Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • What do the taller people ride? (warning possible heightist material)
  • ctznsmith
    Free Member

So the solution for tall people is a 36er recumbent?! 🙂

Anyhow
    6"4
    XL Swift (which I'm yet to build/ride…will have all the parts one day! :roll:)
    58cm Tricross

MrTall
    Free Member

If somebody could make me a big framed 36" wheeled bike (rigid of course at that size) for less than £1000 i'd buy it in a heartbeat just for a giggle. Can't see them being much cop offroad but i'd love to have one to play around on.

All the ones i've seen online have been prohibitively expensive (custom steel, Ti etc) and have all seemed to have been based around 18" or so frames.

Coker bikes in the US have a 36" wheeled town bike which is pretty cheap but has horrible 'Apolloesque' brakes on it and no way to run discs. I'm sure one will pop up one day in the not too distant future. 🙂

Shandy
    Free Member

On a 36er recumbent you can't make any real weight adjustment because it is all acting through your arse and not through the pedals/BB. It does stand to reason that wheel size could be optimised like any other measurement on the bike.

clubber
    Free Member

The bigger wheels on a 29er roll better and "catch" less on imperfections on the trail. I suppose I am thinking of the force required through the pedals to push the bike over/through an obstacle. It will require a lot less force if the BB is lower in comparison to the axles.

eh? I don't think that makes any sense I'm afraid. You're right about the 29er wheels inherently rolling better but the 'lot less force bit' is completely wrong – the BB height in relation to the axles makes no difference at all to the power/force required as it's simply transferred through the chain and it doesn't matter what angle that's at in relation to the rear axle.

clubber
    Free Member

Oh and along with MrTall, I'd love to try a 36er though I do suspect it'd be a pretty sluggish affair offroad on anything twisty.

Shandy
    Free Member

Clubber, if the height of the BB relative to the axles is irrelevant why is there so much fixation with BB heights in general?

clubber
    Free Member

That's about bb height in relation to the ground, not axles!

TooTall
    Free Member

clubber doesn't want to believe that, for some people (and a few of them are tall), 29ers feel better.

On the subject of BB & axles – the drop to BB from 29er axles is greater. What does that do then? It puts my weight further below the centre of rotation for the wheels and I know it feels more stable, but you seem to have the edge on engineering reasoning as to why things work or not.

clubber
    Free Member

You've really got me wrong there TooTall. I actually WANT to find a 29er I like riding since I think that they are great for covering ground fast and these days I need all the help I can get… As I've said many times, I just don't want to compromise on enjoying the riding as a consequence but since I'm constantly being told that the latest 29ers are so much better than the older ones, I'll keep hoping that there is one out there that I like. I'll be riding one again in a couple of weeks to try yet again.

What I don't like is typical bike industry myths that become facts because it's endlessly repeated. I've only challenged the idea that 29ers are inherently a good choice for tall riders and I've yet to hear a convincing reason for it though I'll openly admit to wondering if there's some factor of the equation that I've missed since so many tall people seem to think they're a revelation though in the same breath I can't help but suspect that it's just because they look more in proportion.

The stability thing however sounds perfectly legit though I'd suggest it's because of the bigger wheels acting as a bigger gyroscope – the same as jumping with heavier wheels adds stability in the air – rather than because of the larger axle->bb measurement. I'm not certain that feeling more stable is inherently a good thing or not though.

TooTall
    Free Member

You know there is a Sultan you can try as well. Going to the Bike Jumble next weekend?

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, doing better than that – off to Afan and will be trying at least one 29er… 🙂

Beside, I reckon your Sultan would be too big for me (not to mention that there's no way I'd be spending that kind of money on a frame!) but I do appreciate the offer.

rootes1

Convincing reason for 29er and tall people – big framed bikes look better in proportion with bigger wheels. That part of the reason I got a 29er as the proportions are sort of the same as an 18" 26er. Having said that at 6' 6" my daily Brompton and I looks way out of proportion!

Metasequoia

6"4.

XL Niner MCR
    XL Niner Jet (waiting for replacement frame)

Obviously proper wheels

Seven Axiom Road bike sloping top tube 58cm C to C, seat tube 60.9cm top tube.

rootes1

I also have a 62cm pearson touche road bike good size and proper size wheels

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Nobody mentioned looking at Giant's range of bikes yet? 😀

I'm only 6ft 1" but on a 20" 456 and a 61cm hybrid for commuting.

My mate who is a good 4" taller can't ride my bike as he can't reach the pedals. Either I have very long legs (34" kecks) and a short body or he has very short legs and a long body, so its not all just about actual height chaps.

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘What do the taller people ride? (warning possible heightist material)’ is closed to new replies.