Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What floor paint for the Man Cave?
  • PhilO
    Free Member

A major reorganisation of the garage is starting tomorrow with the fitting of a new sectional door… Time to consider painting the elderly concrete floor.

Any recommendations for pareticular brands/types of paint? The floor won’t see a car’s wheels, but I do keep a motorbike in there, so it wants to be reasonably hard wearing.

“Wait until next year’s warmer weather”-type answers are acceptable! 😳

Stoner
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Bedec acrylic paints.

Tracey

We used a couple of coats of Ronseal Diamond after sealing ours, still looks good after 18 months

Edit. Car is run on it daily

hatter

I used Screwfix ‘non nonsense’ garage floor paint and it’s already chipping off after ten months.

Not that impressed TBH. Looks like I’ll be redoing it in a year or so at this rate.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

It has to be grey. It’s the law.

Sealed mine with PVA then got some sort of durable garage floor paint from the local DIY emporium.

hot_fiat

Anyone used the PVC flooring on a roll that Costco sell?

noltae
    Free Member

Whatever you finish it with – basically the more expensive stuff – keep house with a soft brush if durability of finish is a concern.. Ventilation will also help ..

Lakes_Puma

I covered mine with these

Floor tiles

Nice to walk and stand on, feels warmer and stops things clattering and breaking when you drop them.

granny_ring

You’ve missed a bit Tracey.

scruff
    Free Member

I cleaned my concrete floor as best I could (previous owner had an old Alfa Romeo in there and they’re not known for holding onto fluids), I let it dry out but didn’t seal it. Dont know if it was dirt/dust or damp or what but my ‘proper’ Wickes floor paint is coming up after 5 years.

Tracey

Thought the stripe look was ok, even thought about painting the paw prints a coordinating colour. Needed to do it in three parts due to too much stuff in the garage.

st

Crown Epimac for me. I managed to save a couple of tins from the skip when we were clearing the yard on an old construction project.

PVA to seal the concrete and it’s lasted 5 years so far. I will be doing it again in the Spring but that’s due to chips where I’ve dropped things and the screed has been damaged.

I’d recommend leaving it until Spring as I’ll potentially take a disproportionate amount of artificial heat to get it dry in a sensible time.

baldman
    Free Member

I used Leyland Trade floor paint (in STW regulation frigate grey of course 😉 ). Seems very tough as dropped a few things on it with no problems so far (6months)

One 5l tin did two coats on a double garage with a jam jar spare to touch up if I chip it.

Vacuumed out and sealed with waterproof PVA first. Big roller on a pole makes it very easy to do.

tonyd

I just bought some of the Ronseal Diamond stuff. Bugger the battleship grey it’s tile red you need so you can’t see the blood from those botched DIY attempts.

Haven’t put it down yet but it’s a new floor and I’m not going to seal it, just put a thinned down coat on first (says you can on the tin). It was pricey compared to Screwfix etc but I figured it would be worth it – once everything goes back in the garage there’s no way I’ll get to do it again.

petefromearth

Anyone got any experience of the epoxy stuff? I’ll be doing this myself soon. Although the cheap stuff will probably suffice for me I would rather spend more and hopefully never need to do it again.

What’s the coverage and dry time like? Should I seal the floor first with PVA?

mark90
    Free Member

Haven’t put it down yet but it’s a new floor and I’m not going to seal

Make sure you get rid of any laitance on a new concrete floor.

No sealer and a thinned first coat is what I did on mine. The first coat really soaked in well so not just paint sitting on the surface. Hopefully a good bond and will last. Only been down about a month. Used Bradite floor paint, two coats on top of the thinned one.

PhilO
    Free Member

I’d recommend leaving it until Spring as I’ll potentially take a disproportionate amount of artificial heat to get it dry in a sensible time.

This is looking likely… Measured the surface temperature last night at 9C. 😕 On the plus side, I suppose that means not much heat is leaching out of the house into the adjoining garage!

So we have votes for Crown Epimac and Ronseal, and a vote against Screwfix? Thanks all! Any more?

mccett
    Free Member

Always use Leyland Trade floor paint as seems to be very hard wearing – last garage had 2 coats and was good for 13 years (til I moved).

For your motorbike get some of the soft tiles or Costco/JTF do a roll with a checker plate design on to park the bike on. Warm bike tyres in summer will stick to any floor paint you decide to use!

garagejournal.com is a wonderful way to kill hours and hours looking for inspiration.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What floor paint for the Man Cave?’ is closed to new replies.