Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What do you use for pushing pistons back?
  • 40mpg

Following the Great Tools thread, what do people use for pushing pistons back in? I’ve generally used a large-ish flat screwdeiver put appreciate it is not that good, and always wary opf damaging pistons/seals.

Bigdummy posted a pic of a Superstar tool with a big flat blade. What i reckon would be ideal though is a 2-bladed thing which works like reverse pliers to push both pistons back together. Would this work? / Does it exist?

lunge

I tend to use a tyre lever though I do accept this may not be ideal either.

spawnofyorkshire

couple of big plastic tyre levers. Don’t press too hard and don’t overthink it

wwaswas

either a tyre lever or a ring spanner.

This is what Park think you need;

Klunk
    Free Member

two wedges work well if a little fiddly

mintimperial

Wheel out, leave the pads in, then with a flat head screwdriver push on the back of one of the pads, then on the back of the other. Easy. 🙂

oliverd1981
    Free Member

stick a couple of worn out pads in, insett a screwdriver between them and then twist.

br
    Free Member

Wheel out, leave the pads in, then with a flat head screwdriver push on the back of one of the pads, then on the back of the other. Easy.

+1

or when replacing pads:

stick a couple of worn out pads in, insett a screwdriver between them and then twist.

akira

The handle end of an old bb remover, perfect size and it’s got a rubbery coating on it.

fasthaggis

stick a couple of worn out pads in, insett a screwdriver between them and then twist

This^^

I have a couple of sets with all the brake material removed ,simples.

Klunk
    Free Member

maybe something like this would make wedges less fiddley

nedrapier

on a similar note – what do people use for lubing pistons with?

I reckon most of my brake rubbing is down to calipers that have been adjusted properly, but one of the pistons deciding it’s less keen on retracting than the other.

rocketman
    Free Member

Screwdriver’s OK for basic two piston brakes but for the elite who have 4 piston brakes a shelf bracket works great

fasthaggis

on a similar note – what do people use for lubing pistons with?

Read about this ages ago on a motor bike forum and have used it on all my brakes ,it has been excellent ( even on Avids).
    Put it on the side of the pistons when changing pads ( use a tiny paint brush).

Mister-P
    Free Member

I lube Shimano pistons with Shimano brake fluid. It’s quite slippery and you know it won’t damage the seals.

nickc

I’ve a particularly well shaped flat headed screwdriver that I use. Always have old pads to push against though

njee20
    Free Member

+another

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Old worn out brake pads and a massive screw driver. A friend has used the bleeding block that come with Shimano brakes. . A couple of minutes on a belt sander turned it into a useful wedge sha
    Pe

Tracey

I have one of these, works a treat

richmtb

plastic tyre lever works most of the time,

If not old pads method as above

sharkattack

These for me

scaredypants

2 old dinner knives pushed into the gaps and then rotate the wheel to push them in as wedges. Work brilliantly

JAG

Ideally you want a bike-version of this car oriented tool….

eshershore
    Free Member

if pad are in place then the Park piston press

if I am doing a proper brake service and pads are out, then its the ring end of a 10mm ring spanner

granny_ring

I’ve just switched over to Shimano brakes and use a pedros tyre lever to push the pistons back, I will also try the old set of pads trick when I’ve worn a set out!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘What do you use for pushing pistons back?’ is closed to new replies.