Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What cracked my Thomson stem?
  • baldman
    Free Member

As title, could I have over torqued the bolts, though thought that would squash steerer, not split stem? Not had any big crashes, but it’s a few years old so it’s had a good amount of use.

Small crack, approx 1cm long running straight from the steerer towards bars right in the middle at top.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Either your radness, a QC issue, or Thomson in “not infallible” shocker!

baldman
    Free Member

Defo not radness cynic-al tend to keep my wheels on the ground!

legend
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    Either your radness, your cack-handedness, a QC issue, or Thomson in “not infallible” shocker!

FTFY

matt_outandabout

I snapped a Thomson seatpost after 8 weeks use. I was not convinced at all. My On-One post seems a copy of it, but waaay cheaper.

The only other seatpost I have bust was 3 years old Orange OE item, and had towed a tag along off road regularly.

Haze

I cracked a face plate, put it down to over-tightening.

baldman
    Free Member

Suspect you could be right legend, I’ve only got my uncalibrated hands as a guide for torque settings, just interested to get people’s thoughts.

Matt – I’ve bust a few posts (kore, orange and Raceface), but the Thomson one is the only one that’s lasted, which is why I went for stem too, guess the stems may not be as tough as the posts!

andyl
    Free Member

can’t help the OP except maybe buy a cheap torque key thing but the face plates are a consumable item which is why they sell them quite reasonably priced.

Northwind

From your description, it’s not fitting error, crack’s in the wrong place.

althepal

Drop them a mail and see what they think.. You never know.
    Get a torque key or something similar for next time..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What cracked my Thomson stem?’ is closed to new replies.