Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What do-it-all steel frame?
  • TomZesty
    Free Member

Hi,

I know there is truly no such thing as a ‘do-it-all’ frame, but I want something that covers several bases as well as possible. I would like an 26″ xc steel hardtail with pannier mounts plus tonnes of clearance at the back so I can run 700c touring wheels as well (I’ve done this before on an old alu frame, and it worked for me). In addition I’d like to have some of the comfort afforded by a decent steel frame. I would need at least a 20″ frame, preferably a 21″. So far I’ve thought of the Ragley Piglet (no pannier mounts?), the Cotic Bfe (too small and not xc enough?) and the Rock Lobster Tig Team. Any other suggestions? Are On-One Inbred’s really stiff and uncomfortable?

Thanks, Tom

titusrider
    Free Member

Thorn will make something to suit im sure, give them a buzz and ask
    http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/models.html

chiefgrooveguru

Singular?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Have one made-to-measure by someone like Roberts?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I just got a BFe as i wanted a fun chuckable bike but one I could ride on big XC days. I was a little apprehensive due to posts about it being a harsh ride (I am coming from an armchair FS) and “too much”.

I am delighted with it, done a 50k day out (a record for me) inc XC, technical climbs and steepish DH and 3 days in the Peaks. In my view it’s a very nice ride, not at all harsh. Recently discounted to £300 (a Soul is £480). I did start looking at Pig/Piglet but really liked the Cotic’s. I would also suggest you look at a Dialed Prince Albert, I did so and pre-ordered one of their “Classics” in case the BFe didn’t turn out to be what I was looking for, now I have a dilemma as there is no way I will stop riding the BFe so It looks I’ll have two HT’s !

TomZesty
    Free Member

Thanks for the input so far. I don’t think I could afford a made-to-measure frame, should have said before my budget is £300. I like the Prince Albert, but it only goes up to a 19″ frame, and has no rack mounts (neither does a Bfe). Does anyone ride a Tig Team? Although the shape of the seat-stays suggests there might not be enough clearance to get the 700c wheels in.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Genesis?

speaker2animals

Surely you want a 29er? Singular Swift/Cotic Solaris. If you need a 20/21″ frame and want to run 700c wheels for road touring I really don’t think a 26er is where you should be looking.

On-0ne Inbred 29er for price?

andyha
    Free Member

+1 genesis

Rik
    Free Member

I’m email Sam at Singular and see if you can fit a 700c wheel into a hummingbird frame.

Racks are easy to fit with no mounts I use a Topeak rack that fits via the QR £30 for everything

relliott6879
    Free Member

speaker2animalsMember

Surely you want a 29er? Singular Swift/Cotic Solaris. If you need a 20/21″ frame and want to run 700c wheels for road touring I really don’t think a 26er is where you should be looking.

??? 700c wheels and slicks fit fine in pretty much any 26″ fork or frame and with clearance to spare, the outside diameter being a knat’s lunchbox away from a 26″ wheel and MTB tyre. I run a set with 23c tyres in my 20″ Kona with no problem whatsoever, they also fitted equally well in the 18″ Kona I had before. A colleague does the same (with 25c tyres) on a 17″ S-Works hardtail.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

What about an Orange P7? I have a 2007 and it has pannier mounts, I’m running a 2.5″ high roller at the back. They do a 21″. Sliding drop outs too.

bonchance
    Free Member

Hmm steel you say..

Genesis latitude 20“ in ti on ebay for 650 or offers.. looks kosher!

Mackem

P7.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My money would be on a 26″ inbred, because it has rack mounts and it’s cheep.

TBH steel frames aren’t that much more comfortable, they do flex more though (most noticeably to me in the BB deflecting sideways while cornering and the headtube twists*). I’ve given up on the idea of any real comfort coming from them, they feel different, but I’d not interpret it as comfort, just different. They do look much nicer though!

*the same effect, either the headtube has stayed still and the BB’s deflected, or the BB’s still and th headtubes twisted.

composite
    Free Member

P7

IHN

Are On-One Inbred’s really stiff and uncomfortable?

Nope. I’ll have a 20″ 456 frame up for sale soon if you’re interested

relliott6879
    Free Member

relliott6879Member

… the outside diameter being a knat’s lunchbox away from a 26″ wheel and MTB tyre.

gnat’s, even!

TomZesty
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice guys. Not interested in 29er (because of price of buying forks, wheels and new cables etc, plus not sure I even like them). How different is the new 456 geometry compared to the old one? Has anyone run bigger wheels in it?

binners

Got to be a P7. They tick all the boxes. Plus they’re just ace!

IHN

The newer 456 is slacker than the old one. Mine’s an older one.

Not tried 700c wheels in it but I’d be amazed if they didn’t fit, there’s acres of clearance around the tyre.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

P7.

binners

alexpalacefan

Gotta be a 20″ standard Inbred, surely. It’s a great bike, ticks all you boxes and only £140.

Looks like a no-brainer to me, think of what you could spend all the money on that you’d save over buying all the posh frames mentioned above for twice the money.

APF

Dickyboy

As others have said – Genesis – some of the Altitude Reynolds 853 frames have got rack mounts, dunno about clearance & 700c wheels myself though.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Have a look at Surly Karate Monkey.

Triton Cycles are doing them for £640 delivered, full bike, single speed 29er.

Loving mine, it arrived last week..

Frame can take gears, an Alfine, all sorts of things for racks etc.

Rides really nice.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What do-it-all steel frame?’ is closed to new replies.