Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What CX Disc Wheels?
  • Andyhilton
    Free Member

I’m building up a CX bike and know next to nothing about CX Wheels.

What I want is a clincher with a disc hub. I was going to build my Hope Pro2 Evo hubs onto Mavic Open Pros but are there any other options I should consider. Being a bit of a bike tart I like the anodised hope hubs and have a set I can use but I will consider other options.

Thanks

Andy

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Nah, I’d say they were pretty much spot on, spec wise.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1

Very few factory CX disc wheels out there.

You could go for a lightweight 29er set…I run Hope Hoops on Crests on my disc commuter, but Pro2 with OPs are a solid option.

jonba
    Free Member

Open pros are narrow. If you are only going to run cx tyres you could get something wider.

The crests might be ok but there are stories of people having tyre fitting trouble.

I just got some non machined surface A23s on hope hubs from justridingalong.

They were very helpful with options when I emailed them and gave me a couple in my price range.

You can get TN317
    TN719

or these two
    http://www.justridingalong.com/wheel-parts/rims/h-plus-son-archetype-rim.html
    http://www.justridingalong.com/wheel-parts/rims/h-plus-son-archetype-rim.html

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Those h plus son rims look nice but pricey.

flip
    Free Member

What I want is a clincher with a disc hub. I was going to build my Hope Pro2 Evo hubs onto Mavic Open Pros

Bang on, i had some built at Hewitts, top job.

CraigW
    Free Member

For something slightly different to Open Pros, Mavic CXP 22 / CXP33 are nice. Possibly a bit stronger, and may look better.

barn
    Free Member

+1000000000000000 for A23s from Jra.
    Set up tubeless.
    The best.

simondbarnes

Hopes are a bit heavy but nice and reliable. I’m building up a set of cx wheels with some A2Z disc hubs and BOR tub rims. Am very tempted to use some Sapim CX-Ray spokes but they’re £££££

edsbike
    Free Member

I’ve ordered the H Plus Sons on Pro 2s from JRA. Should have arrived yesterday but didn’t, I’ll report back once I’ve got my hands on them.

Ed

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Halo Aerotrack rims built to Novatec disc hubs on the Tripster. The rims have no braking surface and are pretty much similar weight to the Open Pro and the hubs are lighter than Hope, 6 bolt, cartridge bearing and not too pricey at all (direct from Hong Kong on eBay). The rims aren’t eyeletted but seem really strong, deep section so they tick your bike tart box and come in lots of pretty colours (tick box again). Mine are black by the way… I’ve done thousands of miles on mine on a bumpy commutes mainly, running 28mm Conti 4 Seasons at the moment. They take a much wider tyre though. HTH.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies chaps. I’m still thinking Hope and open pros. Hopes customer service is excellent and I have utilised their excellence in the past. The Novotecs intrigue me though. To ebay!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

You’re welcome! I have Hope on the mountain bike and swear by them – superb hubs – but gave a cheaper version of the Novatec ones I’ve now got a run on the Tripster a few years ago. They were faultless, so when I got some new wheels built I went for these as they’re lighter.

simon1975

AeroTrack rims +1

Mine are over 2 years old and seem pretty bombproof. I ride plenty of rocky stuff on them and although I built them with lightweight Sapim Lasers they have stayed very true. The blue anodising has scratched a bit but they still look good.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I use CXP33’s and have had no issues in 18 months of “rough stuff” Not the lightest but strong and mildly aero and the crap slides off. Don’t use Hope. They sound like 2 hedgehogs having a **** in a dustbin.

ribena
    Free Member

I use the Aerotracks on a Tripster too. Good rims. I weighed them at about 430 grams and only 24 quid from Winstanleys who seem to be able to get them in pretty quick even when out of stock.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What CX Disc Wheels?’ is closed to new replies.