Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What does the Internet cost?
  • CountZero

So, I was browsing a science/technology/whatever blog, and a student reference librarian asks the question as posed by her professor: “What does the Internet cost? All of it, globally, from the very beginning. The electricity it takes to run every server, every laptop. The salaries. The grants. The cost of every bit of fiber optic cable in the ground around the world, every little detail.” From the point of view of the most ignorant inquirer.
    It elicited a lot of answers, so just to be perverse, and as a bit of fun, I thought I’d pose the same question to the STW Hive Mind.

baldSpot
    Free Member

I’d say about the same as Motorways

GlitterGary
    Free Member

$5.

bassspine
    Free Member

very interesting question. It would also be interesting to estimate how much it earns.

lesoxdh
    Free Member

I worked for a ISP and there was a £3 difference in the price of there phone line plan and the phone line and broadband plan. Also the company made no profit on the service until the 16 month of service being active. So give or take it’s about £2 to the £3 a month unless your service is piggybacked of another ISP.

starsh78
    Free Member

£6.99 a month…..

tomaso
    Free Member

Everytime you click your mouse a baby seal dies

xiphon
    Free Member

Impossible to measure, really.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I bet you Osama Bin Laden never knew that clicking would kill a seal, else he would have been clicking like mad 😉

globalti
    Free Member

No money at all but it inconveniences a hell of a lot of electrons.

molgrips
    Free Member

It is impossible to disentangle from the wider economy by now I’d have thought. And therefore any estimate of how much it actually costs in terms of paying for servers, lines etc is meaningless because presumably only a net cost (geddit? 🙂 ) is important. So you’d have to subtract all the money it makes and saves.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Everytime you click your seal a baby mouse dies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What does the Internet cost?’ is closed to new replies.