Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What do you call this type.of handlebar?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

As above

Cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

On one savile.

simondbarnes

Bullhorn

JackHammer

Pretentious

chilled76
    Free Member

Bull horns cheers…

Why pretentious?

unovolo
    Free Member

Bullhorns with brifters! Its like socks and sandals ie.should never be seen together.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Why pretentious?

I’m guessing because they’ve been spotted on fixed-gear bikes? And as everyone knows, fixed gear bikes are now reserved only for the ‘pretentious’ rider. So therefore, bullhorn bars themselves are also ‘pretentious’.

Maybe. I’m partly guessing, but the internet-hive seems to spawn and perpetuate stereotypes/prejudice like it’s going out of fashion, and my radar was blipped to this when looking at youtube docu of cycle-couriers.

colournoise

unovolo – Member
    Bullhorns with brifters! Its like socks and sandals ie.should never be seen together.

Is that in The Rules?

It’s my plan for the road bike I might finally build next week, but then it will have big flat platform pedals too so all kinds of wrong anyway.

shermer75
    Free Member

Getting on those hoods is gonna be a little tricky 😉

njee20
    Free Member

That combo is almost as bad as the word “brifter”.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i christen theeee “the bloody awful” bar

trail_rat
    Free Member

has that bike really got a negative sloped top tube or is it perspective playing tricks …. thats so 1980’s 😀 Lemond would be proud !

shermer75
    Free Member

I suspect it’s the photo but negative slopes do seem to be making a comeback! 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

Also can be called a base bar.

shermer75
    Free Member

That combo is almost as bad as the word “brifter”.

What’s the alternative?

trail_rat
    Free Member

well since its given name is an STI unit ……;)

legend
    Free Member

but STI is a Shimano TLA whereas Brifter can be universally applied……

trail_rat
    Free Member

ah sorry my mistake. I didnt realise they were campags in the picture. As you were. 😉

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I didnt realise they were campags in the picture.

They aren’t, they’re old Shimano.

thomthumb
    Free Member

whats the point? you get the hoods position but not the drops. why remove a hand position?

Retrodirect
    Free Member

You lose a handposition to make the other handpositions better.

Because you get access to the brakes from the full length of the horn. Unlike on the equivalent positions on drops where you can only brake from the hoods.

njee20
    Free Member

As TR said, They’re STIs (which can double as a universal term), Ergopowers or Double Taps. The word brifter makes me want to get stabby.

simondbarnes
    slowoldman

Urban Sports eh?

trail_rat
    Free Member

They aren’t, they’re old Shimano.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’m in agreement that the term ‘brifter’ is horrid.

Apart from just looking terrible on the page, it should speak volumes that no manufacturer describes their products thus no matter how many people use it on forums.

cookeaa

trail_rat – Member
    has that bike really got a negative sloped top tube or is it perspective playing tricks …. thats so 1980’s Lemond would be proud !

I did find myself puzzled by that bike too, the Top tube, the stumpy head tube, the apparent geometry makes me think Time trailer? and then there’s the choice of bars, which might make some sense for thing if coupled with some aero clip-ons maybe…

But with a bunch of spacers and the up-angled stem, the canti brakes it might start to seem like a CX race bike frame/fork.

It’s also got a triple chainset so might be good for some touring or longer, hillier ride maybe?…

Basically it’s a bike suffering from an identity crisis, perhaps it does everything awesomely and we’re missing a trick…

shermer75
    Free Member

Shimano make special brifters for bars like those

That’s a whole groupset that I was comoletely unaware of! Been around since 2014 apparently. I wonder how well it is selling?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What do you call this type.of handlebar?’ is closed to new replies.