Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What Canoe / Kayak?
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

Having just read the ‘River rights of way’ thread it got me thinking about going for a paddle on the river near to our house. It’s the River Windrush, a tributary of the Thames (if it matters). What will I need in order to get started (ie. What sort of canoe / kayak etc) and how much will it cost (I don’t want to spend too much)? Thanks.

iDave
    Free Member

*awaits replies with interest*

jam-bo
    matt_outandabout

Go over to ‘song of the paddle’ forum and have a wee nosey.

May be worth hiring / trying first before you head down the kayak or canoe or inflatable route.

FWIW, canoes tend to be more versatile than kayaks, but kayaks lighter/smaller in general.
    Inflatables = pack em in a bag, but poor overall performance generally.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Depends what your longer term ambitions are:

Do you want to potter around with a friend, partner,kids, dog etc. Then you might be best suited to a canoe. Enough room for two people and a fair amount of luggage.

Fancy doing trips out by yourself, more exploration than exhilaration then maybe a a touring kayak would be your thing. They’re enclosed but tend to be longer/narrower making them better for longer trips.

Do you think you’d eventually like to move towards white water paddling. There is limited opportunity for this in your area but a lot of people do use the weirs as play spots. Then you’d be looking at a shorter/fatter boat.

You really need to decide what sort of paddling you fancy doing.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Kayak vs canoe is a bit like (note “bit”) road vs mtb.

I love time in both but prefer kayaking myself for fun, canoes are a more mellow way to spend your time…until you get good and can start attacking the same water as kayakers!

Kayaks are convenient; smaller, easier to handle by yourself, easier to store.

Canoes are practical for trips away as they take big loads and more than one person. More comfy for long paddling as you can shift around in them, reach your packed lunch, pour tea out of your flask…

I got a slightly older playboat (Pyranha sub 7)with a composite paddle for £250 in my local classifieds!

Have a look to see if there’s a club you can join locally, many of them have boats for use by the members so you won’t need to buy one. This will also put you in touch with other paddlers!

Doing my level 1 coach in a couple of weeks, then joining my local club to sharpen my skills.

Check out the BCU here for more info from the national governing body.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ve had a look about and have seen a few sit-on-top Kayaks, which seem to be a good all-round starter, which I can also take to the beach for a bit of fun. Am I right in thinking this?

HermanShake
    Free Member

Spot on, easy to right if you go over as they’re sealed so can’t swamp. You don’t need a spray deck, but could get some knee straps when you get more confident with the boat for better power transfer.

They’re good for stress free playing in the sea and popular with good reason.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

In general I’d agree with HS above with one word of caution. I find that I get a sore back whenever I’ve used a sit on top for more than about 45 minutes. Never had an issue in an enclosed kayak or canadian canoe and have done all day/ multi day trips in those.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

hmmmm, hate to say but for pure leisure a sit on jobbie.

had a perception carolina, touring kayak, loved it. but the issue if i went over and could’nt roll it was a concern.

had a mad river 16 canoe, loved it. big old thing to transport though.

bought my father in law an ocean kayak prowler (sit on jobbie) a few years back and its a great boat for utter ease of use.

nitrambocg

I agree with muppetWrangler. I have always been fine with enclosed Kayaks and Canoes, but the sit-on type send my back into spasm in 30 mins or so.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Dare I say it but I bought a Sevylor inflatable Kayak which is a sit on top about 2 seasons ago. For me, purely as a ‘play’ thing it is great fun in the surf and keeping myself entertained at the beach for an hour max (at one go). It is hard work going any distance on it but with a bit of wave it is great fun going out and back in over the surf. I am looking into fishing off the side of it to make it a bit more interesting when there is no surf. Also my in-laws live by the sea most weekends so we end up spending a lot of time at the beach and it gives me an excuse for some piece and quiet!!

It packs down into the size of a large suitcase plus the pump and paddles (mine join in the middle).

You can get some great starter packs that include a lot of the extras that are often missed when buying your first.

druidh
    Free Member

If you’re uncomfortable on a sit-on it’s probably because you have
    (a) no backrest
    (b)a rubbish backrest
    (c)a poorly fitted backrest

This is my favourite at the moment

21/04/2010 by druidh_dubh, on Flickr

project
    Free Member

Had 3 in my time, a blue, Pyranaha, got it cheaper because the gel coat on the resin hadnt taken,absolutely no problem with it, sold it and bought a river racer, very unstable, but oh so fast, and looked cool, small rudde you steered with your feet on the rear, and finnally a big yellow blow moulded open top one, really stable and fun, great in the sea.

