Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What do you want from accommodation when on a cycling trip ?
  • Splash-man
    Free Member

Just mulling over the idea of buying a house in the Afan area and opening it up for bikers to use when I’m not using it.

What would you want ? Basic utilities or upmarket ?
    Bedrooms – basic bare bunks or feather filled duvets ?
    Safe storage area – a given !
    What else would be important to you ????

I know I’m one to settle for very basic living areas when out cycling but I’m sure some of you would prefer more luxury !

How much would you pay for a basic house per night sleeping say 4 – 6 people with the cycle tracks right on your doorstep ?

RealMan
    Free Member

A well lit place to work on and store bikes, that is secure.

Plenty of showers and a decent hot water system.

Good kitchen with reliable appliances.

Washing machine.

Nice comfy beds.

Hot tub (optional).

It doesn’t have to be luxury to be nice.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Have a word with the Dales Bike Centre. They’ve got it pretty much sussed I reckon! 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Cheapness

Secureness

Lots of hot water and lots of showers

Lots of food quickly

stumpy01

– Fairly basic
    – Simple sleeping – provide own sleeping bag/pillow but somewhere comfy to plonk down on (not a threadbare mattress)
    – safe bike storage a must
    – Somewhere to dry clothes would be a nice bonus
    – A lounge area to chill in with TV/DVD player for the evenings (& perhaps a local pub!), with a pile of magazines (that everyone leaves) to read
    – Simple kitchen facilities
    – warm. Nothing worse than turning up to accommodation in the winter & finding the heating’s not on
    EDIT – Plenty of hot water & a shower would be a must!

Would perhaps expect to pay a bit more than a hostel, so perhaps £25/night. Obviously depends on the availability of local alternatives and how much they are.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – Member
    Have a word with the Dales Bike Centre. They’ve got it pretty much sussed I reckon!

Nail. On. Head.

tron
    Free Member

Honestly, in a B&B or self catering accommodation, so many get the basics wrong.

Enough radiators to dry kit.
    Enough heat.
    A powerful shower.
    I’ve no interest in hoiking sleeping bags about or making up a bed.

Some kind of service whereby you could have the fridge stocked would be wicked. Some places do “gourmet” packages, but to be honest, I’m not that bothered about spending £50 on champers and fancy cheese. It would just be nice to be able to arrive somewhere and there be a few beers, a loaf of bread, bacon and eggs etc. Particularly if it’s the sort of place people will tour to.

Or at the very least, the numbers of all the local takeaways 😆

Splash-man
    Free Member

Already had thoughts on the heating and hot water. As much as I have hated combi boilers in the past they do have advantages.

The bedding is certainly an issue. Sleeping bags would make it easy but duvets etc so much nicer but would add to cleaning costs etc.

I totally agree with tron – a fridge of cold beer on arrival is a must !

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For me.

Ensuite bathrooms and no bunks!

Beer and food available in suitable quantities

Bike wash and secure storage

Splash-man
    Free Member

TJ – not sure the budget would stretch to ensuites but I would certainly have the bike wash and secure storage sorted out 🙂

jim
    Free Member

I have one word for you.

Cake.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

real fire + wood to feed it, drying room, decent showers, american fridge, ‘industrial’ cooking facilities & mid sized empty room for velodrome competition

MisterT

don’t bother with bedding imo – best to insist on bring your own to keep it simple and lower costs (I prefer to use my own anyway)

Defo bike wash and storage areas.

dedicated drying room… well ventilated and heated.

Most important bit that is often scrimped on imo is spcial space Space to hang out and chat/eat/fart together (often they only provide a cramped cooking space and sleeping space and thus social space is ignored) – somewhere with comfy seating (but not posh)and suitable lighting to sit and talk rubbish till the early hours.

Keep it simple

ahwiles
    Free Member

cheap*, warm, clean, dry and comfortable.

a workshop would be nice – with a telly and some comfy chairs.

(or just tolerate people using the living room as a place to fix bikes)

(*£25/night)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What do you want from accommodation when on a cycling trip ?’ is closed to new replies.