Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • What first skateboard for a 6 year old?
  • Leku
    Free Member

It has just been added to the Xmas list, but I know nothing of what is good / rubbish.

Happy to spend £40 ish.

Any pointers?

Thanks.

donks
    Free Member

For a first deck agros would do but you can get smaller decks for young uns-
    Our lad got an Enuff deck on line really cheap. Thing is you need to get the wheels and trucks and grip tape etc so all in you are looking at about 60 for a good value deck. Thing with skate boards is that unless the lad has a nice smooth polished concrete park to play on they soon rip through the deck riding around on the lumpy tarmac streets. We have bought our lad about 4 decks in the last 18 months.

kudos100
    Free Member

It’s been a while since i’ve bought a board, but a decent setup costs about £130 I think. The best place to get a cheap one would be a proper skate shop rather than argos or anything like that.

Any of these would do the job:

http://www.skateboardsofchoice.co.uk/skateboards/completes/+price:35:50

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

For a first board it doesn’t really matter. Crap bearings will be a bonus for learning on. Just buy a cheap complete set up. Go to your local skateshop if you want to spend at the upper end of you budget.

Be prepared to start parting with a lot of money if they get into it…

pedalhead
    Free Member

Probably not this one 😉

Haze

Independent Trucks.

Start him off properly.

Cougar
    Leku
    Free Member

Cougar – sorry are you saying that a 6 year shouldn’t skateboard?

If an attempt at humour, please bugger off.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

For a decent starter completes are pretty good. Their own completes are good value. A bit more than you were looking to spend but way better than the cheap rubbish you usually see….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This is a proper board…

SS20 online do a starter one for £55.

Cheaper than that you’re looking at toys, rather than sports goods. But then you are buying for a 6 yr old. I learnt to skate on one of those tiny yellow plastic ones. Then a £10 special from a toy shop. Then 2nd hand off of a big kid, then started having to find £60 a month to replace decks all the time.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Zedsdead you must have a great mind too.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Get something cheap but upgradable – then if he likes it he can spend pocket money on it, if it gets bunged to the back of the garage then little lost.

Cougar

Wow, sense of humour failure much? 😯

Sounds a bit young to me is all, but kids are a mystery to me so who knows.

I’m not saying he “shouldn’t” do anything, it just made me quietly reflect on the fun-packed afternoons that I spent at Accy Vic A&E during my formative years. At six I was a disaster on foot, a skateboard would’ve most likely killed me. But that’s just me, everyone matures at different rates. Clearly.

Leku
    Free Member

Sorry Cougar – everytime I ask a question on here someone comes along and goes all ‘ youdontwantoneofthemyouwantoneofthese’.

Xabi’s nickname is ‘Mr Health and Safety’. He is very safety conscious. His sister is a very different matter (pro base jumper in the making).

Leku
    Free Member

here?]

Renner Z Series Pro Complete Skateboard – Blue
    Our price: £49.99

7.5″ wide board

any good?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I reckon that’d be dandy. If my first board had been anything like that I’d’ve been ‘super stoaked’.

You’ll even be able to play on it yourself!

Cougar

Leku > fair enough, and I take your point. It’s a bone of contention of mine also, particularly in the IT threads.

I do try not to be irreverent unless I can also be helpful, but sometimes I let my guard down.

Buggering off now, happy skateboard-hunting. (-:

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Won’t a kid be seduced more by cool graphics than a ‘good’ board? Give him a boring one and he most likely won’t want to ride it.

kudos100
    Free Member

Did you post the clip of tom penny in the sporting legends thread southern yeti? If so, good shout, penny is one of the all time greats.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeahp, that was me. I’m an Oxford lad so was lucky enough to skate with him a few times before he went global with Flip.

Shiiiit, remember being at Radlands way back when they used to call time on a session by just turning off the lights.

Mr Penny mid kick flip over the big funbox in the middle, lights out, much swearing, but he still rode it out!!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Won’t a kid be seduced more by cool graphics than a ‘good’ board?

Buy some cool stickers for a stocking filler! If there’s one thing I kids like more than cool graphics, it’s cool stickers!

kudos100
    Free Member

Yeahp, that was me. I’m an Oxford lad so was lucky enough to skate with him a few times before he went global with Flip.

Shiiiit, remember being at Radlands way back when they used to call time on a session by just turning off the lights.

Mr Penny mid kick flip over the big funbox in the middle, lights out, much swearing, but he still rode it out!!

That’s pretty damm cool. He was amazing even as a kid. That radlands run is still my favorite of all time.

I remember seeing him skate a mini at a snowboard comp about 15 years ago. He slammed hard trying to land a big kickflip and crawled back up to the top of the platform. After drinking a beer and having a rest he dropped in and landed it first try and then switch frontside flipped out the other side. Legend.

Have you seen any of the videos in the last few years? Bloody ridiculous what they are doing these days.

I’ve given up skating as it hurts too much. Having said that I have dislocated my shoulder and knackered my ankle on jumps on the mountain bike in the last month so I might just be kidding myself….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I watch a bit of stuff on mpora but not watched a full length film for a good few years. Yeah some of the stuff is pretty mental now isn’t it.

I’ve been watching a few of the old classics on youtube. There’s quite a lot of stuff on there now. I’ve got so many skate vids but no VCR!

Haha, I gave up skating for the same reason. Never broke a bone skating though did I, never knocked myself out skating either!! Biking has been a different story!!

Have been toying with the idea of getting a set up for a bit of a mini-ramp session, probably shouldn’t though as I certainly don’t bounce like I used to!

kudos100
    Free Member

lol I still have all my old skate videos, cannot bring myself to throw them out.

Youtube is brilliant, I’ve seen loads of classic parts as well as the newer stuff.

I had a go this summer for a bit, twisted my ankle trying a nollie heelflip and that was enough for me.

Talking about miniramp have you seen almost cheese and crackers? Mental.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Holy Cow!! Nice one, not seen those! Gonna have to try and watch my way through the series at work tomorrow.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘What first skateboard for a 6 year old?’ is closed to new replies.