Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What car seat?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Bit of a pickle here – daughter is almost 5 but stick thin (only 13kg). She wants the next seat up because all her friends have them. But at 2kg under the limit for using the car belt (rather than a 5 point harness car seat) she ‘should’ use a stage 1 seat. However she is too tall for the seat she has and we have been advised it isn’t safe,

So… What next seat for a skinny child? Why *is* there a 15kg limit? Seen some isofix ones (massive premium) or just a simple seat? Or keep her in a stage 1 that isn’t safe anyway? Or buy a 5 point stage 2 that she won’t want?

garage-dweller

Feed her one of my pasta dinners that and a bit of river cottage recipe chocolate cake should get her over the 15kg!

In your shoes I think we would have gone for physical fit over reading the weight limits BUT THIS IS NEITHER SUGGESTION OR RECOMMENDATION! Never been in this position directly so thankfully not needed to make the call.

I cannot recall the rules but where does the 15kg limit come from is it law or seat specification?

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s not a law – just recommendation. But wouldn’t want to put her at risk if it *does* make an appreciable difference…

garage-dweller

2 more things to consider the driver can get fined and points for wrong seat or fitting and you must be sure what ever you choose you are comfortable with the risks one way or another that you are taking. This latter thing is something only you the parents can judge.

Tried speaking to a seat fitter at mother care? They used to be very knowledgeable.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yes – just been there today and they said isofix but couldn’t really explain why it is safer than an unfixed seat – given the unfixed seat can’t go anywhere anyway as the seatbelt would stop it…

garage-dweller

I always think/suspect the weight thing is used as a proxy for the child’s strength but got no evidence to back that up (might also be padding to protect them).

So if she is a ‘floppy’ 13kg in your shoes I would probably err on the five point option or start developing a chocolate lard and pork belly pasta dish.

johndoh
    Free Member

Not floppy! A very strong, athletic and gymnastic thing…

johndoh
    Free Member

Bump for a new day…

backinireland
    Free Member

Could it be that the weight limit is the weight required to make sure the seat belt locks?

That’s just a guess btw

backinireland
    Free Member

Just had a look there and it appears legislation is changing
    New standard is called I size

johndoh
    Free Member

Don’t see why you need weight to make the seat lock – current seat is held by the belt, what stops that other than the weight of the child? And pull one quickly and it operates anyway…

smurfly13
    Free Member

Pretty sure the 15kg is a guideline as they have been designed for and tested with 15kg crash test dummies.

I can imagine they are safer for lighter children (opinion not a professional!) but don’t sell as that as the market is group 2 seat size….. As not officially been tested they couldn’t sell for lower limits by law….

On another note don’t they do group 1,2,3 combined? Britax Evolve or something that could be safe as changes between groups?

TiRed

Britax Super Cruiser was the best car seat we ever had. Polystyrene bucket seat that used the normal seatbelt, with a head rest that slid down to the right position for the infant/child. I have no idea why they stopped making them, but they beat those five point harness seats hands down. See if you can source one. We bough ours new, then a few used for my (10) nephews and nieces. Being very light, you can switch them between cars with ease. SHould be just what you arfe looking for, prior to a bolster seat.

johndoh
    Free Member

Smurf – issue we are having is that she doesn’t want a 5 point harness when all her friends have moved on – those combined ones all have 5 point I think?

tinybits
    Free Member

Does a certain load need to be applied to a seatbelt prior to the lock out happening? If it does, a light child may not do it I suppose, otherwise, I’d go for height over weight as guidance.

johndoh
    Free Member

As above, previous seat is held by car seatbelt (just then just a 5 point harness in the seat) so weight can’t be an argument…

freeagent
    Free Member

Britax Adventure. Currently on special at Argos for £40.
    We’ve had one for a couple of years and its been great.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What car seat?’ is closed to new replies.