• This topic has 40 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mmb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What do I do about stuff not turning up?
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

Classifieds on here, Seatpost £30 PPal Gift. Paid well over two weeks ago. Nothing in the post I can sort of understand the delays, but have had no communication at all despite a number of please let me know emails to the seller. Where do I stand?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member
    Jamie
    Free Member

I would say your boned if the seller decides to drop off the radar.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Crikey Cheesyfeet, thats a thread and a half!! Whist given the same result, buyer out of pocket and no item, I feel I'm off worst as I havent even any comms from the guy. Have just checked his threads and it seems theres quite a bit of history with items not turning up. God it makes me so angry, puts you right off using the classifieds which is a shame as there are so many genuine people out there. Any ideas?

0091paddy
    Free Member

Name and shame, hopefully the mods will then block his IP address preventing them from scaming anyone else.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Very tempting to Name and Shame, but feel there may be a genuine reason as per his last threads with him losing his job etc etc. Still, doesnt stop him emailing me and taking my flippin money!

Can the MODS get involved? Never been in this situation before?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yup, name and shame IMO. 2 weeks is enough to reply.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Yeah you're right. Two weeks is more than enough! I feel I've earnt my rite to name and shame, and I've even made donations to the STW guys in the spirit of the forum.

Does any know Smoothie?????

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Interesting profile. Only comes on here to sell stuff, never done anything else by the looks of it

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/profile/smoothie

cp

it didn't take much finding to find the posting about the seatpost!

interestingly, all his postings on here are in the classifieds.

tails
    Free Member

Interesting profile. Only comes on here to sell stuff, never done anything else by the looks of it

Agreed, but strangly it's a name I recognise. Doesn't WCA live down that way. In the mean time lets lynch him. 💡

Drac

A thread appeared yesterday about the same guy. He stopped posting 2 weeks ago too, maybe he has internet trouble are is away some where. However, I personally have a dislike of people using these forums just to sell stuff.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Drac, it's thought, but If I had intenet problems, I can log on at home, on my phone and at work. Otherwise, if I had your money, I'd be off to an internet cafe to get it sorted. Unless he's half dead in hospital, there's no excuse, IMO (Aplogies if he _is_ in the hopspital, BTW!)

Skyliner
    Free Member

I wonder if I can get his address from somewhere. If I get there I'll be selling tickets to the show!! I think I'm going to have to be very cautious from now on. Shame its illegal to be able to lynch him!! In the hope that somebody knows him please can you post/email me. Many Thanks.

hora
    Free Member

Smoothie isnt IWH?

Skyliner
    Free Member

hora, what does IWH mean? Ta.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member
    Skyliner
    Free Member

Monster Thread!!!
    I feel sick, have read in depth on Smoothie's postings and it seems to be a re-occuring problem! Do I email the MODS to block his membership? Wouldnt want this to happen to any of you guys too.

takisawa2

You need a friendly local postierich.
    I was waiting on some wheels posted on the 9th. Plenty of contact with seller but still no wheels. Much thanks to postierich off here. He dug them out of a backlog at the local depot.
    Your post might well be stuck in a similar situation. Have you asked at your local depot ?

Skyliner
    Free Member

takisawa2 , been to the local depot a few days ago, they had a good dig about and no post. Granted probably not as good as a dig about as postierich. I hope I meet Smoothie one day!!

Drac

Drac, it's thought, but If I had intenet problems, I can log on at home, on my phone and at work. Otherwise, if I had your money, I'd be off to an internet cafe to get it sorted.

Good point but no everyone has internet access at work and other have strict restrictions, I don't use STW at work as the connection is through a proxy so is very slow. If you had my money you'd not be selling anything. 😆

Skyliner
    Free Member

(I have blacked out the young one for legal reasons). This is him! Do you know this man?? He looks very Rich.

Jamie
    Free Member

Argghhh! Demon baby!

iDave
    Free Member

He looks very Rich.

his castle needs a bit of renovation – maybe he has a special fund for that?

Skyliner
    Free Member

I do hope I bump into him….

