Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What can I do to use more electricity???
  • timbur
    Free Member

It would appear that my PV panels are turning the meter backwards by around 8-10 digits per day (minus 70 in under a month since the last reading even though we’ve been using it as well)
    Nice as it is I’m sure after the next reading the leccy company will be quick to change our meter.
    Maybe time for an extention lead to the neighbours!
    Anyone got an electric car they want to charge for free :O)
    Do you think I could get paid for them by the leccy company when they change the meter? I clearly havent been tampering with it.
    Tim

andyl
    Free Member

are you not on a feed in tariff?

timbur
    Free Member

Indeed. I have a Generation Meter as well, but the main meter to the house is an old dial one that turns backwards. Some do, some don’t.
    They’ll change it soon no doubt.

meehaja
    Free Member

Charge up banks of car batteries, then strap them all to a cargo bike and run a massive sound system.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Grow cannabis and make lots of money?

jon1973
    Free Member

how much did it all cost to install?

Stoner
    Free Member

12v immersion heater. Wang it in the bottom of your hot water cylinder, and run surplus juice into your hot water storage. Saves you 15p/kWh on your 240v drawings or, 6p/kWh on oil.
    No losses at 12v as it comes out before your inverter.

Or, use a timer switch to run it through your normal 240v one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-Volt-WATER-HEATER-IMMERSION-ELEMENT-solar-wind-12V-V-/120316627188?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item1c036e08f4#ht_3473wt_1139

pjm84
    Free Member

Old meter will go backwards. Bonus! I have a new digital meter so it doesn’t and the electricity company takes all the surplus.

Immersion heater element and then use less gas! Assuming you have a gas fired CH / HW

antigee

i’ll send the kids round to leave all the lights on

timbur
    Free Member

Immersion on and spinning the dial nicely! T%hought of that yesterday after a couple of beers :O)
    Not great for water consumption as we’ve got a big bath and a leccy shower.
    Can’t rememember the cost but well worth it. £8/9k if I had to guess. Payback of 14-5 years with another 10 years guaranteed at the FIT rates.
    Tim

timbur
    Free Member

Kids welcome if they are tidy.
    Would love to find someone with an electric car to charge.
    Tim

pjm84
    Free Member

Reckon 5yr for my installation. In 2 months I’ve generated 715kwh of power and save about a 1/3rd on my electricity bill.

timbur
    Free Member

Good work. I assume thats a big set up? 4-5 months and we’re in for 600kwh with 8 panels IIRC.

oldnpastit

Just under 700kWh since mid-March on a 4kW system. When I’ve finished fixing my bikes I need to put the immersion heater on a timer and get something to record the electricity generated.

pjm84
    Free Member

3.99kw/h peak system. Around 27m2 of panels.

Next phase is to save on diesel so looking at a little Citroen Nemo.

derekrides
    Free Member

I’ll sell you the bread knife, she’ll make sure not a day or an hour goes by that every light bulb and appliance in the house (that doesn’t make noise to annoy here) is left on, day and night.

CaptJon
    Free Member

host servers for an ISP

oldnpastit

[Mid-Feb of course.]

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What can I do to use more electricity???’ is closed to new replies.