Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • What do the taller people ride? (warning possible heightist material)
  • Marmoset
    Free Member

6'3" and on a 19.5" Cannondale Jekyll, a 20.5" Rocky Mountain Vertex RSL and a 21" Rocky Mountain Hammer. Much prefer the fit of the RM's but have recently put a new fork with longer steerer on the 'dale to give the same bar height.

Edric64
    Free Member

Sanderson Life looks good and is well finished .The Genesis has rack mounts both are long in the top tube .The p7 is a bit heavy .My choice would be the Genesis .Although at 6ft 4 of leg I find 20inch frames barely big enough even with a 400mm seatpost

gamo
    Free Member

6'3"
    19.5" Hustler
    20" ti456
    20" Inbred

MrTall
    Free Member

I'm amazed at how many tall chaps are on here, particularly in the 6'5"+ category.

I'd ride a smaller frame if possible because they are far more chuckable but with a 39/40" inside leg and nigh on 7' arm span i just get the biggest possible. They may all ride like gates but then that's all i've ever known so i wouldn't know any better. I tend to keep up with most of the people i ride with so they can't be that bad.

We should all have a big lads ride out one day, it'd scare the sh1t out of people to see a hoard of giants pedalling towards them!!

ctznsmith
    Free Member

@MrTall I reckon you could just have a 'big lads' ride with the Singletrack world members from Worcestershire!

(wait for me to get/finish my bike though) 😉

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

MrTall – Member

We should all have a big lads ride out one day, it'd scare the sh1t out of people to see a hoard of giants pedalling towards them!!

I'd be up for that!

Remember we're not tall, they're all short 😉

6'6
    22in Kona Kula
    21in Spesh Stumpy
    21in Trek Fuel

Have ridden 29ers (Kona's mostly) but not yet convinced about mud clearance / having to run another set of wheels.

60cm Ribble Winter
    62cm Giant Crosser
    25in Condor Fixie
    63cm Colnago

I guess as this thread shows we're 'lucky' that at the top end we are increasing being accomodated for. 36in leg jeans, 38 in sleeve shirts, size 15/50 shoes, I find I can get stuff locally now that I'd have to spend ages searching for 10 years ago.

genesis
    Free Member

6'4 and ride a Large Cannondale Jekyll and custom sized Roberts and large Giant Defy Advanced.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

6'5"
    on XL Nicolai Helius CC/Helius AC/Argon FR.

Remember we can do full custom on any of our frames – we've done full sus bikes to properly fit people up to 6'9".

genesis
    Free Member

The problem with a lot of mass market full suss frames is that the platform is usually designed around a 18inch size so for us tall people they always feel odd when they size up.

teadrinker
    Free Member

I'm amazed at the response here, really didn't realise they're are so many of us! Lots for me to think about here, thanks

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

1.97m / 6'5 1/2"

Present rides:

Giant Trance XL 2008 (says 22" on the box, but I've measured it as being 20.5")
    Giant Defy 2.5 XL

Halfway through building a 20" slot inbred (with 420mm seatpost)
    Intending on buying a cross bike this year – probably 62cm Jake the Snake

I really like the idea of a 29er. Not so much because I'm tall, but more because they seem like they'd suit our Westcountry xc trails. Kona King Kahuna is high on my list (bit pricey though).

benjag
    Free Member

6'3" just got an 18" alpine 160 for DH thrashing!

tall_martin

I'm 6"4 with a 36 inside leg

I ride a 21" cove Stiffee
    an xl giant reign
    and a 64cm dawes racer (the biggest entry level road bike i could find)]

Martin

KT1973
    Free Member

Goddamn that's some big ass cyclists

TooTall
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    6'5"

And I still don't understand why (other than for purely cosmetic proportional reasons) people think that a 29er wheel is any better for a tall rider. …….. so if a 29er is supposedly superior for tall riders, why aren't you queing up for 32ers and even 36ers?

