Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • what DE razor blades
  • petrieboy

Santa’s been!

So which of these blades are best for my first go?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter which of them you use while you order Feathers!

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

Derby, then Astra to see how much better they are. I hated the treets but ymmv, enjoy!

scotlandthedave
    Free Member

+1 for TGA comment. I haven’t used anything except feathers since 2012 and have no desire to experiment, they’re awesome

gobuchul
    Free Member

I prefer Astra to Feathers.

The feathers are too sharp for me.

The Gillette 7 o’clock are pretty good too.

The Derby blades are awful but the worst have to be Merkur blades. Make great razors and totally shite overpriced blades.

chewkw
    Free Member

In the order of sharpness from all your blades:

1. Gillette 7 o’clock or Astra (from same Russian factory if I can recall)
    2. Treet
    3. Derby
    4. Wilkinson

I cannot remember if I have tried Lord before.

😀

firestarter
    Free Member

I prefer derby extra of the ones ive tried i find feathers too sharp

unsponsored
    Free Member

Def go for feathers. I’ve used most of the ones shown in the OP. The only ones that came close to feathers were the Derby Extra that came with my razor.

wolly
    Free Member

I don’t mind Astras but as above feathers for me

VanMan
    Free Member

I’d go

1) Wilkinson
    2) Alum block
    3) Treet
    4) Alum block
    5) Gillette
    6) Alum block
    7) Buy Feathers and some plasters 😀

convert

How can a razor blade be too sharp. A razor blade only has one purpose in life and that’s to be sharp!

Feathers are also my blade of choice although to be fair I’m a beardy for 6 months a year and stubbly for the remainder so the razor is only used to tidy up around the edges.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

How can a razor blade be too sharp. A razor blade only has one purpose in life and that’s to be sharp!

Easily,IMHO.. & I agree 100% with Mick..

I can’t use Feather either… I find them too sharp. Mind, I’ve sensitive skin apparently.. 😳

Gillette 7 o’clock are my choice.

Alphabet

Another Feathers user here.

skiboy
    Free Member

Feathers.

Far better, consistent quality and very sharp. I started 4 yrs ago with a standard DB and derbys astras etc.
    Switched to feathers and open comb DB a year in and never went back. Superb shave even with 3 weeks growth. Can shave my mug just once over and get a better result than with normal blades and plenty of passes.
    I hack away a bit but it’s very rare I take a lump out my face.
    Make sure you use a good soap it makes all the difference with sharp blades. A nice thick lather and you get a nice glide. I use those Turkish Arko soap sticks. Bought a 6 pack off flea bay for a tenner 4 yrs ago and I’ve just started on my second stick I shave around once a fortnight.

tomkerton
    Free Member

And another one for feathers! Really very good.

MrPottatoHead

Out of that lot Astras were best for me, with the Gillettes a very safe second. Wilkinson sword were the worst but I don’t get on with their disposables either-always found them to be draggy. The Derbys cut me to pieces first time round but I got on much better once I’d been shaving a while. Everyone has different facial hair so really not a common answer on this one.

lovebadger
    Free Member

Astra’s for me… £7.48 from shaving.ie for 100 blades – good shave…last for 3-4 shaves – not too sharp like the feathers 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I use those Turkish Arko soap sticks

These are ace.. I bought a shed load of them in a Turkey this simmer when I was over there.
    At 35p each.
    Bargin.
    Mind, they’re only a quid over here..

jaymoid

Out of the ones you have there that I have tried, I’ve found the Gillette 7s the sharpest and longest lasting. I went through the phase of trying several brands before deciding feathers were the best (for me). The Gillettes 7 are a close second, and I get them if significantly cheaper.

Generally I’ve found country of production to be a factor:
    Egypt < Russia < Japan

popstar
    Free Member

It all depends on razor you use.

I have got Muhle R89 and feathers were better than astra, now i have got Muhle R41 and astra better suited to that razor than feathers.

Gillette and wilkinson imo very average and safe for newbies, but to be honest you have to understand preshave creams, your shaving soap, thickness of lather. Those little tricks will allow you to explore aggresive shaving which produces superb baby bum finish.

So Astra are very versatile and good value for money, Feathers if you perfect your preshave and lathering techniques, Derby are decent but not as smooth as Astra. I was very surprised by Arco stainless steel, cross between Astra and Feathers.

And get yourself an allum block bar, it will save you from your enthusiastic adventures in shaving world.

SixFootTwo
    Free Member

This thread has got me curious so have been looking at DE as my dad used one, might commit to trying it out, thanks.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘what DE razor blades’ is closed to new replies.