• This topic has 89 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by 5lab.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • what coupe for bike in the boot?
  • 5lab

so, the trusty mondeo is probably going to cost a fair bit to get through its next mot (half the exhaust fell off a few months ago, and its always got more rust than last time) so I’m mooching my options over for a new car.

the only requirements i have are it must be a bit silly (in 5 years I’ll probably have a family, so this is probably my last chance to run a silly car before I’m going through a mid-life crisis), and I must be able to get a bike in the back, with only its front wheel removed.

so, aside from a holden v8 ute (which seem to go for ~10k, even at 10 years old) or an avantime, I’m probably looking at a ‘lift back’ coupe, probably a 2+2 with the back seats down (I don’t think there’s any chance of fitting something in a 350z or a z4 etc). There are hundreds out there, but i’ve no idea which ones will fit a bike and which ones won’t. I guess a few of you folk have had some experiance of these and might provide some answers/suggestions for different options.

So, what I can think of from the top of my head :

Integra (probably a DC2)
    Puma
    Porsche 924/944
    300ZX
    Camaro
    tt (probably too small and I don’t realy like them)
    Corrado

There’s probably a bunch of others I’ve not thought of. Max budget would be 5k but would rather spend as little as possible and blow the rest on bikes 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Bike will go in the back of an Alfa GT with just the front wheel removed and the back seats folded down.

5lab

aah – I’d not realised they were liftbacks (thought the ‘boot’ was like a saloon rather than a hatch). added to the list – cheers 🙂

TheFlyingOx

Infiniti G35 Coupe.
    Very silly indeed, but the back “seats” fold down. Kind of. You’ll get a bike in if you try hard enough. And you should get one for just about £5k, if you’re lucky.

Fop
    Free Member

Hyundai coupe?

5lab

g35 is a traditional coupe from what I can see (so just a small boot lid-the glass stays in place). also I can only find one for sale in the whole of the UK, think it might be a tricky option.

Hyundai coupe fits the bill, but I’ve always felt a little ‘meh’ about it. Never been taken by the looks, and they’re a bit underpowered (170bhp from a 2.7??)

momo

Integra will take a bike easily with the rear seats folded down, great car to drive too, only problem is that they’re all getting on a bit now many have problems with the front arches rotting and the recaros seem to wear quite badly.

TT will take a bike, not sure if it’ll take one without removing the rear wheel though as the hatch is fairly small. Build quality is very good, but they’re fairly dull to drive (IMO)

Puma is an excellent car, again I don’t think you’ll get away without removing both wheels. Not the fastest car out there c140bhp with the 1.7 (the only engine worth buying) but superb handling makes up for that, again it’s a car that’s getting on a bit now and I have seen a few with rusty arches.

I have no experience of the other cars so can’t comment on them, but if it were my money it would be headed to the Honda or a RS Clio – I had one of the original 300 UK import ‘tegs (number 86 iirc) and have recently picked up a Clio 172, but great fun to drive but I find the clio more fun on a daily basis, doesn’t need to be wrung out quite so hard to come alive.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If your thinking Puma, just go for the Fiesta 1.6 instead and which will have more room, be cheaper and drives almost the same. I never got the Puma myself just a Fiesta with a different body on top and a ally gear stick woopee.

Why does the bike have to go in the back? Would a bike rack not be ok, that would open your possibilities to much more fun cars like an MX5 or Lotus Elise.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Not quite a coupe but if it were my money I’d get a Civic Type R. One of the most enjoyable cars I’ve ever owned. 5k will get you a decent one.
    If it has to be a coupe have a look at a Celica VVTI.

matttromans
    Free Member

I get 2 bikes and 2 people in the back of the ‘rado pretty easily, but both wheels need to come off. A mate of mine has a 944, he can get a bike in the back (again, both wheels off), but would struggle to get 2 because of the gearbox being in the back (high boot floor). 5k would get you a mint ‘rado or a nice/decent 944 s2. Both brilliant cars. Both lots of fun. The noise of the VR6 on full chat is addictive. You have been warned.

matttromans
    Free Member

Just re-read my post. Obviously I don’t get 2 bikes and 2 people in the back of the ‘rado! You know what I mean though.

5lab

cheers guys.

