Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)
  • What does mtbing do to your body?
  • Bunnyhop

Obviously it will keep you fit.

I was thinking more of the downsides. E.g I was reading recently that cycling is not good for you bones as it’s not a weight bearing exercise.
    Also I was wondering how our joints fare. They must take some battering after years of descending bumpy, rocky, rooty terrain, even with modern suspension.

In my mind the benefits for body and mind far outweigh the negatives.

myopic
    Free Member

I think that road cyling may not be weight bearing exercise, but not so off road – if our joints take the battering you mentioned, then they must be weight bearing – no?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Makes me fitter and possibly marginally slimmer.

Makes me ache, lots of scratches, some crash damage.

Time will tell if it was worth trade off, but I suspect it is.

Harry_the_Spider

After 20 years…

Some scar tissue
    Crooked middle finger on left hand
    Limited range of movement in left shoulder
    Some surgery to afore mentioned shoulder
    Shagged out left knee

However, thanks to MTB I’m fitter and happier, with some fantastic friends and memories.

ton

it makes my ankles hurt a bit, but that is just old rugby injuries letting me know i should have stopped earlier.

compared to contact sports cycling is nice and easy on the body.

Drac

I was reading recently that cycling is not good for you bones as it’s not a weight bearing exercise.

Where as running isn’t either as there’s a lot of impact load.

Everything in moderation.

andyjh

I think the benefits far outweigh the potential downsides. Take an average couch potato and what the total lack of exercise throughout their life does to them and I’d rather have a few knocks and bruises along with a healthy heart 🙂

psycorp
    Free Member

Wrists are a bit knackered. Lots of scars on shins and arms. I have exercise induced asthma which the mountain biking doesn’t help (anecdotal but if I don’t ride for a bit my breathing seems to improve).

Unless I have too I won’t be stopping any time soon though.

badnewz
    Free Member

It helps it, massively. Relatively low-impact on joints, no major twisting, good all-round cardio.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s all in the phrasing. Cycling might not be good for your bones but it’s not bad for them. Sitting on the sofa isn’t weight bearing either. I know what I’d rather be doing.

If you have something in particular that needs addressing, it might be useful to consider something to supplement your cycling. Maybe a well structured strength and conditioning routing might help.

hora
    Free Member

Its fantastic compared to
    Football
    5-aside especially
    Running
    Rugby

Its interval training, body core, hike a bike, balance, mental agility, calming.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

An osteo doc told me recently that it’s common for people with borked knees to be able to ride bikes when walking is a problem for them, so it’s not just me. OK, I can still walk to the shops, but I can ride a bike for two or three hours.

Where did the view ‘cycling isn’t weight-bearing exercise’ come from? And don’t forget fresh air and sunlight, shame about the grass pollen though.

kayak23

What does mtbing do to your body?

Well this is me before I discovered enduro.

The second picture is from doing 2 hours of level 2 enduro weekly, and the third picture is where I’m at now. Full enduro.
    8)

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s **** my shoulders. Both of them. Completely.

hora
    Free Member

Is that falls though?

kerley
    Free Member

It is not a downside that it is not bone enhancing, it is not as though it is bad for you bones (just not good like some other stuff).

No downsides for the sort of riding I do – fastish XC. Low impact with very good cardio and a bit better than road because of the need to actually move your body above the waist, stand up a bit more etc,.

cinnamon_girl

Enduro? In the gym?

molgrips
    Free Member

I was reading recently that cycling is not good for you bones as it’s not a weight bearing exercise.

Sceptical – cycling may not be as good for bone density as some other exercises, but I doubt it’s actually BAD for them.

In any case, I read years ago that MTBers have something like 30% greater bone density than roadies due to all the shock and vibrations. Although that was years before 6″ travel enduro machines were commonplace 🙂

Just go to the Alps and count how many incredibly old cyclists there are still winching themselves up passes, and then compare that with the numbers of similarly aged runners or footballers….

qwerty
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure its given me piles.

gee
    Free Member

Kayak – I’m reading that eastern style from right to left, correct?

cookeaa

Mountain biking you say?

I consider myself living proof… No really.

grahamt1980

We had heard that shares in kleenex have gone up due to excess sales round your way 😀

senorj

I’m reading that eastern style from right to left, correct?

haha..
    whats that bronski beat song?….beat boy,beat boy….. 😀
    Fair play Kayak…

back to op..It’s given me alot of scars,comedy calves and thighs that do not fit into pants that match my waist…

grahamt1980

Wouldn’t say it’s the effect on my body of mtb. Doesn’t do that much.
    It’s the affect on my head and general wellbeing that makes it worth whatever I have paid out on it

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

dpfr

Improved my long term dodgy back, neck and shoulder no end

iainc

One GP said it could have been contributory to my Prostrate Cancer. My surgeon said very unlikley tho..

They did both reckon that epidiymal cysts could be bike related…

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Well my neck feels pretty **** from When I hit the deck on Saturday felt like I was in a car accident when I woke up this morning.

Alex

I have exercise induced asthma which the mountain biking doesn’t help

That’s odd as it’s been brilliant for mine. Peak flow improved over 15% (and then pretty much stayed there) since I started riding/switched asthma medication/attended SMART clinics. Was recommended to start cycling again by my previous doc.

Lots of broken/healed bits but definitely worth it. Only thing I KNOW it does for sure is shorten your hamstrings…

stevedoc
    Free Member

Makes me look like a selfharmer to my legs and arms and after a large off last week now cant stand straight ,bad back

Apart from that , my knees have been so much better since jacking football in 18 months ago

chambord
    Free Member

I got a horse fly bite the other day, now my leg is the wrong size.

Other than that, no ill effects here.

Goldigger
    Free Member

It makes my Gooch numb if I spend to long in the saddle…

BadlyWiredDog

It’s what it’s done to my brain that worries me.

Bunnyhop

Kayak23 – that’s amazing.

I completely agree that for the mind mtbing is perfect. I’t helped me get over stress and mild depression.

One of the reasons I was asking about mtbing being bad for your joints is that after breaking my hip nearly 12 months ago, the doctor doesn’t think I should be out on my bike (easy cycling yes but not full on mtbing), could this be that jarring this joint which is screwed, could be doing me more harm than good?
    Atm I can’t do any other activities or sports.

The fact that without mtbing (only started again in April) I’d be a nut case, so have chosen to ignore his advice.

kayak23

Bunnyhop – Member
    Kayak23 – that’s amazing.

Just in case it wasn’t clear..that ain’t me like…
    🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I bet they don’t really understand mountain biking so are going with the theory of “if in doubt, chicken out”.

I’ve no doubt that a serious fall would be bad news but I’m guessing the comment wasn’t after careful consideration of the biomechanics.

molgrips
    Free Member

Consult a sports doctor. Non-biking GPs don’t get it.. 🙂

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

What mountainbiking has done to my body, as of last week, third time my ribs have been redesigned since I started as well as a dislocated arm in the past and various minor injuries, knees, fingers, wrists, but it oddly seems worth it, to push my limits and the adrenaline..

psycorp
    Free Member

Alex – Member

That’s odd as it’s been brilliant for mine. Peak flow improved over 15% (and then pretty much stayed there) since I started riding/switched asthma medication/attended SMART clinics. Was recommended to start cycling again by my previous doc.

all different I guess…………..

molgrips
    Free Member

You people need to learn to stay on your bikes 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘What does mtbing do to your body?’ is closed to new replies.