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Fair size pond he has too

Being more serious, I think its about time that the people that just come on here to sell are dealt with
    Firstly don't let the classifieds be available to lurkers, only registered users. Stops casual browsers just coming on here for a bargain and not contributing to other topIcs. also stops passers by finding it for a scamming opportunity

Next have a minimum post of 100 or more before you can start to sell,obviously needs be something other than everytime someone posts a pic of a bike, a reply saying "nice bike" so mods involved to check

Lastly a more rigid set of rules, such as need to give name,addresss and tel number before a sale is allowed (by email for obvious reasons)
    All communication apart from the exchanging of personal/payment details to be shown on the thread for transparency

Anyone disobeying the rules to get banned and lifetime ban if trying to re-register or caught scamming

That's enough for a start, but all this dodgy dealing must stop soon, maybe begin afresh for the new year

Skyliner
    Free Member

Hi Tijuana Taxi. I see your thread had some involvement from all and I've got to agree with you about people that just use the classified forum. It would take some setting up but then I feel the forum(s) would turn into a safer place. I think whatever the rules the persistant numpties would find a way around them. Great idea about more contact information tho, at least that would mean HE would get a knock on his door over the holidays! Hope your items turn up one day mate. I don't think people realise how crap it is to have your money nicked until it happens to them. Would love to put a stop to it.

user-removed
    Free Member

Perhaps an indication next to user's names, of the time on the site, or number of posts would help people make a decision about dealing with them?

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Hi Skyliner, really hope you haven't been ripped off, does leave a bad taste and makes you lose a bit of faith in the trust system on which we all rely.
    From that thread of mine it proves just how decent the vast majority of people are, you are right though the real lowlifes will always find a way to get round any safeguards. Making it a bit harder for them would no doubt put some of the chancers off though.

As an aside, quick update on my situation, still no items.
    Seller didn't directly refund me, but he did make a donation to the Russ appeal which closes the matter for me.
    That thread went on a bit(lot)although I think it helped make clear the standards expected in this type of trading

Hope you get that knock from the postie

Cheers

gtkid
    Free Member

I always check the user profile for recent post activity before agreeing to buy anything, touch wood, so far so good.

takisawa2

Would the mods allow an ongoing thread where you could post a quick review if you've bought / sold & its been positive…
    Eg:-

takisawa2 – Posted quickly, good communication.

takisawa2 – Paid quickly, no problems.

Should be easy enough to search / scroll through the thread to check.
    I suppose someone could register loads of times, & post numerous good reviews for themselves, but a quick profile check should weed them out right???

wwaswas

why not just post on the original thread you bought the stuff through saying what you thought?

I don't think it's really down to Singletrack to police this – they don't (yet) charge for ads and it woudl be very time consuming trying to deal with disputes etc. If you want that sort of service give ebay 10% of every sale?

sc-xc

There are a lot of freeloaders just using classifieds. Check out manwells, a nasty little man judging by his 2 forays into the real forum.

(mis)selling a ropey old spesh across bikeradar, gumtree, bikemagic, woolyback and here…

There's probably nothing that can be done formally, but I'm going to continue posting on their sale threads just to piss them off. Because it makes me feel better – and I have a very shallow and unfulfilling life 8)

matthewjb
    Free Member

Some good points about restricting usage of the Classifieds.

Another forum I frequent has the following rules:
    [list=1]
    [*]You can't post on the Classifieds until you have 50 posts.[/*]

[*]You can't see the Classifieds until you have 50 posts[/*]

[/list]

New joiners posting 50 short posts and then selling things I generally named and shamed.

There is also a separate forum listing 'Heroes & Villains' to enable people to give feedback on deals.

naokfreek
    Free Member

Tis indeed shite, been posting on the site for 5ish years now but, have only recently started the whole classifieds thing, so far so good but, the whole community can really do without this sort of thing happening more and more, which it appears to be doing.

Tricky one, but i think some sort of action should be taken to keep nasty types away…don't need it at all.

Skyliner
    Free Member

Good point about the majority of people on here, lots of very good likeminded personalities that wouldnt dream of ripping somebody off. I guess just like society there's always going to be a few. Whilst it has always been in the back of my mind that all transactions are not supported by the host site I never would have thought it would happen to me! God forbid how frustrating it would have been if it would of happened when I bought a carbon full sus frame off here…I dread to think!! Thankfully the guy was 100% genuine. If I buy anything in the future and you are reading this please forgive me if I ask for a little more info. Fingers crossed for the postman, and yes ANOTHER email sent to smoothie!!

uplink
    Free Member

why not just post on the original thread you bought the stuff through saying what you thought?

Because it would be buried 20 pages back & no one would see it – the classifieds don't bump up with newer posts

thomthumb
    Free Member

tbf if people didn't buy from clasified only posters they'd bugger off soon enough.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Not defending the seller but the post of late around here has been terrible. Still waiting for stuff sent 1st class last week and something sent Special Delivery on Monday. That said no one could have predicted Xmas could they…….

wwaswas

uplink – but most peopel were sayign they check previous threads by the seller which would being these 'feedback' posts up as well?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What do I do about stuff not turning up?’ is closed to new replies.