Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • What diesel auto mpg's are you getting?
  • priceyboy
    Free Member

As the title says, looking at a fairly new diesel auto family/executive car
    Any recommendations and/or comments greatly received

freddyg
    Free Member

I’ve just taken delivery of an 09 BMW 320D and am getting an average of 53mpg. A colleague has an 07 520D and gets 50+ too and he hammers it everywhere.

Spud

I got my new E Class E250 CDI auto estate at the end of September, at last the engine is showing signs of improvement in economy. I’m getting 40mpg on motorway runs around 100miles or so and that’s pushing it at 85ish. I should say that it does have 19″ wheels! Around town high 20s/ low 30s. my 7 mile run to work normally gets me just under 30mpg. It’s a big car though and I do tend to have a heavy right foot. For a family mile muncher it’s great, loads of space, very comfy etc etc.

snaps
    Free Member

I had a Vauxhall Insignia estate 2.0 diesel automatic hire car before christmas & it returned 48-53mpg running from rural Devon to the Midlands 6 times (80% motorway cruising @ 75mph)

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

1.8 TDCi Ford S-Max. 38-40ish around town. 50 on motorway runs

FAIL
    Free Member

New XJ, getting a reported 37mpg. Thats mostly A, B and Motorway work not too much time in the city.

br
    Free Member

The wifes’ Freelander get 33-35 mpg.
    A riding buddy’s 530d was 32-35 mpg.

I think that urban running hits them quite hard.

The new 520d is supposed to be very good, but with any car I always look at whatever the worst number is on the official figures – and assume thats what I’ll average.

molgrips
    Free Member

Passt 2006 2.0 TDi auto gives from 35-45mpg around town and 45-55mpg on long motorway trips. At the top end of those ranges in summer, and the bottom end in winter of course, like all diesels.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

Honda civic for me.2.2cdi o-60 around the 8 second mark and at the moment the average mpg on the computer is 49.4 also it was great in the snow because of the front wheel drive

Dibbs
    Free Member

Total Fuel (l) 957.50
    Total Miles 13858
    Ave. MPG 65.97
    Ave Cost per mile £0.08

singletrackmind

Blimey Dibbs…. What diesel automatic are you getting 65mpg out of?

mau00149
    Free Member

i was just about to ask the exact same thing lol

ps44
    Free Member

Smax 2.0 diesel auto. 40mpg hooning it to the Alps. 40mpg chuffing about locally.

Dibbs
    Free Member

[Embarrassed] Smart CDi Cabriolet (799cc’s of turbo-charged muscle 😆 ) [/Embarrassed]
    I’ve had 70+mpg out of it but I’m still disappointed as they claim 84mpg, zero tax band though.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Last year I had a 55 Plate Passat Diesel 130 that would regularly get me between 55 and 60 mpg from a mix of motorway and urban

gator
    Free Member

VW Golf Estate 2.0 – about 46 to 55 depending on weather and driving style.

But I’m not an eco-driver 🙄

flange100
    Free Member

toyota hilux 4×4 33 mpg

Rio

XF, 35-40 on short journeys, 45-50 on the motorway, can get it down to low 30’s if I’m having fun. Best I’ve had on a run is 57.6.

Best I ever had out of my ’56 2.0 TDI 140bhp manual was 39mpg and that was a mix of motorway and urban.

I wasn’t exactly gentle with it, but it amazes me that people manage to get over 50mpg out of a variety of cars – auto’s at that.

molgrips
    Free Member

65mpg from a smart isn’t so good when you can get that from a much bigger Golf or Prius, or even a Passat bluemotion.

In my Passat, I set the cruise on 70 and leave it there – best I ever got from Cardiff to J12 was 57, all summer it was over 50mpg to that point. However at 80mph it went down to 46 or 48.

There is a knack to economical driving, and I don’t mean going slowly although it clearly helps.

STR – I got 34mpg on a run with a caravan on the back, and only regularly get down below 40 on pure urban driving in the winter. You clearly don’t have the knack 🙂

oink
    Free Member

40mpg out of a mercedes vito 120cdi, 208bhp, unless i hoon it, in which case 25-30mpg
    – not bad for a six seater van

Dibbs
    Free Member

65mpg from a smart isn’t so good when you can get that from a much bigger Golf or Prius,

Depends where you have to drive, a workmate has a Prius and he’s struggling to get 50mpg on the same route another has an Ecomotion Seat and he’s rather disappointed too.

