Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • what fatish tyres for my roadrat
  • grievoustim
    Free Member

My roadrat is loking pretty sorry for itself – so I’m going to spend some money on it.

I use it for a short commute to work and as a pub/ riding around brighton bike

I want to fit fairly fat slick tyres (the roads in Brighton a fairly rubbish in places and the forks on the roadrat are pretty harsh)

Puncture protection also pretty key

Anyone using anything good? I want to go as fat as I can whilst still using full mudguards

Thanks

Tim

trail_rat
    Free Member

have you got the carbon forks ? the steel forks are far from harsh ime.

ive got 35s (winter marathons) tucked under guards no bother on mine – room for 45s i reckon – guards might need some working with 45s though.

normally ride it with 25s though – much nicer bike.

BadlyWiredDog

the steel forks are far from harsh ime

Seriously? The ones on my old Rat were quite stiff. What are you comparing them too? The carbon forks on the original X were significantly nicer, particularly off road.

grievoustim
    Free Member

mine is an old original roadrat – the newer steel forks may be better than mine are

trail_rat
    Free Member

kona p2s on my ragley – the tire does all the flexing there….

many cheap straight blade carbon road forks on 500-1k bikes

the spesh carbon forks on my singlecross.

the road rat forks have a nice twang about them.

steezysix
    Free Member

Continental Sport Contacts in 700x37mm for me – fast as flip on the road and I’ve never had a puncture in a year of commuting (including a fully loaded 2 week tour in Europe). Can be got fairly cheap too, think mine were £30 for the pair without shopping around for deals.

timbur
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of PHAT Michelin slicks you can have a play with Tim.
    700cx38’s IIRC.
    Really nice on the Tricros SS in road mode as was. Pump them up and they are a hoot. A bit PHAT for my Tripster now though. running Freedom Slicks with puncture protection on that. Skinny but faff free.
    Tim

BadlyWiredDog

the road rat forks have a nice twang about them.

I’m guessing they’re different from the ones on mine which were the replacements for the original forks which were recalled. I’ve got some steel forks on a Soma Double Cross and they’re a much more supple ride.

I had some Smart Sams on mine for a while, big ones, 1.75s I think, and they fit fine at the front, but fouled the derailleur at the front, there’s a fair bit of clearance if you have a single ring I think. Was running Bonty CX0s 700×38 on the Soma and they’d fit, converted tubeless nicely on Crest 29er and would slot straight into a Road Rat.

nedrapier

I’ve got 35c Vittoria Hyper Randonneurs on my Peregrine. Quite light, nearly slick. Got those reflective bands on them. Had a couple of punctures in a couple of thousand miles.

They replaced some cream 2″ Fat Franks which were quite fun and steam rollery. Partly because they were effing heavy (saved a kilo by going to the Vittorias). They gave me more toe overlap than was handy, too. they still go back on for spring time tarting about about before I get bored of the weight.

midlifecrashes

Big Apples are good, and puncture resistant

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted some Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, racy and big. Cheap from bike discount.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘what fatish tyres for my roadrat’ is closed to new replies.