We know you don't get it (but you've not really tried to get it). Many tall people 'get' it on 29ers and some people like riding a bike that feels like a bmx under them. You tend not to 'get' it as soon as you throw your leg over it – it takes a few rides. Both the 6"4'+ other blokes who have ridden both my 29ers could tell the difference between them – and both found the Sultan to 'feel just like a 26" bike that fitted' rather than the slightly slower feel of the Scandal.
    We're not queuing up for 32ers and 36ers because that is too big and beyond reason – I'd love one tho, but not for everyday riding.

rockitman

6ft 6" here and I ride:

XL Yeti 575 – Highly recommended as a do anything bike – it's huge!
    XL Commencal Meta 6 – Smaller than the Yeti, set up more for DH etc
    21" On One Scandal 29er – Not ridden it yet, will finish it this weekend!

29erKeith
    Free Member

Only 6'2" and a bit 😉

I feel small round these parts now

can't believe how many really!! tall guys there are in here

love my 29ers, I just felt a bit perched on my old 20inch Giant XTC after going 29

acorlett

6'4" here, with a custom spec 21.5" Gary Fisher Bitter. Lovely long GF top tubes are the best fit I've found for my frame, but wish I had the dough for a Turner Sultan – beautiful. Do like the BMX-feel of a 26er with a dropped seatpost on the technical stuff, though…

jalopy
    Free Member

6'5"
    XL Singular Gryphon
    XL Astrix Monk
    21" IF Steel Deluxe 29er
    XL Big Dummy
    61cm Crosscheck
    61cm 70's Olmo Competition

slowjo
    Free Member

ooh… I feel small here… a piddling (nearly) 6ft 4ins.

ATM I ride an:

XL Swift
    XL Superlight (26 inch wheels)
    XL Giany Bowery
    XL Boardman Team Carbon

clubber
    Free Member

We're not queuing up for 32ers and 36ers because that is too big and beyond reason

Couldn't anyone make exactly the same argument for 29ers though?

If people of 5'10" (and less) can ride 29ers then surely us proper sized people should be scaling up in proportion if bigger wheels inherently fitted us better, no?

I'll stop now, we won't agree, I just don't think that the '29ers fit tall people better' is in danger of becoming accepted wisdom despite there being no real logic to it other than it looks right.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Clubber I guess it could also be a 'self-fulfilling' prophecy as the more that 'theory' gets banded about the more 29ers get made in 'large' sizes to meet demand whilst companies don't make XL+ size 26" wheeled bikes?

clubber
    Free Member

Exactly. Not something I want.

jumping_flea
    Free Member

Hi – 6ft 4ins

Currently riding –

XL (21.5") Trek Remedy 8
    20.5" Genesis Altitude 10

Both bikes look big to the small people, but feel just right when I'm riding them!
    PS – both have proper wheels 😉

bol

A mere 6'4" here. Currently riding:

Custom 21.5" Lightspeed Ocoee (which would look much nicer with 29" wheels, but rides great)
    Large Specialized Pitch (a bit snug, but very chuckable)
    60cm Kinesis Crosslight

I'd like to add a 29er to the mix, but wouldn't want to part with one of these, so would have to get divorced, which would be bad.

Teadrinker – I had a 20" Sanderson Life which fitted great and I'd still have now if it hadn't been nicked. I've got quite a long torso (34" inside leg), so might not be so great for the longer limbed.

soulwood
    Free Member

6'3" here, riding a 19" soul, and just built up a 29er using parts from my old roadrat on an On-one frame to try it out (fully rigid). I really like the ride of the 29er, will be upgrading the frame to a Niner MCR, bought secondhand off here for £500, probably the first time I've seen a frame I want in my size!. I would say that a 29er is just like a road bike on steroids, the advantages of rolling speed etc translated into a bike capable of going off road. My 26er soul is still the bike of choice for peak district rides though so its definitely not the end of 26ers as we know it, just a road bike for mountain bikers …

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Kona King Kahuna is high on my list (bit pricey though).