I had an MX5 until recently, and strapping the bikes (and surfboard when I want) to a bolted on boot rack was something I pondered. My budget would get a rather nice turbo, I thought, given that I’d ‘been there’, I’d look at my other options. I don’t really want to look at standard ‘strap on’ boot racks, as they’re a massive faff, and fairly likely to result in a bike lying in pieces in the middle of the road (I don’t want a roof rack for the same reason). I’d consider a hitch mounted rack as (IMO) they’re far better suited to the job – but I’m aware that most sporty things don’t come with a hitch mount as an option.

cheers for the info so far – Matt – will a corrado not fit a bike without front wheel with the back seats folded? they look a similar size to a integra etc which is why I thought it’d go?

with the clio 172\civic type r\other hot hatches, I’m a little put off by the fact that I can always have a hot hatch (the whole point of one being that they’re a family car, which goes well). they may be ‘better’ cars than the options I’m looking at but they somehow don’t quite tick the box.

Celica is a good shout – both the modern shape (which isn’t meant to be the best steer) and the older gt4s etc

H

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

bike racks a problem on a journey – stopping of for a waz at a service station for a start – hence why I got rid of my 156 for a GT.

cp

+1 for the celica – huge boot

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

If you have aleady had an MX5 you would certainly find a Puma incredibly dull in comparison!

Personally I would go for the most impratical sports car you can, then you have the smile days but also the days when you realise that a full on sports car isnt always the best. Then when babies come along and you have to get a Mondeo, you can then do it safely knowing that you have been there and done it and can cope for a little while without it.

matttromans
    Free Member

No worries. The seats don’t quite fold flat in the ‘rado. TBH i’ve never bothered trying just taking the front off, I find it easier to just whip off both wheels to avoid damaging the interior of the car. It’d probably go with enough messing around. I almost always need to get 2 bikes in the back which def requires both wheels off.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

320 litres boot space in the GT, but it can’t take a roof rack in case you ever needed it for a big trip…

Alfa 159 Sportwagen – good compromise of practicality and performance?

stumpy01

I’d be looking at one of these, I think……

nearly bought one, but wimped out as I didn’t think the fuel economy would suit my commute at the time.

Engine tuned to 155bhp, suspension given a going over, wider bodywork to accommodate the suspension changes & fancy alcantara leather seats.

You’d need to take the wheels off to get a bike in.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’d go for a V6 Hyundai Coupe. You’ll pick up a beauty for £5k and the boot is huge with back seats down.

stumpy01

Oooooh, also meant to say. I considered a Ford Cougar for a while.

They depreciated like mad but are decent sized cars, being based on the Mondeo. Plenty of boot space, loads of kit and comes with a decent 2.5 V6.
    When I was looking several years ago you could get the top spec model with all the toys & leather seats with the V6 engine for £5k, when at the same time you’d have struggled to get a 1.6 Fiesta Zetec-S for the same money!

Again – fuel consumption rained on my party & I ended up with a diesel Ibiza….

ijs445ra
    Free Member

DC2 – Of the cars i have owned it is the only one i miss, it was awesome! Fits two bikes with the seats down. Great to drive and was pretty reliable and reasonable to run.

DC5 – Import only but more power and interiors are much nicer than DC2s. Prices have dropped a fair bit of late but may still be just above £5k budget.

I would have another Integra in a second

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Both the TT (new model anyway) and the Puma will take a bike with both wheels off. I have done a weekend at SSMM with one passenger, two bikes and all the kit in the Puma.

And if you don’t like the TT, take a drive in one and change your mind – a wonderful car to drive.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

TT will take a bike, not sure if it’ll take one without removing the rear wheel though as the hatch is fairly small. Build quality is very good, but they’re fairly dull to drive (IMO)

I assume you mean the mk1 model then? The current model is a wonder to drive. Mine goes back in 4 weeks 🙁

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

They depreciated like mad but are decent sized cars, being based on the Mondeo. Plenty of boot space, loads of kit and comes with a decent 2.5 V6.

For the same age, the Vauxhall Calibre had a much nicer V6 option – made the Ford one sound and perform quite disappointingly by comparison.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Calibre

Sorry, but 😆

5lab

i briefly considered a cougar, but I’ve put in 6 years\60,000 miles in a mondeo of the same era, which, despite being absolutely faultless, means i’m bored sick and need a change.

due to an old saint rear end, which is a real faff to get wheels on/off from (essentially the rear mech bolts off when you take the wheel off, and its a royal pain in the arse to get it all back into place when you’ve only got 2 hands), I’m keen on not getting something thats a lot of faff to get a bike in. I ran the mx5 and the mondeo for 18 months, and found the mx5 only did 7,000 miles in that time (compared to double that in the mondeo) purely because the only times I ever go away are for biking and surfing (I don’t have a daily commute, and if I go away with the misses she hates going fast\sideways, kinda defeating the point of the mx5).

