• This topic has 40 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by beej.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What does the average family spend on food per month?
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

What do you all spend on food per month?
    We (2 adults & 2 children under 4) seem to spend a frikkin’ fortune!!

maccruiskeen

As an average it used to be about 25% of peoples annual expenditure back in the 70s and 80s. These days its more like 10%. But because we’ve become accustomed to all the fun we deserve to have with the other 90% we spend less but resent spending the money more.

Stoner
    Free Member

Not sure. A big shop every 7-10 days or so is about £100. Strip out nappies, sherry and shaving foam and it’s around £75 a week I guess.

That’s for 2 adults, 4yr old and baby.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Around £600 a month – 2 adults, 2 19 month olds.

crikey
    Free Member

About £600 a month, plus a fair bit. 5 of us.

Simon

Approx. £100 per week. 2 adults, kids age 6 & 8

hh45
    Free Member

good question. really depends whether you are able to cook or not. Basic ingredients are v cheap, veg, pasta, rice, a bit of cheese/eggs/meat/fish and some bread and away you go – £25 per head per week max. If you are can’t cook and insist on buying M&S ready meals and loads of air freighted and out of season stuff (and you have a decent appetite) then I expect you are in for about 4x as much (and it will be much less healthy). you takes your choice…..

Stoner
    Free Member

hh45 – that seems to ring true.

We cook from scratch every day. Meat maybe only twice or three times a week, fish once.

When I batch cook (beef stew, sausage casserole, curries, lasagne, chilli etc) I usually calculate how much a portion is and it’s never more than £1.25 per person per portion and thats using locally sourced meat (not from supermarket). I have a small freezer just for batches of meals. Means I dont have to cook everyday.

emsz
    Free Member

My food budget is £25 a week. Just me though

restless
    Free Member

about £150 per week 😯 for myself and 3 children.
    but that includes nappies and toiletries and cleaning stuff.

nwilko
    Free Member

2 adults, 2kids 10/13yrs ~ £130 – £150 /week..

how i managed on £30/week inc beer as a student ill never know..

Nick

I can’t believe £150 a week, what are you including in that?

chewkw
    Free Member

Food bill per week per person if you cook yourself.

Per adult = £25 – £30 max.
    Per Teen = £30 – £35 max.
    Per kid = £20 – £25 max.

More than the above you are going gain weight easily.

Moderation and quality.

🙂

beej

Agree with lots of posts, £25 per adult per week if you cook properly. Our spend is split between Sains, Waitrose and the Farmers Market (mainly meat from there, and cake).

donsimon
    Free Member

Was about 45-50€ per week for just me but it appears to have gone up by about 10-15€ thanks to an incompetent government. 😥

taka
    Free Member

£500 a month 1 adult and 2 bears shopping at aldi

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

£25 a week minimum here. Feeding one person is less economical than feeding a family. Normally at least £30+. And I’m not a big eater, or one who buys snacks/ready cooked stuff/convenience food.

djglover
    Free Member

I’d say that we spend 25 quid a person per week suggested above, all meals prepared from scratch pretty much. Perhaps a bit more as we tend to eat a lot of meat and fish but shop around from it, for example free range belly pork from waitrose is £5 per kilo, good steak is over 6X that there. Fish from the fishmonger is £10 a kilo, waitrose is double that. Feather steak is great in a casserole but costs 3/4 what diced beef costs.

I just made a Nigel slater spag bol, really good recipe and it works out £1.25 per head.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Agree with lots of posts, £25 per adult per week if you cook properly. Our spend is split between Sains, Waitrose and the Farmers Market (mainly meat from there, and cake).

someones missus aint telling them how much they are really spending, just like you probably dont tell them what your bike bits cost

what you buying from waitrose? a carrier bag?

Stoner
    Free Member

waitrose is no more expensive for the regular stuff (marmite, butter, cooking cheese, orange/apple juices etc) than any other supermarket.

Just dont go to town on the mature stilton, smoked salmon and guavas.

samuri
    Free Member

I’d say around 100-125 quid a week for two adults and one almost adult.

