Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What DX Torch for a helmet light (sorry) ?
  • mlpinto
    Free Member

Hi,

I know there has been a few DX light threads of late so sorry to start another, but I’m after a flashlight to use mounted to my helmet to be used alongside one of the original DX 900 lumen lights that I have mounted on my bars.

Obviously there are a lot of options on DX and I can fairly easily pick a 900 lumen flashlight with an 18650 battery. What I’m after is if anyone has a recommendation they can make based on experience for a unit that performs well, has been reliable and that is reasonably weatherproof.

My current thoughts are one of these mounted using one of these.

I’d be grateful for any pointers…

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I’ve been using a couple of TR-801s as helmet lights for the last 18 months and they’ve been great even though they’re only 230 Lumens.

I can’t comment on the P7 light you’ve linked to although I’ve just ordered This XM-LT6 Light which is smaller and lighter than the P7 one for similar money.

The mount works fine – get a couple coz they’re always useful.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

I got one of these and the little nylion mount last year.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-c1-cree-r2-wc-5-mode-memory-led-flashlight-2-cr123a-1-18650-14443

It’s been great. I get a decent runtime, even with it on high. It’s only 250 lumens, but it’s very focussed and throws the light far. It basically throws a wee spotlight on what you are looking at, which is what you want, really.
    Cheap and light also.

I just bought one of the mega cheap assault crown XML lights. It’s on the bar, and has replaced the old P7 torch I was using. It has quite a focussed hot spot too, and a fair old throw, so I’m thinking it might make a decent head light. I may relegate it to helmet use next winter.

craig1975
    Free Member

ive been using a p7 for a couple of years on my helmet, works a treat, im punting it with a charger and three battery’s if your interested

benz
    Free Member

This dx torch, assuming you have 18650 batteries, etc already does not look bad for the cash….

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-wf504b-xm-lt6-5-mode-510-lumen-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-black-1-x-18650-57099

benz
    Free Member

Should also work fine with USE Exposure helmet mount…well the MCE and P7 ones I have do just that no probs….just ensure that you get the smaller diameter exposure mount….

stevemorg2

I’m running the XPG version of this:

http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1060

great little torch and fits perfectly in a Joystick helmet mount!

bigjim

I was looking at those little Yezl lights – are they floody or focused?

mlpinto
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies. It’s certainly given me some more ideas…

Craig YGM, if that does work out I think I’ll go with Benz’s suggestion…

z1ppy

Which ever one you choose (I got a P7 MCE ages ago – XML would be my choice now), I recommend making sure it has more than three modes (high/low/flashing). You may end up with another annoying flashing modes, but the low on these units are far too low (high too much for road use), you need a low/medium/high settings to get the best out of them IMO.

rob
    Free Member

this one
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-th-t60-ha-ii-xm-lt60-5-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-x-18650-904457007
    high/med/low plus 2 flashing settings
    using one on the bars
    1 battery lasts me a weeks commute on a mixture of low and med settings
    seems fairly well put together, double o ring seals on tail cap have kept it dry inside
    just bought another one off ebay to use on me head for £12

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Sigh……

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What DX Torch for a helmet light (sorry) ?’ is closed to new replies.