Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What chain? For a Stihl?
  • Ambrose

After advice from various of you I purchased a Stihl MS 171 last year. It’s been great. Foraging, cutting and splitting wood is really such a satisfying thing. The chain has been sharpened several times now and really needs replacing- any suggestions?

Ebay suggests that I can get hold of them from £5:70 all the way up to lots of money. Is buying an aftermarket chain a good or bad idea?

beamers

Fathers day is obviously a popular day for asking such a question:

clicky.

Waderider
    Free Member

The chain has wear indicators on the cutters that show when it needs replaced. Sharpening “several times” shall not lead to a chain needing replaced unless you’ve gone mad with the file each time.

Alternatively if you are dead set on replacing your old chain just post it to me and I’ll ensure it doesn’t go to waste!

shortyj15

Just go into a shop and buy a suitable STIHL one, for the little amount you cut it’s not worth skimping on chains.

Ambrose

Email me your address.

Nipper99
    Free Member

I think these bods are near you Ambrose – get a decent Oregon chain.

http://www.dwilliamsandson.com/

geoffj

Blind stick insect on eBay is who I use for chains.
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/blindstickinsect/m.html

Ambrose

Cheers for that everyone.

richmars

As Waderider, surprised you need a new chain after a year. Do you use it that much?
    If you do, just get another Stihl. I wouldn’t skimp on chainsaw chains.

timbur
    Free Member

Beamers- newsawchains in Dorset is very good for Oregon stuff. Remember the 10degree upsweep for sharpening compared to Stihl (I think that still stands true doesn’t it?)

Blindstickinsect on eBay is also good. I’ve got some archer chains which have been incredible value for money.

All my bars are Stihl though.

Tim

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you’re wondering what type of chain to go for, I use a Stihl RSC (Rapid Super Comfort) it is a full chisel non safety chain, very aggressive and fast cutting – likes to be given a tickle with the sharpening file fairly regularly.

beamers

I use a Stihl RSC (Rapid Super Comfort) it is a full chisel non safety chain, very aggressive and fast cutting.

I like the sound of that.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Blind stick insect here too, stoner recommended them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What chain? For a Stihl?’ is closed to new replies.