• This topic has 21 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by PJay.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What cheap disc brakes (cable/hydraulic)??
  • nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

I bought my sister a very sexual Cube Access SL with Formula Oro brakes. As I’m having them (!), I need to buy her some replacements. She’s only about 9 stone so doesn’t need anything awesome but she will take the bike away with her to Spain so lack of maintenance could be the key.

Can’t really afford to spend more than £100 for both.

I have been thinking of:

Avid BB5
    Hayes El Camino (cheap on CRC)
    Hayes 9s

Any other ideas?

dave_aber
    Free Member

Second hand?

james
    Free Member

Hayes 9 are £100/pair on merlin
    How much are avid juicy 3’s on CRC?

Earl
    Free Member

The Quad hydro’s are £50 an end at GoOutdoors. No experence but that was a good writeup in a mag a wee bit back.

thepodge
    Free Member

I got some Hayes 9s off the classifieds for just under £40 (full bike) i think it was

TimothyD
    Free Member

If you wanted to spend 106 pounds you could get two BB7 brakes from Evans Cycles,but i don’t know if they charge for postage if you spend over a certain amount or not. I quite like my BB7 brakes,and I weight 12 stone,that’s with using full metal jacket outers though,but they might not be needed for your sister. If you could spend about 130 pounds that would cover the full metal jacket outers though.

jaycmx1
    Free Member

got some hayes stroker trail with rotors and everythig you will need for 100 posted.better than the 9’s by far

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Hayes stroker trail with rotors for £100? Where are these?!

dmiller
    Free Member

interesting…

I would avoid hydro’s for your sis – service will be a faff.

I have a front cable XT on the commuter – its not let me down. Unlike my juicy threes…

markenduro
    Free Member

These should fit the bill and will be no maintenance.

dmiller
    Free Member
    Vortexracing

Got some Hayes sole discs brakes rear as new, front is new, 160mm rotors inc bolts etc. Some bloke claimed he was having them but hasn’t paid yet

yours for £45 posted.

e mail in profile

Ta

Dave

thomthumb
    Free Member

deore. £50 each. ace.

jaycmx1
    Free Member

nutty squirrel there mine second hand for sale.should have said 🙂

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Sorry for the late reply here, been a bit busy (on the bike, honest!). Went for dmiller’s suggestion in the end. Thanks bud. All comments were appreciated, as always.

ahwiles
    Free Member

edit – wrong post, nothing to see here…

richc
    Free Member

£20 quid over budget, but I would have considered these:

Shimano SLX

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28021

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Deore, end of.

igm

My juicy 3s have been as good if not better than my juicy 7s – bought secondhand for £60 the pair and you should still be able to get similar deals to that.

wors

M545 cable disc brakes.

jonb
    Free Member

There were some hayes 9 on CRC for £35 an end.

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of LXs from Merlin for £105 and they’re great brakes. Unfortunately I think that they’ve upped the price of the 6 bolt option, if she’s got Centerlock hubs though it’ll still be £105. 180mm on the front might be unnecessary at 9 stone though.

— Edit —
    And I’ve just noticed that they’re sold out.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘What cheap disc brakes (cable/hydraulic)??’ is closed to new replies.