I liked the look of those bikes, but after contacting Kona UK about availability, they said they wont be importing any despite their website showing them as a 2010 model. Poor show IMO.

sherry
    Free Member

@ 6'5" I thought I was one of only a few people on here with similar heights, as said before I'm very impressed that I'm not! My rides are:

21" Cove HJ
    XL 20.5" Meta 6, smaller top tube than the Cove but that's what you want on that type of bike.
    22.5" Trek 7.3 FX commuter (700cc wheels)

All the bikes fit well but I would have liked a longer head tube on the Meta more like the the Cove with a 6" head tube. I need to run 40mm in spacers on the Meta unlike the 22.5mm on the HJ. The idea of a tall dudes ride would be interesting & good, Would be great to see other peoples bikes and even a chance to try before buying. As most will know getting a test bike in larger sizes is a complete pain to say the least.

andytherocketeer

Blimey! It's just wrong when at 6ft3 I have to look up to people, and get a crick in my neck.

Anyway, mine's:
    Large, black Cotic Soul (19inch I think?)

Olly
    Free Member

6'4.5"

XL giant trance (21") w 100mm stem and inline seatpost
    XL XtC (21.5") w 100mm stem and inline seatpost
    18" 456SS w 50mm stem and slightly laid back seatpost (looks small on me but is chucky)
    11" Jump bike 😀

TooTall
    Free Member

ctznsmith – Member
    Clubber I guess it could also be a 'self-fulfilling' prophecy as the more that 'theory' gets banded about the more 29ers get made in 'large' sizes to meet demand whilst companies don't make XL+ size 26" wheeled bikes?

Disagree. I had a 24" Gary Fisher Marlin. I had a 21" Scott rc20. Neither felt anything as good or in proportion as either of my 29ers, despite my belief that they were the most comfortable and capable bikes I'd ever ridden (before 29er). I have ridden, for many years, huge 26" wheeled bikes and, despite 'fitting', felt awful after a month on a 29er.

Lucas
    Free Member

6ft 3 here, short body and longs legs (36inch inseam).
    XL 5 spot (HL)
    XL chameleon (old 2000 one though)
    58cm Jake the snake
    58cm Spesh road bike

Tried a L chameleon – way too small to be able to pedal, had a L 5 spot which was fine but seat post at limit and the XL is a much netter fit. I find larger road bikes are too long for my body though.

yetidave
    Free Member

Had a go on a 21" hei hei 29er up in Lagan last year, much fun and still makes me want a big wheeled bike. "Normal" XL Orange 5 as well, both fitted very well.

thomthumb
    Free Member

yetidave
    Free Member

my 23" rockhopper is bigger than that!

MrTall
    Free Member

That gate only looks like an XL – do they come in XXL…..?

ps Is it steel or Aluminium…..? Do you have a buy it now price?

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Is that gate a single pivot design?

Shandy
    Free Member

6'3" here, short back and very long limbs.

"29ers fit tall people better" – I think in certain circumstances it makes sense. Taller riders have a higher centre of gravity, especially with the seatpost up. On a 29er the larger wheel raises the axles to compensate for the heightened COG. COG vs axle height is proportionate with a smaller rider on a 26er.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes indeed, the axles are higher but how does that make it better? Raising CoG is never put forward as a good thing at least not in any way that I can make sense of. I don't really see any 'compensation' – you seem to be suggesting that because tall riders have a worst (higher) CoG than shorter riders that you compensate for it by making it worse still?

In theory, if the wheel was solid and not rotating but had tiny rollers at the bottom (eg in contact with the ground), that would be the same dynamically (ignoring gyroscopic effects and the effects of tiny wheels rolling on anything other than a smooth surface).

The point that you actually pivot on is the tyre contact patch, not the axles… I can't think of a reason why the axle height is important.

Shandy
    Free Member

I am saying that a high COG makes things difficult. If you have long legs and a saddle set for pedalling efficiency you are stuck with a high COG.

The bigger wheels on a 29er roll better and "catch" less on imperfections on the trail. I suppose I am thinking of the force required through the pedals to push the bike over/through an obstacle. It will require a lot less force if the BB is lower in comparison to the axles.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘What do the taller people ride? (warning possible heightist material)’ is closed to new replies.