Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What does bimodal mean?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

*embarrassed mode on*

Mmm lads year 7 maths homework, question is what does bimodal mean and give an example.
    *I shall give my a level maths training back*

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Imagine a woman lying down on her back. You are looking at her head down. That’s bimodal.

Either that – or imagine a ‘bumpy road’ sign.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m none the wiser. As in two exact rises on a graph? I’ve really no idea!

schmiken

The probability distribution function looks like boobs – I.e. It has two maxima.

Can you tell I’m a somewhat immature maths teacher?

Edit: for a Year 7 question, something like a set of data with two modes, 2, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7, 8.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Heh, it’s one of the latest management buzz words in my office at the moment.

Gartner released some report saying that larger corporations need to adopt agile software development practices else they risk being left behind; but also need to stick with the existing way of doing things for applications already deployed.

Hence we are now ‘bimodel’, which in reality means that there are even more headless chickens – product owners now think that being agile means they can change their minds every 5 minutes…

…probably not the example you were looking for 😛

eddie11
    Free Member

it can be used to mean trains that can run on two different power sources electric or diesel. but i don’t think its that.

karlp
    Free Member

BEB do you perhaps work for a large high St bank that likes a bit of horse action?

wrightyson
    Free Member

And finally what is the mode in this sequence
    21 8 5 0 14 17 1 27 32

RichPenny
    Free Member
    sheeps

In my line of work (warehouse design) it means loading both trains and lorries… But I’m guessing that’s not quite what a 7 year olds teacher is getting at. I like the boob theory

kayak23

It’s two modals innit. Obvious 🙄

wrightyson
    Free Member

Cheers fellas.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

A catwalk model that gets an middling pay rate between the well paid women and badly paid men? 😉

maccruiskeen

It’s two modals innit. Obvious

or one Modal that swings both ways

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’d hope that the boy knows the answers to his homework – it’s his homework, not his dad’s. I wish parents would realise they’re not helping by doing their kids’ homework for them!!

PS, no, I have no idea what bimodal is, despite also having done maths at A level.

Rubber_Buccaneer

The trouble with trying to help kids with their homework is that you need to understand what and how the teacher is teaching them. Otherwise you can add to the confusion for the poor kid

In this situation I think bimodal means there are two modes and for the set without a mode the answer will be that there is no mode. This may not be the correct answer.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Helping your children with their homework is a great thing to do imho. I don’t just fill it in for him we go through it and I explain where needed. I’d possibly have to ask if the subject has been taught then why did he have no idea what it was?

jam-bo

I’d possibly have to ask if the subject has been taught then why did he have no idea what it was?

he wasn’t listening?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What does bimodal mean?’ is closed to new replies.