Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What could be squeaking?
  • PJay
    Free Member

I'm having no luck tracking down a squeak that appears to be coming from the rear of my bike (although I appreciate that pointing noises on a bike can be difficult). The squeak has transfered to a new frame along with the old kit (the bottom bracket is new).

The squeak isn't particularly loud or alarming, but I'd like to get it sorted. It's intermitted but seems to occur at relatively low cadences (possibly when pushing down on the non-driveside pedal). Pushing harder on the pedals has the odd effect of appearing to make it vanish.

To date I've tightened the non-driveside crank, removed the non-driveside pedal and cleaned and re-greased the threads, removed the cassette and re-greased the freehub splines, checked for loose spokes and removed the spacers on the hub and greased under them – all with no success.

So, what next, could it be a bent axle or the bearings on the way out?

adam5555

What type of pedals are you using?

PJay
    Free Member

Shimano MX30 flats

cynic-al
    Free Member

Chainring bolts. Other pedal.

Stevie-P
    Free Member

Saddle rails, seat post… what hubs are you running? You've greased the axle spacers / locking nuts but have you serviced the actual hub / bearings?

Leigh
    Free Member

mine was my chainring bolts

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Another here for saddle rails. Did you move saddle and seatpost across to new bike in one?

Onzadog
    Free Member

QR could be a little loose.

PJay
    Free Member

New saddle, old post. I didn't service the bearings (cartridges) but they seem smooth at the moment. The chainring bolts might be worth investigating though.

rubberneck
    Free Member

might need to oil your brakes 😆

bassspine
    Free Member

Ghod, intermittents squeaks are a nightmare…jockey wheels or the pivot on the rear mech maybe.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What could be squeaking?’ is closed to new replies.