Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • What do you do with your phone when you're riding?
  • 40mpg

Just got myself a new phone and don’t really want to trash it when out riding. The old one had a fake leather flap case which was a bit crap – I don’t really want a case for the new phone as its big enough anyway. This generally went in a plastic sandwich bag and in my camelback.

Interested to hear others solutions to phone protection when riding – especially keeping water out!

njee20
    Free Member

Wrapped in sandwich bag/swimming hat/plastic carrier bag (whatever’s to hand) and shoved in back pocket. Never had a problem.

dunmail
    Free Member

In a dry bag in the camelback or leave at home/in the car.

Yak

Have an old payg non-smart phone for riding and put it in a freebee plastic wallet. Has the advantage that no-one rings it either.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I have an aquapac phone thing which serves as a completely waterproof phone case and wallet and it goes in my jersey pocket.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Buy a £15 phone on pay as you go and take that instead. Only give your family the number of the new phone and you’ll also minimise mid-ride interruptions.

EDIT: Beaten by YAK

lunge

In a clear plastic pencil case in my back pocket if I’m on the road or doing an XC ride, if I have my backpack it goes in a little dry bag.

MoreCashThanDash

The actual answer to the question is “ignore it”. Those who need me know to ring me, so I can ignore texts and emails as they ping in.

Mine lives in a neoprene case to protect it from bumps, inside a plastic bag to keep it dry.

pipiom
    Free Member
    brakes
    Free Member

I have something like this – designed for diving
    bit bulkier than I wanted but plastic bags weren’t working very well in a deluge

scotroutes

I just chuck mine in whatever bag I have. It’s a Sony Z1 Compact so it’s waterproof enough already and a cheap screen protector ensures the screen doesn’t get scratched.

dknwhy

Aquapac in the back pocket for me…….

jam-bo

Lifeproof case on my old phone, waiting for them to bring out a case for my new phone.

Duane…
    Free Member

In my pocket.

trail_rat
    Free Member

pocket – on silent. its in a griffin survivor case though.

Trimix
    Free Member

Stays at home.

matt_outandabout

Turn it off?
    (Old Nokia, shoved in drybag at bottom of bag usually)

weeksy

pocket… it’s only a phone… as it’s a Z1 it’s also fully waterproof.

NZCol

Double bag it and bury it so even if it does ring i dont answer it.

ska-49
    Free Member

Either leave it at home or put it in a ziploc freezer bag.
    I bought an old Samsung S3 mini with payg sim and loaded some maps onto it in case I ever get hideously lost.

mcnultycop

In a Caddy Sack (that I just put straight in my back pocket on a road ride) then in the middle of my rucksack.

When I fell off two weekends ago and broke my elbow, as I lay on the slab of Saddleworth Stone, it was quite reassuring to hear my phone in my rucksack as someone texted me asking for sponsorship money.

binners

1. Put phone on silent
    2. Place phone in camelback
    3. Ignore*

* discounting occasional ‘Can you come and pick me up please? I think I’ve broke my wrist. Where am I? I’m at the bottom of a ditch near Rivington’ type calls 😳

benji
    Free Member

At home in the cupboard, warm and dry there.

AlexSimon

In pocket as is.
    It’s got properly soggy with no problems so far. (iPhone 4).

And because it’s not an iPhone 6, it’s strong 🙂

Nobody has my number except people I’d want to take a call from anyway.

hooli

Ziplock bag and in the pack or pocket for me, if you are worried about waterproofing then 2 ziplock bags

gonzy
    Free Member

i got a free waterproof phone wallet type thing when i ordered a case for the wifes phone…it was ok to start with but the the zip lock broke but its still big enough for the top to fold down and keep things relatively watertight…but its starting to crak and split in places so i want to replace it with either something like what Brakes has or one of those Griffin survival cases

kayla1
    Free Member

£10 Asda PAYG, in my backpack just in case. It only cost a tenner and the battery lasts ages. I can’t record my awesome Strava times with it though so I have to bungee the laptop and a GPS thinger to the bars when I go out shredding.

Gary_M
    Free Member

When I’m commuting I need to take my iPhone, it goes in a sandwich bag and in either the rear pocket of my shorts or chest pocket of my winter jacket. I’ve been doing this for years and never had any issues with the phone.

On non commuting rides I have a £10 PAYG nokia that very small and very light and goes in a jersey pocket in a plastic bag.

bumper
    Free Member

Keep it on divert to the landline/voicemail

Keep it in a ballistic waterproof case

Keep it in a Topeak top tube bag

Take it out to take photos

molgrips
    Free Member

My two most recent camelbaks have a waterproof soft lined pocket at the top, for phones. However the smaller one is now too small for a modern smartphone 🙂

freeagent
    Free Member

on the road bike it either goes in a top tube bag (Tri-bag) or in the central back pocket in my jersey.

On the MTB it either goes in the same pocket, or in my Camelbak.

NormalMan

Yak – Member
    Have an old payg non-smart phone for riding

^ this. Plus limit those having the number to immediate family for emergency only!

househusband

Lezyne Caddy Sack with blood sugar level meter, insulin and all the other diabetic crap I need to carry with me…

molgrips
    Free Member

Have an old payg non-smart phone for riding

I like to take photos and share them whilst I am out riding, because it’s stunningly beautiful where I live, in places, and certain of my family members who aren’t so fortunate really appreciate it. So it’s not just solipsism 🙂

Northwind

My camelbak has a nice lined pocket in the top for electrical stuff. Always a wee bit concerned about rain but it’s been fine.

Dickyboy

waterproof phone pocket in jacket, until one day water got in but not out, turned into a wee phone swimming pool sloshing around on my arm, now used as spare phone as only 75% of buttons work which makes texts somewhat entertaining 😆

thehustler
    Free Member

chum3
    Free Member

My Z1 Compact is waterproof. Got a handlebar mount, and it goes there, as I use it as my cycle computer / nav / HRM etc. Also have top tube tri bag which has a phone pocket with window on the top which I’ve used lots as well on xc epics. A battery booster lives in there too… This is on my hardtail and road bike. When I’m riding ‘bigger’ stuff, it lives in my Camelback.

hammyuk
    Free Member
    kraftyslices

Lives in the top pocket of my Deuter rucksack. Love Deuter.

How do you record your Strava orzmness without a smartphone..?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘What do you do with your phone when you're riding?’ is closed to new replies.