Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What do you think of these wheels? Superstar 30% off content
  • Northwind

Very close to pressing buy on a pair of:

Ryde Trace XC 29er rims on
    Superstar Switch-UltraLITE front and Switch-Ultra rear with
    Sapim Laser spokes and
    Brass nipples.

Manufacturer claimed weights put that at a little under 1500g… And £224 for the lot. Anyone think of anything obviously stupid in there?

It is, wait for it, for my Boardman hybrid 😆 Hence brass nips. It has a set of 2kg-ish wheels on it just now, which I got in a hurry but it’d be nice to upgrade as the wheels are the only heavy part left on it. Well, that and all my mudguards and lights.

In theory they might get pressed into occasional use for an XC 29er that I don’t own yet but might. I’m not crazy about such light weight rims for offroad use tbh but they ought to be up to the one kerb I ride up every day on the Boardman.

I was originally planning to put my Pacenti CL25s from the current wheels onto a set of DT240s I have but taking into account that means scrapping 2 sets of wheels, it’s pretty ropey economics and would end up heavier… Doesn’t cost me much today mind!

Any thoughts? it’s a flatbar disc hybrid but does the job most people would use a road bike for, I didn’t get on with drops… Nothing heavy on it, apart from these wheels, assorted crabonz and 1×9 gearing and that. They’re a bit posh for a commuter but I like nice bikes. I think in an ideal world I’d go with a lower spoke count tbh but other than that it feels good.

andyl
    Free Member

Did you go for them? Was eyeing up the Ryde trail rims myself. Like the asymmetric design and i think that is next step in carbon rims.

I opted for the heavier hubs. Those hubs look nice but I will wait to see how they fair and stick with the bigger bearing and chunkier disc tabs.

Northwind

Yeah, closed my eyes and pushed the button 😆 tbh I’ve been looking at used wheels that are overall just competitive. The front hub’s a bit of a flutter but it weighs nothing and it’ll not often if ever see mud so I’m hopeful.

andyl
    Free Member

Looks a perfect hub for commuters. Plenty of carbon rigid forks coming with 15mm now and 160mm discs are more then adequate.

I’ve been looking for 2nd hand wheels but by the time you get one and have to buy new end caps and have the risk of sorting out bearings and free hubs that were claimed to be fine and trued them and free’d off nipples etc etc…

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

29″ wheels, they will explode, it is inevitable. 😈

Northwind

They’re 29er now but when I put them in the bike they’ll become 700c, so it’s alright as long as they don’t explode in the mail.

Northwind

Hopelessly late follow up- they seem good. Slightly over the claimed weight but not by much at all. The anodising on the rims is really weak and easy to scratch but other than that it all feels good quality and this time round I got a good wheelbuild too- we’ll see how it holds up I guess. But pleased, anyway

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What do you think of these wheels? Superstar 30% off content’ is closed to new replies.