Gary_C

Just a thought, how is everyone working our their mpg figures ?

Are you all doing it the ‘correct’ way, i.e mileage done over a tank to tank fill up, or the ‘incorrect’ way, i.e. going off what it says on the trip computer ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends where you have to drive, a workmate has a Prius and he’s struggling to get 50mpg on the same route

It’s all in the technique. You do have to pay attention to what you’re doing, and that hybrid system is more sensitive to technique.

I’m going by the trip computer, but I have checked it against tank to tank and it’s one or two different either way at random.

nosherduke996
    Free Member

The secret is to use cruise control whenever you can.I know it can be a pain in the arse but you try it, it works.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Discovery 2.5TDI 4by4

22MPG

WIth current price hikes 120quid to fill it up

STR – I got 34mpg on a run with a caravan on the back, and only regularly get down below 40 on pure urban driving in the winter. You clearly don’t have the knack

No – I clearly had a company car and fuel card.

Still never used to get close using cruise control though.

Get between 28mpg & 32mpg in my 2.5l 170bhp TDCi Ford Ranger atm.

bruk

520D, 1/2 urban, 1/2 motorway, averaging 43mpg over the 6 months I have had it. Would be better but for a reasonable number of cross country runs at quick pace for emergency call outs.

Got 40mpg out of previous Vectra but suspect my driving style is more relaxed in the new wheels as it is so much more comfortable and pleasant to drive.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Nissan Skyline R32 2.6 single turbo petrol. 643bhp

yet to get 6mpg…

But I’m having a hell of a lot more fun than you bunch of boring buggers

bruk

Aye Zed you will have more fun.

I however will get to my destination without bankrupting myself.

Having said that still wish we had kept the wife’s MX5 for fun. Tried hard but can only get the rear to drift when its snowy in the 520d touring. Not quite the same.

midwales
    Free Member

wifes panda diesel – 55mpg
    my bmw 530d – 38mpg
    my 07 transit 2.2 tdci – 28 mpg

Zedsdead
    Free Member

I spend so little time driving my cars/motorcycles (due to my job) that the cost of fuel does not matter.

That’s not a good thing though….

bruk

I looked briefly at a 535D but decided that given the mileage I ususally cover it would have been fun but foolish. Sad when life intervenes to stop you having fun, either from too much time or too little time behind the wheel.

Dibbs
    Free Member

65mpg from a smart isn’t so good when you can get that from a much bigger Golf or Prius, or even a Passat bluemotion.

It’s only just struck me. are any of those “Auto” as per the title?

Dango
    Free Member

Cant be arsed to work out all that £££ spent vs miles driven (get a life)

Screen shows about 38-44 if I boot it around, 46-48 if using cruise etc and longer journeys.

2010 170CR DSG VRS hatchback

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The secret is to use cruise control whenever you can.I know it can be a pain in the arse but you try it, it works

Is that actually true? Ours is manual but Katie always seems to return higher mpg than me despite me using the cruise and she very rarely. This is on a typical UK journey with a bit of city and a lot of motorway (so the majority of the trip would be on cruise for me). We both drive at the same upper speed limit.

loddrik
    Free Member

Touran 2.0 tdi DSG. 45 around town 55 on motorway.

Dango
    Free Member

I use cruise a lot, helps lessen tyre and brake pad wear and keeps things more constant, on the motorway you often see cars accelerate past you only to slam the brakes on a few seconds later.

Sometimes I use satnav when I know where I’m going and have lots of time to spare, it’ll sometimes tell you are going to be very early to a meeting and I just dial in 60mph or similar on the motorway, take phone calls etc, relax, let everyone overtake you, still get to where you’re going on time and save money on fuel.

God, I’m really boring myself now ZZZZzzzzzz

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I use cruise a lot, helps lessen tyre and brake pad wear and keeps things more constant, on the motorway you often see cars accelerate past you only to slam the brakes on a few seconds late

exactly – it’s very rare that I’ll actually use the brakes on the motorway. Read the road ahead, slip the cruise off if you need to lose speed, then kick it back in again. It never feels like the computer fully opens the throttle to regain speed either. Katie tends rarely uses it, and whilst she doesn’t exactly do the tailgate/brake/tailgate thing she does tend to be on and off the brakes and accelerator. Yet the trip computer seems to show better economy when she drives!

GW
    Free Member

25 at a push

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘What diesel auto mpg's are you getting?’ is closed to new replies.