Dont forget a set of paddles, and a life jacket and always wear it, it saved my life once, as i cant swim.

Also it builds up your upper body fantasticly, and you dont feel the cold, -4 in decemeber on a river with just moonlight wearing a t shirt, absolute ly great.

mr-brightside
    Free Member

i get a bit of backache on mine after an hour or so but thats just a good exuse to find a little bit of your own beach to explore or even cook up the odd fish you catch on the way. ive had my little sit on top for about 5 years its got to be one of the best toys ive bought,

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If you’re uncomfortable on a sit-on it’s probably because you have
    (a) no backrest
    (b)a rubbish backrest

Makes sense, I’ve not owned a sit on top so only have experience of rentals. I’m sure that having your own set up to suit would solve the backache issue.

pixie3578
    Free Member

If you want something for a bit of a laugh and some storage space an old europa or perception dancer were the training kayack’s of 15+ years ago but they’re plastic and last forever. You’ll find these coming up from time to time for a lot less than £100 and you can abuse them as much as you like, if you want to you can store stuff in the rear if you fancy an evening camping by the river they just handle really bad when heavy. Just to rub it in I was given a dancer on freecycle (nothing to do with bikes) just a couple of weeks ago loads of scratches but watertight, this has added to our kayak collection of an old fiber glass sieve type thing and a pyranna master. good luck with whatever you get:-D

pixie3578
    Free Member

As for the Kyack vs Canoe is like Road vs MTB yes I agree it very similar it’s MTB and Kyacks all the way no contest 😆

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Which ever one you get make sure it is well insulated if you plan to use it in this country. They can get very cold and you can’t have your kayak and heat it.

aracer
    Free Member

If you’re uncomfortable on a sit-on it’s probably because you they have
    (a) no backrest
    (b)a rubbish backrest

(d)a rubbish seating position

FTFY

I get on just fine in all sorts of different normal kayaks without any backrest at all. The problem with SOTs tends to be that your feet aren’t right on the bottom as in a normal kayak due to the need for some thickness there for structural strength, meanwhile the seat tends to be rather low because they’re aimed at beginners who want to be as stable as possible. The solution I’ve normally used with a SOT is a seat pad to raise my bottom above my feet, and allow a normal back position – backrests are horrible things IMHO (especially big ones as pictured) as they rub if you’re using anything like proper paddling technique involving body rotation. But then I guess most people with SOTs are pootling and not that bothered about technique – I can see why backrests are popular with them.

As for the OP’s question, can I suggest the best way to get started is to go along to your local club and get some instruction?

cbike
    Free Member

You get them with pedals too.

me

JEngledow
    Free Member

can I suggest the best way to get started is to go along to your local club and get some instruction?

Yes you can, I think that’s my next step. I’ve also looked at hiring canoes, but the cost is stupid!

Thanks.

willard

Jam bo,

Look out for a mail about your kayak…

29erKeith
    Free Member
    colonelwax
    Free Member

Anyone used an inflatable kayak/sit on top?
    I live near a canal so really want something cheap for a bit of pottering and possible overnight camping. Will keep my eye out for something like a cheapo dancer.

I quite like the idea of a packraft or inflatable though as I’d like to carry it to the canal and set off. Also I don’t drive so being portable is a plus. Something like this.

rewski
    Free Member

I’m loving my perception gemini, ideal for river and sea, recommend the back supports for comfort.

swiss01
    Free Member

if you’re thinking about going down the inflatable route i’d look at adavanced elements. i have mates who have sevylors and while they rate them, mine’s is vastly superior. the only pain with them is getting them dried out properly.

that said i may get a double for me and mrs swiss for the rare dates she’s up for on the water shenanigans. check them out here http://www.advancedelementskayaks.co.uk/

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I have this for sale if its any use to you

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-ot-kayak-accessories

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks davidtaylforth, that looks like a great deal, but I think I’m a little over the Max Paddler Weight 🙁

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What Canoe / Kayak?’ is closed to new replies.