But almost everything we eat is fresh and we all eat loads of fruit.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

no way you can leave without a packet of duchy shortbread though

djglover
    Free Member

I use waitrose a lot some of the basics at waitrose are cheaper than morrisons, plus the ‘forgotten cuts’ at the meat counter are great value and tasting and beat any other supermarket butcher, in fact any butcher in our area.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Jeez were definately over spending then. Need to log what we spend for the next month to see an accurate figure. At the mo I’m guessing it’s around the £1k per month including toiletries. It could easily be more though.
    That is a vegetarian house hold with the OH doing all the shopping and cooking. She tends to favour the organic produce but doesn’t waste hardly anything at all. All food bought gets used one way or the other. Not convenience food either 90% of food Is made from scratch.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

waitrose is no more expensive for the regular stuff (marmite, butter, cooking cheese, orange/apple juices etc) than any other supermarket.

No, but the trouble is, when in Waitrose it’s impossible to not buy some of the lovely nice things what they have! 🙂

Their meat is well overpriced in comparison to other supermarkets, and actually no better, not the stuff off the shelf, anyway. My local one in Canary Wharf gets some of it’s fresh fish from Billingsgate (almost next door) allegedly, although I’m not entirely convinced. Nice squid though. Mmm…

I find a blend of Waitrose and LiDLs means I can eat well, have lots of nice tasty nutritious food, and not spend a fortune.

I will never shop in Iceland.

taxi25
    Free Member

£150 a week on food for a family of four!!!! obviously you can but you don’t need to spend a anything like that. I do most of the family cooking and most things are made from scratch. Just food is about £60-70 per week.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually that’s without beer. I probbly spend about £40-50 a week including beer, and that’s just bottles/cans, not pubs and that.

BillMC

Blimey I seem to spend a lot for one at Waitrose but I do try to balance out the expensive bits with the reduced stuff that’s about to go out of date. £60pw, often more when I include the wine ???

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Including alcohol and all the other housey bits… cleaning stuff an’ that… I reckon I spend £50-£60 pw at Waitrose.

ojom
    Free Member

2 of us. 13 quid veg box and 6 eggs from farm.
    Lass buys maybe 2 small packs of chicken usually free range thighs and legs.
    Porridge for brekkie etc
    Home spend about 20 per week between 2
    Out of home probably avg 3 pound each per day on lunch.
    This does not include my drink and coffees of which she partakes of neither.

Neil-F
    Free Member

2 adults, 13 year old and a 11 year old.
    We spend from £100 to £140 a week at Tesco, not including meat, chicken or fish, which I bulk buy from work.
    This includes beer, toiletries, cleaning stuff and dog and cat food.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Love the smugness on here. We’re obviously in the strange position of working full time, dropping the kids off/picking them up from school and nursery.

The inconsiderate farmers Market, butcher and grocer all seem to shut when I’m not busy so we tend to shop on one of those supermarkets. So nowt to do with choice and everything to do with convienience.

Anyway, to be truly smug, you should grow your own food.

restless
    Free Member

i think i spend too much then 🙁

MrKmkII
    Free Member

holy hell what are you guys eating?! me and my partner rarely spend over £25 a week IN TOTAL, by farmfoods and lidl prudence.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

may i pre-empt your responses?

“farmfoods and lidl? commoners, get out!” 😉

dirtyrider
    Free Member

no, you dont, you maybe pay more for convenience, but unlike some of the posters in this thread you dont try and come across houlier than thou by saying you spend £1.03 a week to feed a family of 900

Hairychested
    Free Member

I used to spend £15 per week a few years ago when I was single. Two years ago we were spending some £100 per week, mostly Sainsbury’s, also Waitrose and Tesco.
    Nowadays, we spend 150 Euro per week and we shop mostly locally (have good shops next door). I almost stopped drinking though (a couple of pints and some peanuts – 10 Euro).Bloody expensive this business of feeding a family.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Hairy, isn’t it just you, yer missus and a little-un? How the flange do you manage to spend that much?? 😯

I could probably just about live on £15 a week, but it’s be very boring, and I’d probably have terrible wind. 😳

swollen
    Free Member

again?

Wharfedale
    Free Member

me, wife, 14 month baby & dog. I’d guess around £400-500PM but that does inc some wine, nappies etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What does the average family spend on food per month?’ is closed to new replies.