Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What cheapish lights
  • geoffj

OK, so the whole magic shine, dx, bastid, cheap deal extreme shenanigans has passed me by, but I’d like a new bar mounted light for a bit of evening pootling.

Can someone please point me in the directions of what to consider?

Ta

derek_starship
    Free Member
    z1ppy

Then try researching it, Dealextreme tag or Magicshine

geoffj

Thanks for that Zippy, but I’m not just interested in DX or Magicshine lights options – I’m in a bit of a Rumsfeld position.

neninja
    Free Member

Bikeray might be worth a look if you want to avoid DX/Magicshine. They do a 3xXPG light the Ray III which looks pretty decent.

You could do a lot worse that look at the Magicshine MJ872 – hods of power for the price (£89 on Ebay) and it’s not a typical Magicshine as it’s made for them in Korea by Wonderbike.

Both those lights are cheap enough and available from UK suppliers. Plus they are both good bar lights as they give a flood type light.

z1ppy

Geoff, sorry for the blase reply, just I’ve posted the basic info time & time again on any number of those threads (as no one seems able to search) and could do with a personal closed post I could just point to & update ever more! 😉

But lots of those thread don’t only include recommendations for the MS/DX units, lots of other are discussed, so they are worth a butchers through them..

Off-hand from personal experience with the MS/Smudge’s light:

Smudge’s XM-L are fricken bright, loads more throw than the original P7 (not too hard as it was very floody) and more than the 4x XPG MJ872 (throw that is), but it is quite a specific tight spot which can get lost in open area. A great helmet light but still very usable on the bars. Don’t get put off by the report of the hot spot, the light is great but you need to understand it’s just not perfect, we’d be remiss in not mentioning it.

MJ872 – lots of floody light, lighting up everything for a good distance, not as bright anywhere as the XM-L centre spot but very very good. A great bar light, to give you lots of usable light everywhere.

The XM-L is available cheaper from DX than Smudge but you’d have to wait for delivery, the reflector looks very basic (more of a hotspot potential) and you don’t get the great service Mark supplies.
    £89 on ebay for the MJ872 is cheaper than DX sell it, I can’t recommend buying it from them!

geoffj

Thanks Zippy & Ninja – plenty to have a look at there.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got a Smudge XML and it’s great but I got it to use on my helmet and it’s perfect for that application.

derek_starship
    Free Member

You’re welcome 🙄

pete68
    Free Member

I’m also interested in a Helmet light. Have looked at Magicshine. Am interested in these Smudge XML but cannot find them. Has anyone got a link to their page.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Click on my liink “Ace and only £67 posted” ^^^^^

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

see the 2nd post down the page…

z1ppy

Pete, Smudge is Mark of MTB Batteries. Smudge is his STW login (see Dereks link above), hense why he get referred to by that..

pete68
    Free Member

Ok. Didnt realise Smudge is same as MTB Batteries. Thanks.

smudge
    Free Member

Thanks for the mention guys, Sorry ive gone a bit quiet on the forum but I am extremely busy at the minute plus new stock of the XML light arrived yesterday so also catching up with back orders.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

plus new stock of the XML light arrived yesterday

woo hoo!
    😀

dufresneorama
    Free Member

XML light arrived yesterday. Nice quality and is very bright. Can’t wait to get out and test it properly.

Thanks smudge 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What cheapish lights’ is closed to new replies.