Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • What do people think of the Orange 222's?
  • flowerman
    Free Member

Hey

I am thinking about getting a used Orange 222 frame for a downhill build. Has anyone else got one? (baring in mind the forum Im posting in 😉 ) What do people think about using them for a build, I have heard that they crack and chip quite easily and that they are quite old.

Many Thanks

legend
    Free Member

How much are you paying? If it’s cheap then just abuse and enjoy it, if not I’d highly recommend something a little more modern like a Giant Glory – they can generally be picked up for £800-900 fully built.

If it’s made it through the last 10 years without cracking, you should be alright

zerocool

They’re good bikes

xiphon
    Free Member

Love mine! Matched with 2004 RS Boxxers (7″ travel) up front.

Solid as a rock – survived the Fort Bill DH Endurance ’12 (already signed up for the 2013 race…)

Gets ridden weekly..

Most recent pic..

Slightly older..

Northwind

They’re still good… Big high, forward pivot feels a bit odd these days and the geometry reads more like a trailbike than a dh bike. I think a lot of The Kids don’t like them for being, well, old but that doesn’t make them bad.

Like every orange dh bike, they’re a bit cracky… But don’t let that put you off, they’re very fixable frames- we had a laugh counting repairs on orange frames at a race last year but at the same time, that partly means you can fix them when other frames might have gone in the bin. (I wouldn’t even neccesarily be put off by a repaired one)

IIRC Orange only recommended a 180mm fork? But then old dualcrowns were sometimes very long.

If the price is right, no reason not to. Don’t pay too much.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘What do people think of the Orange 222's?’ is closed to new replies.