Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • what first car ?
  • scunnybikedude
    Free Member

hey i soon turn the big 1-7 so as every other teenager in the uk im thinking about starting driving lessons etc, after ive passed ill surprisingly need a car ! so whats a good or a bad first car ? needs to be cheep and reliable ! cheers .

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Micra, Corsa, Ka, something like that, I spose. 1.1l enjin. A few years old.

Otherwise, the insurance will kill you.

Get a banger, cheap and cheerful. What you don’t want is something with a bit of poke, that will only encourage you to get points on yer licence.

Don’t worry about it until you pass, anyway. Get yerself all worked up, then possibly fail.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Or a Ferrari Enzo:

MTT
    Free Member

mx5

ton

got my lad a micra on a r plate.
    only 45k on the clock, 1 owner. £500
    cracking little thing too.
    he is 17 insurance is under a grand fully comp.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

how much you spending?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Deusenberg:

JulianA
    Free Member

What you been drinking RB?! Like your style though 😉

Google for Napier Railton Brooklands (not really first car material – in fact it’s unique!

Sorry for the hijack!

JulianA
    Free Member

Back on topic:

VW Golf Mark II? Polo? Lupo? Fox? Seat Arosa?

My first car was a Beetle (but now I’m old and they’re expensive!)

hora
    Free Member

If your parents can afford- definitely a C1 or Aygo.

alwyn
    Free Member

First Car:

Perfect.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

spend the money on bikes and ride local?

s’wat i did, and blag lifts to trail centers etc.

NowI’m looking at 2CV’s, old cars are properly cheep to insure, especialy when yur a few years older.

ronjeremy
    Free Member

my first car was a 2cv and do you know what i actually regret selling it, it was brilliant and reliable, cheap to run and insure, 602cc engine, with loads of space in the back due to the fact that you can just unbolt the rear seats and remove then, same as the front ones which is great when camping

oh my mum bought it off me and i bought the first of my beetles

coffeeking
    Free Member

Get a USEFUL car – something like a 1.4 peugeot 306 – with the seats down they’ll easily fit multiple bikes, cheap to fix and insure, fairly cheap to run. Petrols get ~35-40ish mpg, TDs get 45+ but cost more to insure. Can be picked up for <500 quid in good working order.

Buy a cheap car, you’re bound to prang it, no point trying to buy a car that costs a lot to insure as they’re just out to get you, and buy a car that fits you and a couple of mates for camping/biking/roadtrips.

I started with a 1.1 pug 205 and had that for 5 years, then moved straight to a monster as the NCB had built up nicely lol. Need a new engine?…£100. Need a new tyre? £20. No such thing as engine management lights, cats or emissions controls to any great extent. Electrics so simply you dont need the dealer to fix stuff.

And drive safely!

postierich
    Free Member

For cruising Sunny Scunny I would say a Datsun Sunny in a Cherry Red colour

Hairychested
    Free Member

CoffeKing – seconded. My neighbour has bought his 1.4 petrol for £200 and it’s a good run. Cheap, decent, reliable.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just dont become a skanger me banger type 🙂

As a side point, the 205 and 306 seem to be almost impervious to rust. My MOTer pointed out that he has seen thousands of them and never seen one with rust other than where there’s crash damage.

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

The apprentice in my work bought a spitfire mainly for the reason he could get cheap classic insurance.Its not for everyone but if you don’t mind a bit of spannerwork and could put up with no power steering, central locking etc it could be the way to go.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I could never find cheap classic insurance, most of the companies refused to insure a young driver on a classic. I considered a classic corvette as my first car but the insurance ended that dream 🙁

IHN

Golf.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Jesus not a golf, save yourself from having to drive an agricultural box of bolts! (assuming we’re talking about ones in the price range of a new driver)

flatback
    Free Member

to save on insurance, to use with your bikes, to lose very little money in depreciation i would get a small little van, like a fiesta it may need not be the best idea for impressing everybody, but you wont have to drive all your mates everywhere as they wont all fit, and when you have a lady friend out for a night , plenty of room to stretch out

saladdodger
    Free Member

I just bought my lad a ford Ka

he insured it for £920 fully comp which for a 17 year old learner is a bargain

alwyn
    Free Member

Saladdodger, from experience that will double after he passes his test.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I started with a 1989 Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6l with a 4 speed box 😉 Man, it was pants, but so basic that the thing just kept going! Didn’t bother with fully comp insurance and repaired anything that needed repairing by popping down the scrap yard in Clydebank!

Get something old, cheap and BASIC. Electrics are bad! Look at insurance groups and keep below Ins 10 (think that was where it started getting expensive when I was young), then go 3rd party insurance.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘what first car ?’ is closed to new replies.