Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • what do you listen to when out for a training run
  • leffeboy

I’ve no problem if I’m going out for a regular ride but if I’m going for a training ride of more than an hour i start to get very bored. What do folks here listen to for a distraction?

jonba
    Free Member

My heartbeat, and pick nice training rides. Off road I just ride the same stuff as training as social – difference is speed. On the road there opportunities in the NE are endless so I keep it varied and it is always interesting.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m training for a triathlon at the moment. I can’t listen to music during the event so figured I should get used to my own company during the training.

Mostly I just listen to my own thoughts and musings.

rene59
    Free Member

The sounds of nature.

Duffer
    Free Member

I used to listen to music whilst running, but now i can’t stand it.

Sometimes i’ll listen to some Radio 4 podcasts, but mostly i’ll have nothing.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Running, I listen to some seriously shit 180bpm music, as a pacing metronome (found it really helps to keep the cadence up). Cycling, nothing, though I suppose the same idea could work…

CraigW
    Free Member

The Podrunner mixes are nice if you want music at a steady/fast pace.
    I also quite like the Ministry of Sound ‘Running Trax’ albums.

leffeboy

I’ve tried listening to nothing but nature but after an hour my mind starts wandering to cups of coffee and comfy sofas. If I’m listening to something or have something to think about that doesn’t happen. Ill give the podcasts a shot and my daughter suggested an audio book with the deal being not to listen to it between runs so there is an incentive to go out

thanks all and any more suggestions always welcome

everyone
    Free Member

Heavy breathing, tyres and outside. Same as a normal ride but with less conversation and more heavy breathing!

leffeboy

I think that’s part of my problem. These are rides where I’m deliberately trying not to breathe hard. Full on rides are way more fun (and much shorter)

MoreCashThanDash

Approaching vehicles.

leffeboy

Approaching vehicles.

good point but there ain’t any where i ride

JCL
    Free Member

Nothing. But I’m not one of those face in phone, short attention span types.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing. Never listened to anything whilst outside, feels really wrong to shut off the outside world. Only exception was during a 24hr solo, when I listened to Radio 4 til it went off, then BBC World Service.. Then R4 came back on…!

Perhaps you are doing too many miles? Should only be doing one long ish ride a week IMO. For what are you training?

leffeboy

Not training for anything in particular. Just have a 90-120 min spot in the week where i drop one of the kids off and instead of doing the drive home and turning almost straight around again i prefer to do either a run or ride at a moderate but not burn out pace. If I’ve got something on my mind the time goes instantly but otherwise it can drag a bit as I’ve done that route a lot now. Maybe the solution is to change the route round then.

interesting that so few people listen to stuff while out riding though. I expected a few more

edit: used to always catch r4 starting up in the morning and the theme tune always felt like the day was starting

redthunder
    Free Member

The nature, the woods man 🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘what do you listen to when out for a training run’ is closed to new replies.