Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What camera do you take with you when riding
  • yetiguy
    Free Member

I carry my cannon G9, which is a great camera, great pics and video, and is fine when using a camelback, but i am also a roadie and need something a bit slimmer for my back pocket on my Jersey.

Basically looking for the best picture and video quality in the smallest body.

What do you all use.

lodious
    Free Member

Canon S90?

nickjb
    Free Member

Lumix LX3

amodicumofgnar

Ricoh GR1v or sometimes Ricoh G600 and very rarely Nikon D200 with 18-200zoom.

DT78
    Free Member

Used to be a pentax wpi (waterproof & shockproof) for short pocket when biking. Got bought a replacement olympus mju by the missus for the birthday. Think the pentax took better pictures tbh but it's up for sale if your interested – missus would be offended if I got rid of the pressie!

epicyclo

Olympus Mu – waterproof so can be kept close to hand.

Take many more photos with it these days than with my somewhat more bling DSLR.

Although I was thinking of taking my Fuji GX680 out for a trot when the weather improves.

Bez

Ricoh GR Digital (2) here (examples). Slim, and you won't get better quality nor better usability in a compact. Living with a 28mm prime will either float your boat or sink it, of course.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have a big clumsy Lumix 18x zoom bridge camera, takes good photos, but I would recommend anyone should buy a little point and press to stick in their pocket. I often wonder how sfb manages to take so many photos, or rather, bothers to take so many photos. I oftern can't be arsed digging out the big camera.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Ricoh GX100

Great camera in good light. Very usable and flexible and not too bulky. Only downside is the low-light performance…

Not seen anything yet which would be a significant improvement without going down the Micro 4/3 route.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Nikon D300 / 18-200 VR Nikkor

Bez

Nikon D300 / 18-200 VR Nikkor

Did you read the original post?

Oh – and forgot to mention, Ricohs are pants for video. If that's important take a look at the Panasonic TZ10.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Did you read the original post? Bez

Yes, he did, he said "what do you all use.". I think the missing ? was a mistake, but the question was clear. I use a 20D, or an A720IS. Neither is slim though.

CountZero

I think SfB is of the opinion that if you're serious about taking photos when you're out riding you should use a serious camera. Me, I think it's the most convenient camera, and the one that seems to get the nod from a lot of people is the Lumix LX3. I use a Lumix TZ3, which I stick in a Timbuktoo mobile pouch attached to my camelback strap with an Animal lanyard round my neck for security. Great little camera, and the zoom range is fantastic. If I had to replace it it would be with the latest TZ, no question. I also use my iPhone for quick snaps, which will improve when I get a 4G.

Bez

he said "what do you all use.". I think the missing ? was a mistake, but the question was clear

I can't argue with the spectacular pedantry there but I can't help feeling that the preceding two paragraphs just might have been included to contextualise that question. Otherwise "a Reach Interdental with a green handle" would be an entirely valid answer, cos I use one of those. It's a more helpful answer than Simon's, too, because you can at least fit a toothbrush in a jersey pocket.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I use one of these. Waterproof, shockproof, slim, and takes HD video. Pretty much perfect for MTBing I reckon…

Panasonic Lumix FT1

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think SfB is of the opinion that if you're serious about taking photos when you're out riding you should use a serious camera.

I'm not sure seriousness comes into it. This is the camera I carry round with me all the time. I tried smaller ones but unfortunately they didn't cut the mustard – the disadvantage of using a really good camera is that it can be hard to downgrade or accept less. Yes it's a heavy lump, but after several years I'm used to it, and I only really notice the lack of weight if I don't have it 🙂 I reckon I'll get a GF1 when I can buy one for around £300, but I wouldn't use it for biking.

user-removed
    Free Member

I wish I had a Canon G anything for riding with. As it is, I usually take a D300, SB-800 (flash) and usually a tiny light stand… If I'm really travelling light I'll sometimes take my wee Pentax Optio which does great video but has limited manual / TV / AV functions.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I can't argue with the spectacular pedantry there but I can't help feeling that the preceding two paragraphs just might have been included to contextualise that question.

But it wouldn't have been half as fun if I hadn't followed the pedants route, and since I don't see the point of lower qual images and smaller cameras (if it's worth shooting, its worth doing well) my answer would have been something around the G9 solution, which he already poopoo'd!

grumm
    Free Member

I take my GF1 with 20mm lens – it's great.

I reckon I'll get a GF1 when I can buy one for around £300

Don't think that's going to happen any time soon, if at all.

I'd probably look at the S90 if I wanted something really small though.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Crikey I wouldn't fancy hoiking around my 40D on bike rides, what a faff. If the pictures are more important than the riding maybe, but I'll stick to quick and portable and compromise on image quality.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Crikey I wouldn't fancy hoiking around my 40D on bike rides, what a faff.

Faff? Just goes in the camelback.

yetiguy
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, G9 is pretty much perfect for mtbing, shoots raw, has a "proper " manual mode etc, but its just a bit too big for sticking in the back of a skin tight lycra roadie type paint on jersey.

Murray

Nokia N95 8Gb. It's always in my pocket, the quality is acceptable for happy snaps and if I'm riding I'm usually thinking about riding 🙂

rickmeister

Lumix TZ5 for me. leica lens, 10 x Optical zoom and a metal body…

rOcKeTdOg

canon ixus 120is
    all these taken with it
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rocketdog/sets/72157622985285539/

you have to be careful if you keep it in your pocket though as it doesn't like lots of dust (it's great to say that isn't it??)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Don't think that's going to happen any time soon, if at all.

second hand 🙂 There are bound to be fashionistas that move on…

stevemakin

G9 user here, good compromise for MTbing and not doing a proper photo shoot (DSLR then)but like you I want something slimmer for the road bike rides, almost certainly will get an S90 for that.

IA

"I reckon I'll get a GF1 when I can buy one for around £300"

Just got myself a G1 for £330, which isn't much bigger in real terms than a GF1, and a lot nicer to use (IMO).

Currently fashioning a bag for it to take it riding. Basically it's gonna involve a drybag, some carabiners, some cut up karrimat for padding, and clip on the front of my rucsac straps.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I love my G9, take it everywhere with me and don't notice the bulk. If I was getting something thinner though I'd get something like the Panasonic Lumix TZ7 (I think that's the model). My mate has one and the quality of the pictures is really nice, especially if the light is a bit lower.

Ewan
    Free Member

Canon EOS 30D with sigma 17-70 2.8 lense. Not slim and not light, but takes nice photos.

If it's raining a lot I take a little waterproof pentax. But it's pretty sh1te really.

.duncan
    Free Member

I take my Canon S90.. i like it a lot:

all taken on rides

its dropped a lot in price since i bought it and i really recommend it.

grantway
    Free Member

Just bought a Canon G11
    Love it.

Talkemada
    Free Member

SimonFbarnes; is that a special 'BottomCam™'?

theflatboy
    Free Member

how/where do you carry your dslr, simon and others?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Talkemada, being a petite chap, pondered getting something just a weeny bit more 'compact':

yetiguy
    Free Member

tempted by the leica d lux 4

yes i know its a rebadged lx 3 but, damm its sexy

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Lumix LX3 here, when I remember.

If I'm riding anything splendidly serious and nasty where I may come a cropper, I take work's camera, in case I smash it to bits.

Blower
    Free Member

Im with Pedalhead, got A Lumix ft1,well impressed with it.

yetiguy
    Free Member

Would you describe the lx 3 as tough?

aP
    Free Member

I sometimes carry my D-lux 4, other times a minox, tempted by a M8.2.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What camera do you take with you when riding’ is closed to new replies.