Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • What do your kids call their grandparents?
  • ncfenwick
    Free Member

Hello fellow parents,

My wife gave birth to our baby daughter recently and the topic of grandparents names has been raised. I prefer Grandma and Grandpa, my wife prefers Nan and Grandad and my mum wants to be called Granny!

Who decides or do we just leave it up to my daughter when she starts talking? How did your family deal with it?

Cheers

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Ask the Grandparents.

Stoner
    Free Member

Has always been granny and grandad in my family.

Once Jr Sr was old enough to have a go at saying it himself it came out as Ninny. So that’s stuck. Ninny and Grandad.

Other granny has always been Granny B. (Bee) and so she remains.

A mate on the farm had Gunny and Gumbi for granny and grandad. They were ace 😉

derekrides
    Free Member

Dandad is the norm..

Markie
    Free Member

In our family the grandparents chose.

Cougar

Sir and Ma’am. Show some bloody respect, kids of today, etc.

clubber
    Free Member

Grandparents chose. Sort of as it only stuck for the granddads. mini clubber calls one Gran ‘Chat Chat’ and the other ‘Bling Bling’. Both seem to quite like their names though I’m sure they’ll change/evolve as he gets older…

wwaswas

I thought we’d arrived at ‘babe’ as the greeting du jour?

crazy-legs

I’ve no idea how this stuck but one set of Grandparents were called Grandma and Grandpa and the other set were Nan (or Nana) and Grandad.

I guess maybe my parents called them that to differentiate (we’re off to visit Grandma and Grandpa”) and we just grew up with it…

carlosg
    Free Member

My kids have (due to divorce/remarriage) 3 Grandads , 2 Grandmas and a Nanna.

I think let the Grandparent decide what they want to be called.

wwaswas

When I was a kid we had;

Big Grandad and Big Grandma (both over 6ft tall)

&

Little Grandad and Little Grandma (both under 5’6″)

In retrospect Little Grandad may have felt a bit peeved.

My kids have;

Nanny and Grandpa (my wife’s parents)

and

Grandma and Grandad (mine)

we chose but did discuss it with all parties.

mega
    Free Member

the child will probably decide

our first decided on Mia for his grandma (her name is Elaine)

Mia followed on from Mamma in his 1 year old mind, after exposure to Abba and various Italians

Junkyard
    Free Member

opi [ german] and nana
    Grandad and nan
    Gran and papa

ask the grandparents what they want to be known as thankfully they all picked something different

yunki
    Free Member

Grandparents/eldest cousin chose really..

Granny and Bubba on one side and Grandma and Grandpa on the other..

Oh.. and Grandad Bus and Grandpa Nigel..

pretentious twaddle if you ask me..
    what’s wrong with Nan and Grandad..?

scholarsgate
    Free Member

My folks are Grandma and Grandpa
    Wifes folks are Nanny and Grandad.

My daughters always know who we are referring to.

kimbers

for some insane reason known only to her daily mail warped mind my mum has insisted that my son calls her nana, which is fine, but my dad has to be called poppa?!!?

Harry_the_Spider

My kids call my wife’s parents Tea Cake Grandma & Grandad and my parents Other Grandma & Grandad.

My wife’s parents give them tea cakes, mine don’t.

AdamW
    Free Member

We had a nana and dada and a nain and taid.

jamj1974

Both sides called Grandma (name) and Grandad (name) by our children. We chose what our parents would be termed. After all they would be called that title by our children…

GrahamS

We’ve got:

Mappa and Grandad – my wife’s parents.

Mappa and Grumps – my mum and partner.

Nanna Caz and Gee Da – my dad and partner.

“Mappa” was our daughters own creation. We think it is probably a conjoining of grandma and grandpa. “Nanna Caz” and “Gee Da” are what happens if you let the grandparents choose their own names 🙄

LadyGresley
    Free Member

My kids had a Granny & Grandpa, and a Grandma & Grandad – chosen by each set of grandparents – worked out nicely I thought!
    I personally can’t abide a grandmother being called ‘nanny’ – that’s a hired help!

chomp
    Free Member

we’ve got a grandma and gramps (my parents) and a nanny and grandad (wife’s parents)

nice to be able to differentiate between them I think

cr500dom
    Free Member

Nanny and Grandad, although it seems to be Nana & Addy at the moment (at 20 months, sure it will change)

BB

Grumpy and Grand-mere.

Grand-mere chose Grumpy’s name…….

BB

Graggy and Pop’s on the other side.

Taff
    Free Member

My nieces and nephews refer to them as Mamgu and Dadcu for the welsh side and granny and gramps on the other side.

Drac

Our eldest called my MIL Grandma and my parents Nana and Granda her sister just copied her. I’m not sure there’s any rules.

ncfenwick
    Free Member

I understand there are no rules, was more interested to see how the name thing evolved. My mum wants to be called Granny but I assume it will be us as parents who influence it in the end. Hence my parents will probably be called Grandma/Grandpa because thats what I called my grandparents and the in-laws will be Nan/Grandad cos that’s what the Mrs called her Grandparents…

Don’t worry I would never rely on STW for ‘actual’ advice!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I became a Grandad just after xmas, I said I would be quite happy to be called Dave, who wants to be called Grandad (my kids all call me Dave anyway) 🙄

Bunnyhop

I personally can’t abide a grandmother being called ‘nanny’ – that’s a hired help!

Totally agree, infact I’d never heard of a grandparent being called nanny until a few years ago.

In our family all the male grandparents were grandpa, all the female, known as granny.

marcus7
    Free Member

Nana joan, grandad pete, nana spain & grandad spain, pretty straightforward although my mum (nana spain) refuses to be called grandma…no one really decided because after all is it worth that much thought…..

jota180
    Free Member

I suspect we had £10 Grandad and sweets Grandad

I did actually hear them calling him £10 Grandad once
    My bloody inheritance he was giving away there 🙂

IainAhh
    Free Member

Granny and Papa here

Granny Porridge & Papa Tractor

Papa Fiddle and just Granny on the other side

This was just what they called them with no prompting from us.

robbo
    Free Member

Mostly they just groan whenever we talk about them. They call them ‘miserable’ mostly…

zippykona

Make sure its grandma. So much easier when buying cards and presents.
    All the nanna cards we can find are real fuddy duddy.
    Thank you from the whole gift industry.

theotherjonv

My mum and dad are grandma and grandad (or more often GRANDAD!, becuase he’s always going to sleep in the chair and the girls love waking him up and making him jump)

Wife’s mother is Nanny Sparkles, named by my eldest because of her very sparkly necklaces.

Mike_D
    Free Member

We asked them what they’d prefer to be called and went with that.

garage-dweller

Ask the grandparents. My wife’s mum is much older than my folks and prefers Nanny. My folks are grandma and grandad and my grandma (his great grandmother) is gran gran.

We always refer to grandparents by reference to what he calls them if hhe is present.

I think it helps if all have different names too.

mefty
    Free Member

On the father’s side i.e. mine Grandad and Granny but both alas are dead, on the mother’s side, Grandpa and Grandma, as it was for me, and my father, and his forefather etc.

TiRed

Mine were Grandma and Granddad on one side and Nanny and Pop on the other. The latter were very young when I was born, hence who wants to be called Granddad at 42?

My friend’s daughter has Granny Rotherham and Granny Seaside… No contest there, is there?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘What do your kids call their grandparents?’ is closed to new replies.