Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What Cyclocross Bike for Female 5'1" er, up to £1000
  • monksie
    Free Member

The best I can find at the moment is a Tricross. It’s nice but it’s not really setting her world on fire. The small size seems to be a problem with other brands. The Boardman (yawn) is her favourite but it doesn’t appear to go small enough.
    It’s going to be used for fireroad, canal towpath, easy bridleways and day/multiday touring. No racing at all.
    A dedicated tourer is not on the agenda.
    It has to have carbon forks. She’s not interested in buying somehting and upgraging the forks (although I might be able to do it withuot her knowledge. Tricky but possible).
    Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Monksie – I’m 5′ and I spent ages looking into this a couple of years ago. The only alternatives I could find that I really loved were custom builds, so far too expensive for me. Got a small tricross in the end (mainly cos someone I knew was selling one secondhand). Having thought it was just ‘ok’, I now love it and it’s often the bike I grab first as it’s so versatile (although riding some of the Marin trail on it was possibly pushing it a bit too far).

So don’t dismiss it for being not particularly exciting – it’s a good allround bike and would be perfectly suitable for the sort of riding you mention. Just a couple of things you might want to consider changing on it for a small woman – shorter cranks and a women’s specific bar (I find it a bit awkward to get into the drops)

if she wants to test ride one, she’s more than welcome to try mine (depending on where you are based)

monksie
    Free Member

That’s very kind of you Sue. Peak District area if you’re nearby? Can I ask what size you have and what size bar and cranks you went for?
    Nice one having a go at the Marin Trail on it!

crikey
    Free Member

Have a look at Raleigh, they have a crosser out that seems ok.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Monksie – I’m at work at the moment (ahem … not just posting on STW!), will check bike size when I get home tonight. I’ve still got the ‘standard’ bars and cranks on it as they aren’t so far off as to cause significant problems but would be better if I had the same as I have on my women’s specific road bike – I’ll check them as well when I get home.

I’m in north Wales but often trundling around the country.

Coleman
    Free Member

Giant TCX’s come in small sizes.
    My son has a TCX 1 in XS – 46cm seat and 52cm top tubes.
    Sadly will probably outgrow it this year, it’s been a great bike – light frame and sharp geometry.

domino

Monksie – I have a Giant TCX in XS and am 5’3″ – I am considering selling it as it hadn’t had much use, a couple of times off road and the odd road ride. DM me if you are interested but I am away til August now so may not respond immediately.

monksie
    Free Member

Will look at Raleigh Crikey. I hadn’t thought of them.
    Thanks Sue, Much appreciated. Unless soemthing else takes her fancy in the next week or so, we’ll be heading over tot he concept store in Chester.
    How tall is your son Coleman if you don’t mind me asking? It will be her first road type bike so we have no idea what top tube etc. she should be looking at. So far, the manufacturers websites suggest anything between 45 and 49cm.
    Incidentally, I also have a wanted ad. in the classifieds if you’re son is letting his go? Second hand wouldn’t be out of the question for her if she can get a nice bike.

monksie
    Free Member

Domino – you shall have email and August would suit perfectly to be honest. Major surgery means she is unable to ride until late August anyway.

domino

OK, well I am based in North Yorkshire so welcome to a try first.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Monksie – if the concept store doesn’t have one in the right size I could meet up with you and Mrs M in Chester so she can try mine (will give me an excuse to go for a ride along the coast!)

I’m currently running quite road-orientated 25c tyres on it and a pannier rack as it’s my commuting bike as well, but I think the standard spec comes with 32c which are chunky enough for off-road.

Not sure of Mrs M’s proportions, but I have quite long legs (relatively given that I’m only 5′!) and a shorter torso – so need a fairly ‘female’ geometry. I personally found a 520 top tube too long – but I guess that just highlights that even at around the same height we can fit different sized bikes.

LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

Pompetamine? I’m 5’3″ and bought the S. Steel forks soak up the trail buzz just as nicely as carbon and help you prevent wheelies while climbing…

Coleman
    Free Member

Monksie. Might be interested in selling, I will send e-mail.

jonathan
    Free Member

I know of a diminutive female who found one of these a good fit for cross/road: http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/luath700lrg.html

Maybe worth a look if you struggle to find an adult bike to fit well. Would certainly leave spare cash for upgrades and kit!

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies and a huge thank you to Sue for the very kind offers of meeting up and trying yours out.
    Domino and Coleman – you both have email.
    I really fancy one of those drop bar On One’s for me. Sadly, my bike buying budget wouldn’t even buy a frame.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Just checked my bike and I’ve got the 49 tricross (there is a 46, but I do t think they import that size I to the uk). Strangely the Tricross has a relatively short top tube for a 49 frame as the ETT is 516. This is a more ‘female’ geometry than other ‘unisex’ bikes and compares well to my women’s specific road bike (48 frame and 506 ETT). Just checked the bars and cranks as well – Tricross has 400 width bars and 700 cranks, my women’s road bike has 380 bars and 650 cranks.

Overall my road bike is a perfect fit for me, the Tricross is slightly bigger but actually very comfortable to ride and might be spot on if Mrs M is 5’1″ as I am a mere 5′!

Sorry for burbling on with lots of measurements, but thought it might be of help if you’re looking at other bikes too. Offer to meet is no problem, I know how hard it can be as a ‘smaller than average person’ to ever test rides bikes!

trio25
    Free Member

Have you considered the Specialized Crux?

I have a focus mares in XS which would probably be small enough and is a lovely bike.

mattsccm
    Free Member

For that sort of use you will find the Tricross lovely. I run a 49cm SS more that all my other bikes put together. its too small but that has helped the arthritis in the wrists. Gong to move it on but only for the next size up.

monksie
    Free Member

Thanks again everybody. A few different manufacturers to consider as well.
    Really big thank you to Sue for going to the trouble of measuring your bikes up for ua. very helpful indeed and if we end up in Chester (although Nicky is currently trying to decide on one of two used bikes that have been offered), the coffee and cakes are definitley on us.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What Cyclocross Bike for Female 5'1" er, up to £1000’ is closed to new replies.