I’d love to get something as compromised as possible, but getting the bike in, or on a towbar mount, is a must.

The FRP above is an interesting option, and very well regarded, but I’m not sure I could stomach the 400% premium over a regular puma…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Calibre
    Sorry, but

Seriously – having driven both V6 cars, the Calibre is the better engine by far. Agreed the Cougar looks better, but the *engine* is better in the Vauxhall.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Agreed the Cougar looks better, but the *engine* is better in the Vauxhall.”

Does it matter when they are both crap to drive?

BadlyWiredDog

Obviously I don’t get 2 bikes and 2 people in the back of the ‘rado! You know what I mean though.

Phew, I was beginning to think I was doing something horribly wrong there. Corrado boots are pretty big, shame the back seats don’t fold properly flat though.

Oh, and a well-sorted VR6 will drive really nicely and make an addictive noise, but parts can be expensive and hard to find.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s CalibrA

…isn’t it?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Does it matter when they are both crap to drive?

I would rather have an engine that *sounds* like a V6 even if they do both handle like bags of spanners. The Ford always sounded ‘thrashy’ in comparison (which is odd as Vauxhalls generally sound more thrashy than Fords).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Anyway…only teasing m_f 😛

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No worries – I have never owned either but my brother (Cougar) and best mate had them years back – just giving my opinion 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jeez…I’m teasing you for calling it a Calibre!

messiah
    Free Member

I loved my Rado G60… easy get a normal bike in with only one wheel removed – slide passanger seat forward and bend it in. To fit 2plus2 both wheels will need to be off.

I went from this to an Audi S2 Avant… three bikes, three people… 140mph 😈 An Audi coupe S2 is a bit of pain because of how the boot opens and the upright spare wheel.

I’d also like a coupe that can fit my bike inside as I sometimes have to leave it parked on the street when I am at work.

If only…

CountZero

If your thinking Puma, just go for the Fiesta 1.6 instead and which will have more room, be cheaper and drives almost the same. I never got the Puma myself just a Fiesta with a different body on top and a ally gear stick woopee.

As you obviously know little about the Puma you are hardly qualified to make any kind of judgement about it.
    The Puma was based on the Fiesta floorpan, but the suspension was extensively tweaked, the top end one had a specially developed Zetec engine by Yamaha, using Nicasyl plasma coated bores. The Racing Puma was entirely hand built by Tickford, with the engine up to 155 bhp from 129. A bloke down the road from me has one putting out 200bhp and has taken it round the Neurburgring. There is a Fiesta which shares the 1.7 Zetec engine, the Zetec S, which has a stainless mesh grill. Yamaha produced 100,000 engines for the Puma, and 60,000 were built with a small run of the Fiesta S. I loved my little Cat, insane fun to drive, very comfortable on long drives, (I’m 6′), just handles really well on twisty A-roads. The rear is a bit tight for getting a bike in, rear seats down and both wheels off, with a rag around the fork dropouts to prevent paint damage. You can pick up good Pumas for relatively little, £1500-2k, and driving one will genuinely put a grin on your face. Honestly, if the money became available again, the first thing I’d do is track down another Puma, and a Racing one this time.

matttromans
    Free Member

Messiah’s probably right, with passenger seat slid forward a bike would get in there with only the front wheel off, esp if you took the seatpost out. 2+2 with both wheels off and space for weekend kit is possible as well. Love my ‘rado!

5lab

looks like I could get a scrappy dc5 for just over 5k. its a shame they’re import only, as you can get a similar age s2000 for pretty much the same cash (suggesting its the import-onlyness keeping the prices up).

anyone tried to fit things into the full-fledged coupes (ie supra, 300zx, camaro)? they’d probably be less nimble than the fwd offerings, but a chunk quicker, and more interesting engines

stumpy01

M-F, pretty sure the teasing was for the Calibre/Calibra error you made.

🙂

Anyway – the Calibra was more Ford Probe era, than Cougar. The Cougar came out in 1998, same year as the Calibra was sacked off. Sure you’re not comparing the Calibra to the Probe which was also availale with a 2.5 V6??

The Cougar was based on the Mondeo, so I thought handling was one of it’s strong points?? I’ve driven a Mondeo with the same engine & that was great fun.
    Not driven a Calibre or a Calibra to compare though? 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Isn’t there a Dodge Calibre?

EDIT: No, it’s a Caliber…maybe m_f really likes those… 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘what coupe for bike in the boot?’ is closed to new replies.