Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What fast rolling dual ply tyre for trail riding?
  • fasternotfatter
    Free Member

I have been running dual ply 2.5 minions for most of the year and I love the fact I never get pinch flats any more but the weight and drag are just unbearable. I tried using a 2.25 ardent from my XC bike but it just doesn’t feel right so what other tyre choices do I have? It is for a 140mm hardtail and I ride all over the peaks.

chrisdw
    Free Member

High roller II’s with the exo casing. It’s a bit like 1.5 ply.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Have you thought about tubeless? Maxxis LUST tyres tubeless are on a 100% reliability rate for me.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Larsons work for me everywhere, I just found out they do them in dual ply super tacky. They could be perfect for you.

creamegg
    Free Member

Tubeless. Zero pinch flats since i converted over 18 months ago. Use any tyre you want

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Wouldn’t the super tacky just increase the drag factor? With two 60a minion dhfs on there is so much drag that I feel like I am towing a caravan.

llama

High rollers or 2.35 single ply minions?
    Dh tubes?
    Tubeless?
    More pressure?

legend
    Free Member

Good lord, no tyre is going to feel “right” after running 2.5 dual ply DH tyres on an all round hardtail 😯

More pressure? Stop smashing stuff? Ride smoother?

tomaso
    Free Member

2.35 minion rear or high roller dual ply 60a will save a chunk of weight over the 2.5. I think the dhf minion grips better but doesn’t,t roll as well.

Left field choice the bargaintastic on one chunky monkey would save some weight and still maintain puncture impunity 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

There is bigger all drag on a 60a Larson so there will probably be just a little on the 42a. I’m not sure if they do a 62a dual ply.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

2.35 minions and 2.4 high roller 2 both look good choices.

Legend – “Stop smashing stuff?” Impossible! This is why I ride.

mikey74
    Free Member

Specialized 2.35 Butcher or Clutch SX – around 900g

stevede
    Free Member

I reckon the new Schwalbe Rock Razor in super gravity casing would suit you http://www.pinkbike.com/news/First-Look-and-Riding-Impressions-Two-New-Tires-From-Schwalbe.html
    I ran a dual ply Larsen TT in super tacky as a rear for a while and it was fine (it’s on my dj hardtail now).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What fast rolling dual ply tyre for trail riding?’ is closed to new replies.