Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • what folding bike for a ‘few hundred’?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

My fiancé (strange to call her that, only been engaged a month!!) has been tasked with choosing a folding bike for her work to buy (environmental charity in west london).

They want a bike for staff to get to meetings on, and want it folding so they can take it on trains when necessary.

Apparently the budget is ‘a few hundred’; or ‘less than a brompton’.

Predictably, she has asked me what she should get. Possibly even more predictably, I’m asking you lot 🙂

Any ideas?

Dave

alfabus
    Free Member

(obviously i meant fiancée 🙂 )

Moses

If it’s for a bulk order, and in London, why not ask brompton for a quotation?
    Otherwise look at the Dahon ranges.

alfabus
    Free Member

no, not bulk; i think they just mean one bike for people to share

Dave

flamejob
    Free Member

The problem is all the folding bikes cheaper than a Brompton are rubbish compromised.

If you stick a bunch of non-cyclists on some crappy folding bike that is going to break down quickly, ride really badly, fold nastily or all the above then they are soon going to get the hump and stop using them.

Get them all to buy them on the bike to work scheme, or send them to me. I work Sundays in a ‘large London chain’ that isn’t Evans and every Sunday, without fail, I convert someone to the Brompton way of life.

aP
    Free Member

Just go for the basic brompton with mudguards – I could sell you the one I’ve been riding but a man in a Land Rover drove over it 10 days ago.

Stoner
    Free Member

Bromptons retain their s/h value very very well, whereas a cheapo one will be almost worthless the day you buy it.

As above Id recommend the 2 spd brompton.

They are great.

woffle
    Free Member

I had a Dahon MU XL – came in around £300 with the bike-to-work scheme. Was ‘average’ in just about every way; I certainly wouldn’t recommend one if you’re paying full RRP.

The Strida I had previously was better put together and more fun to ride. if all you’re going to be doing is pottling a couple of miles then check out them out. They’re cheap enough and (if it’s of importance) hold their 2nd hand value well. I sold mine for £190, I bought it for less than £300.

I’m using an Airnimal Joey at the moment and it’s fantastic. Way over your budget though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘what folding bike for a ‘few hundred’?’ is closed to new replies.