Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What cranks carbon content
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Busted my left xt M800 crank arm. Do I buy the same again (a bit dull) save some money and get slx (meh) or up the price and get something carbon second hand. Ho hum

170mm Standard bb running 1 x 10

Tracey

Chain Reaction were selling off carbon SRAM XOs a few weeks ago for silly money, might still have some.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Worth looking to see if Shimano do a L only replacement?

smatkins1
    Free Member

I am also in this boat. My XT non driveside crank arm is ready for the bin.

I scratched the carbon crank itch a few years ago with some SIXC cranks which let me down (the pedal threads broke away from the carbon) so I went crawling back to the old faithful Shimano.

Now the time has come again for new cranks I’ve given-in to temptation and ordered some X01 cranks. I’m hoping I wont be disappointed.

sillyoldman

If you’re breaking Shimano cranks, then carbon jobs won’t last well for you.

mboy
    Free Member

Got a pair of immaculate Raceface Next SL cranks, 170mm arms, choice of chainrings to go with them, for sale right now… Email in profile if of any interest.

andyl
    Free Member

If you’re breaking Shimano cranks, then carbon jobs won’t last well for you.

This was my first thought I’m afraid.

Shimano cranks may not be light but they are generally pretty damn tough.

Northwind

What did you do to the old crank? Might be relevant.

The new Next SLs are supposed to have fixed the loose pedal insert problem. Guess we’ll see about that. SixC is supposed to be stronger but it’s a fair bit heavier to boot.

The main thing with SRAM is, don’t use their BBs. That side, they’re alright. Not super-light though from memory.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Well I swap pedals quite a bit , left the left one loose and I destroyed the threads . Have tried screwing in from the other side, aluminium foil trick etc . Have asked about a helicoil at my two local bikes shops and they can’t do it . Might send it away to be fixed but they are very tired cranks and as with all these things I need a replacement sooner rather than later , so I might take the chance to try something else …

CRC look like they are sold out of the cheaper xo and had a quick google for left only at it was silly money but ta though

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

😳

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What cranks carbon content’ is closed to new replies.