Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What do you do?
  • JAG

I’ve been cycling for over 10 years now and while I always try and get the maximum mileage out of stuff I’ve still got things that are not knackered but are worn and also not worth much money.

Example: Shimano Deore front mech’

It’s done about 3000 miles on my mountain bike but got replaced when I upgraded the drivetrain to SLX. However there’s very little wrong with it and I guess it would last another 3000 miles but it’s not worth much.

So what should I do with it??

mboy
    Free Member

It’s worth at least a pint of beer or two, so sell it!

Or if you’re feeling really generous, donate it to someone less fortunate (not me BTW)…

Deveron53
    Free Member

Stick it on retrobike or ebay. Someone is always frame swapping and finds themselves with wrong diameter/type of front mech (top pull, bottom pull, conventional swing, etc, etc). I have done it several times and pay about a fiver inc post for a used but decent front mech.

seosamh77
    Free Member

donate it to your local bike shed type place?

http://www.glasgowbikeshed.org/

Rosss
    Free Member

If it seems too much effort to list them all individually i’m sure if you listed all the parts someone would want them all to top up their spares box?

float
    Free Member

if youve got a worn 7 speed chain you were thinking of binning ill have it off you.

robdeanhove
    Free Member

If you’re never going to use it again, eBay is the answer. I store up a few parts and sell them off once every year or two to save time.

I’d keep it as a “just in case” spare, I have a whole box of this kind of stuff, really useful for keeping my bike, or those of friends, going.

Olly
    Free Member

give it away.

ive got an entire bikes worth of spares i am realistically never going to use. I could build a bike, but it would be a bit scruffy.
    going to donate them all to the local bike recycling place.

Like seosamh77 says, give it away.
    We’ve got a charity bike recyclers near here, is there anything similar near you ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What do you do?’ is closed to new replies.