• This topic has 21 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What difference do wheels make
  • mactheknife

On my mountain bike i have always kept with the standard wheelset.
    Now as i dont have a comparison, what difference could i expect with a more expensive/better rated wheelset.

Just curious really. I have a spesh stumpy and to be honest there isnt much on it im looking at changing.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Lighter, stronger? Faster hub engagement perhaps? To be honest, unless you keep bending wheels or feel that their weight is an issue, I can't see why you'd upgrade.

bol

When I swapped the standard dt wheels on my stumpy to roval traversees it felt like a very different bike to ride. Much quicker pickup/acceleration and quicker up hills. The most significant upgrade you can make to most bikes IMO.

Woody
    Free Member

There was a huge thread about this a little while ago with various calculations (which were way beyond my mathematical talents) which concluded that the difference between light and heavy wheels was minimal.

I don't believe it for a second as a lighter rotating mass ie. rims/spokes and tyres primarily, makes an enormous difference IME.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think you've misreported that thread Woody.

Rotating weight is more important, but you can save it more cheaply with tyres etc

skidartist
    Free Member

Its difficult for most people to make an objective comparison as the freshly built, taught, spritely new wheels they've bought will always feel better than the loose, tired, old wheels they are replacing. I've switched from old slender 517s to chunky new Big Fat Mammoths and been sure that the new ones feel both lighter and quicker, but if fact they've just been newer. The weight saving actually comes from riding with lighter pockets. 🙂

CaptJon
    Free Member

Where can i get some of these lightweight pockets you talk of?

Drac

Where can i get some of these lightweight pockets you talk of?

Send me £50 and I'll tell you.

skidartist
    Free Member

I'll sell you some, but they are pricy!

crikey
    Free Member

Oooh ooh, let me play please!

1. How much weight can you actually save by buying lighter wheels, tyres, tubes?
    2. How much does it cost?
    3. What actual performance gains can I expect?

Drac

3) Is easy apparently you'll be much fast up hills and no it's not Emperor's New Clothes.

MrNutt
    Free Member

lighter wheels cause hair loss conversely heavier wheels make you more attractive to the opposite sex.

crikey
    Free Member

…and has anyone told the 29er boys about this?

Drac

lighter wheels cause hair loss conversely heavier wheels make you more attractive to the opposite sex.

Hmmm! I guess I'm the exception.

crikey
    Free Member

How much time does extra weight cost on Alpe d’Huez?

This is worth a read, especially the comments section at the bottom, and would suggest that my scepticism regarding weight and rotating weight is well placed…

(especially when considered in the actual context of mountain biking in the UK by STWers…)

mactheknife

cool. thanks all. 😛

yetiguy
    Free Member

on a road bike wheel weight makes a huge difference, mostly because of higher rotating speed.

On a mtb, unless you were a XC racer, i dont see that its as big a deal

Woody
    Free Member

Cynic-al

Mis-reported ? Possibly but I lost the will to live half way through it.

Thread in question HERE

crikey
    Free Member

on a road bike wheel weight makes a huge difference

How big is this 'huge'?

Drac

Actaully I can see how bol is the expert now on how much quicker his bike will be up hills now, I mean the guy lives in Norfolk. 😯

LapSteel
    Free Member

Actaully I can see how bol is the expert now on how much quicker his bike will be up hills now, I mean the guy lives in Norfolk

:mrgreen:

Maybe he drives tut thills

Drac

I hope he has light wheels on his car so he gets there quicker. 😛

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What difference do wheels make’ is closed to new replies.