Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • what do you look for in an online bike shop?
  • Angry-pirate
    Free Member

hi guys,just wanting to ask a couple of questions for a project i doing,just wondered about what people look for most when theyre shopping for bits online, for example, would you wait a couple more days than say, chainreaction, to get your stuff and pay maybe 20 percent less or would you rather pay more and get your stuff next day?
    also, in ters of a website, would you rather see all the categories right in front of you straight away? or go through all the special offers on the way to the bits you want?
    another idea i have floating around is trad-ins, if you could trade in old parts for money of new ones even if the money off wasnt the same as you could fetch if you sold it elsewhere, would you?
    basicly i just want to know what people like in a bike shop, and what you would change on the ones you visit. thanks and any and all suggestions are welcome.

scaredypants

personally, low price and reliability – I don’t think next day delivery is necessary if you’re cheap, but within the stated period is ESSENTIAL.

I reckon parts trade-in would be a nightmare for a shop (how would you shift stuff on, and how would you value it ? If you sell it, will you warranty ?)

just categories – the big shops offer filtering by price or by discount size anyway, so a “sale” section is worthless IMO (super-cheap clearance stuff, maybe but the CRC sale section is way too big to read through). Note how many people moan about boasting big discounts on the index page, followed by only in XXXL or XXXS sizes getting the low price – these would fit well in a separate index like “clearance” IMO)

loddrik
    Free Member

CRC!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A physical address. A phone number. A kettle. Some good banter. Great stock. Coffee. Using their workshop or their great mechanics. Superb wheelbuilders. More banter. Convenient location. Etc.

Oh, no. Wait a minute! That’s what I look for in a REAL bike shop. Online bike shops? Nah.

grantway
    Free Member

Good price but a quality service and someone that answers the phone

Good sites other than CRC and Wiggle i use

descent-gear.com
    Tredz

Trade ins il stay away from, same views as above

Hope that helps

jfletch
    Free Member

Best price
    Free postage
    In stock of the things I want

Simple really.

goodgrief
    Free Member

visible, reliable stock info

Angry-pirate
    Free Member

these are great keep them coming, a couple of things, i dont think online shops are a replacement for your lbs, i have no problem buying things from shops who offer great service but for example, i served a guy who bought a set of hope hoops for 350 from a lbs, this is ridicoulous considering you can get them for 260 on crc. personally i see lbs as a place for maintainance.

i agree about trade-ins, that stuff can geet messy real quick.

in regards to postage, if your paying a flat rate of postage and the total price is still lower than other sites would you still see that as a problem?

kudos100
    Free Member

Decent customer service. I phoned up winstanleysbikes a few times and the customer service was appalling. Phoned up merlin and the guy I spoke to was really helpful.

This can make a big difference, although price and having the bits I want in stock are most important.

float
    Free Member

definitely free postage. it annoys me when i think somethings a good price, then they tack on another 5 quid for delivery.

epicyclo

All the odd little bits that aren’t worth the while of a real bike shop to stock.

Charlie the Bike Monger is a good example.

bol

Much cheaper than an LBS, free postage, lots of choice. If I want something really quickly or there’s not much in it on price I’ll go to a real shop. Merlin is the benchmark for me, but choice is a bit limited.

dyls

Good choice, accurate reflection of stock (ie doesn’t say in stock when it isn’t), competitive pricing, quick delivery (next day or the day after at the latest)and no hassle returns/customer service.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Online shop must have huge stock, good price and reliable delivery. Not bothered about anything else if I want customer service I go to LBS which actually being about 35 miles away is more like a NLBS. Spending between shop and online is probably about 50:50.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘what do you look for in an online bike shop?’ is closed to new replies.