Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What CX/Gravel bike chainset for 1×11?
  • downhillfast
    Free Member

Im going to change my “gravel bike” gearing from 2×11 (50/34 with 11-32 cassette) to 1×11 (44t with 10-42 Sram cassette).
    I have 90% of the parts required but…

…the GXP BB could do with replacing, and the FSA cranks are looking rough, so I’m thinking of changing them.
    I’d prefer a dedicated 1x crankset, but with a 44t chainring.
    Looked at SRAM (Apex) stuff but that seems to be for a PF30 BB and my frame is threaded, I don’t think there’s any adapter that can make that combination work?

What other options are out there for a 1 x crankset to fit a threaded BB shell and come with (or accept) a 44t narrow wide chainring?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

SRAM Red

downhillfast
    Free Member

Just to add….

I guess the “cheap” option is to find a 44t 110bcd N/W chainring and fit that to my existing cranks.
    And replace the GXP BB.

But by the time I’ve done all that it might not be much more to just buy a new chainset with BB?

swanny853

Superstar do 110bcd narrow wide, oval if you fancy. Not too expensive at ~£30. Or do you want direct mount?

Have been tempted by the sram ones, force seems to drop a fair bit of weight. Otherwise I generally find it hard to see past shimano cranks.

downhillfast
    Free Member

I’ll have a look at Superstar, thanks.
    All the parts I’ve collected are Sram Apex (shifter/hydro-brakes, mech, cassette) so I thought it made sense to go with Sram?

downhillfast
    Free Member

Looks like there’s a Sram Apex 1 GXP chainset although it only goes up to 42T (guess I could live with that 2 tooth difference).

boxelder

Praxis?

mboy
    Free Member

Looks like there’s a Sram Apex 1 GXP chainset although it only goes up to 42T (guess I could live with that 2 tooth difference).

A 44/10 top gear on a “Gravel” bike would be enormous! Effectively the same as 50/11 on a road bike, but with 38c tyres instead of 25’s, and offroad too, it would be nigh on impossible to push!

That said, you can get narrow/wide 110BCD rings in a multitude of sizes, all the way up to 54T (for the budding Tony Martin’s) I believe.

Looked at SRAM (Apex) stuff but that seems to be for a PF30 BB and my frame is threaded, I don’t think there’s any adapter that can make that combination work?

All SRAM stuff is available in either a BB30 or a GXP fitment, so you can find one to suit your requirements. That said, Apex isn’t exactly much of an upgrade. I’d either stick with what you have and buy a narrow/wide and a new BB for it, or shell out on Force or Red to get carbon cranks at least.

Praxis?

Worth checking out for sure, their rings are impressive, and though slightly boxier in looks, their cranks come recommended by many.

downhillfast
    Free Member

I have a 2nd set of wheels with conti slicks on for the occasional Sunday road ride or a sportive (did “Struggle”- The Dales) earlier this year.
    I didn’t spin out the higher gears, but did wish I had a lower gear or two on some of the climbs!
    Maybe a 42T and 10-42 would be ok.

TiRed

DT can laugh, but I have sram red carbon cranks on my cross bike with a narrow wide Absolute Black 130bcd 38T chainring. Very nice they are too and a bargain at £50 used. I run the bike with two wheel sets, cross with 12/32 and road 11/23, both 10 speed, but 11 would also be fine.

velomanic
    Free Member

SRAM do a 44t ring for their Apex 1 cranks but like mboy says, that’s a big gear for cx/gravel.

I’ve got SRAM Apex 1 GXP cranks with a 44t chainring on my Whyte Wessex One and it’s good for nearly 40mph if you spin it up with the 42/10t at the back.

Wolftooth also do 110bcd N/W single rings if there’s still life left in your current cranks.

jonnyrockymountain

sram force carbon with absolute black direct mount oval ring

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What CX/Gravel bike chainset for 1×11?’ is closed to new replies.