Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What Cyclocross bike
  • bakey

After the HTN event, I quite fancy a cyclocross bike. It will be used for road training for MTB, a bit of turbo/rollers, the odd race this winter and for general pottering about with the kids.

Any recommendations in the £750 – £1200 range?

flyingfox
    Free Member

Kinesis do some fantastic CX bikes, which are always reviewed highly. I'm building up an Argon 18 for extra-bling factor.

aP
    Free Member

Which colour do you like?

johnny63

Got a Ridley Crossbow last year – 899 and its a super bike for the money and complete with rack and guard eyes too

Harry_the_Spider

I've got one of these which I like a lot.

Never ridden another cross bike so I can't compare it.

Bakey, Summer HtN preview ride on Sat 17th April. Bring your new toy along if you have it.

marionheck
    Free Member

I have an uncle jon as well, really like it. Given it quite a good hammering and it came out fighting. Going touring on it next month so see how that goes. overall I would recommend as a very versatile bike.

bakey

Harry-the-Spider, I'd love to try out the course, but I'm at the SSEC thingy in FoD then…

The Uncle Johns look good, but they've none in my size (small) alas.

Thanks for the replies.

oldgit
    Free Member

They're all good. And Turbos don't like CX tyres.

Surfr
    Free Member

Kona jake the snake is well specced (105, mavic, kona) and a great ride and at 1k, right in the middle of your budget

MrAgreeable

I had a Jake (not a Jake The Snake) which was very capable and handled nicely on and off road. I now have a Ragley which is very racey in comparison, much lower at the front end and noticeably lighter. An alu frame should be OK for light touring and hack duties, but if you're going to load it up majorly I'd go for a steel frame to avoid the misery of stripped frame eyelets.

oldgit
    Free Member

Have a look at the Zepnat. F&F £375 I think, plus colour option. Has eyes and bottle mounts, but strips down to a race frame.
    Sora 9 speed groupset from Ribble £179 then sell the calipers.
    Shimano wheelset £65-£100 from Ribble.
    That leaves more than a few bob for all the other parts.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What Cyclocross bike’ is closed to new replies.