Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • what external bottom bracket??
  • renton
    Free Member

ive just tried to fit my superstar bb to my new 456 frame and its completely killed the threads on the bottom bracket(not the frame)

it seems they are made of cheese and pretty shit.

what bb can people recommend , im running an lx chainset .

dont want to spend much

cheers

steve

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I suggest running a tap through the treads 1st whatever you fit, all cups are only soft alloy and no match to a rough steel.

jam-bo

should have tried fitting them with a rock.

jonathan
    Free Member

What he said re the threads – tap or at least wire brush new threads on a frame like that.

But lucky escape on the ss bb, the one I tried lasted one ride 😉

I'm getting good life out of Raceface BBs recently with their full grease fill. Otherwise shop about for whichever shimano one you can get cheap.

renton
    Free Member

ive only used the supershitstar one for about 3 rides.

took it off my old frame, one bearing was smooth , the other was as rough and as dry as a badgers arse!!

i will never by stuff from that toss place again!!

tangobravo
    Free Member

Cross threaded? Faced and chased i presume? I think not, theres the problem!

User error blamed on parts

renton
    Free Member

nope its the start of the thread on the cup that has threaded.

frame is fine.

tangobravo
    Free Member

So you have mashed it into one frame and your mashing it into another and the threads are buggered

it sounds like it went in the first one fine, and probbably cross threaded which is why it died? Just guessing, i could be wrong.

Rickos
    Free Member

I need a new HT II BB and was looking at Hope for their easy serviceability. TBH though my Shimano ones seem to last very well, just I nipped it up a wee bit tight this time round so it's only lasted 10 months. Previous one was 2 years and is prolly still OK, but I was swapping frames and thought a new BB was about due.

renton
    Free Member

nope you are wrong.

it went into my old frame no problems.

ive come to put it in this frame after cleaning the threads out on the frame and the start of the thread on one cup has just disintergrated leaving me iunable to get it to seat correctly to screw it into the frame.

made of cheese bag of shite

tangobravo
    Free Member

just disintergrated….

JRA lol

tinsy
    Free Member

I bought a deore off the bay for £20 and a set of bearings for £5 to re build my old XT as a spare.

renton
    Free Member

JRA ??

njee20
    Free Member

'Just riding along…'

As in, I was just riding along and my frame snapped into 84 pieces and both my wheels buckled.

Or… I'm hamfisted and forced a b/b into a frame thereby buggering it. Stupid bottom bracket.

You need to clean the threads on the new one, and be more careful with whatever you fit, there's nowt particularly wrong with the threads on Superstar b/bs!

Offroading
    Free Member

Had a near similar issue with my supersht BB – it wouldn't thread into the frame at all which i knew was fine etc. Resorted to using a wire pick to remove the red locktight stuff on the BB threads – went in fine after that.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

bump 😀

renton
    Free Member

lol at chunky!!!

just figured it out after reading the superstar thread!!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Now why would someone be bumping an old thread, which coincidentally has posts on it from a certain tangobravo? Hmmm……

BlingBling
    Free Member

SSC are now selling rocks in the "tools" section of their website.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘what external bottom bracket??’ is closed to new replies.