Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What budget bicycle GPS?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve been using an old Forerunner to track my rides but the pins that hold the strap on have snapped and it’s a pain having to faff with a bag, plus the battery is a bit tired for longer rides anyway.

So what’s a good GPS computer for say sub £100 (but the less the better)? Not fussed about navigation though I guess something to tell me I’m off track might be handy, just want to track miles to upload to Strava.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Have you already got an Android mobile or a tablet? I currently take my Nexus 7 2013 out with me and it records far better than the Sony Smartwatch 3 I bought for ~£70 a few months back.

Alternatively, maybe look at treating yourself to a new mobile like the Lenovo P2 for ~£210 (while Three have the UK monopoly, which does not last much longer, but they are unlocked by default), the battery life is so big that a ride of a few hours is not going to leave you without power to make a call.

My Sony Smartwatch 3 has behaved a lot better since a factory reset after it got all the system updates, it tends not to lose GPS altogether very often now, but it can lose accuracy a little while using the watch’s standalone GPS. If you have a mobile it can hook up to, it could be perfect for you.

flyingmonkeycorps

I was thinking something dedicated I can stick on my bars to be honest, having to set Strava going on my phone then stick it in my bag is a right faff on the commute. I was looking at stuff like the Garmin Edge 200 but that’s getting on a bit and there seems to be a lot of other stuff around.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I was going to suggest the Edge 200 tbh – picked mine up for £40 last year and it’s been fine.

coblck
    Free Member

Some Aldi stores have garmin 200’s for 49.99

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

A used Samsung galaxy phone?

Don’t know if the earlier models offered this but my s5 has a battery that can be easily swapped out and has ant+ compatibility (should you later want to add ant+ speed/ cadence/ heart rate/ power metering to your ensemble)…well, you never know!

And Bluetooth smart compatible to access those functions via a slightly different 2.4ghz protocol.

Don’t know how you’d mount it to your bike.

Me, ive got an sp gadgets phone mount from eBay for £20.

The glass screen protectors can be had for a couple of quid.

I’d recommend some kind of protective case with a lanyard.

First rule of sods law…anything not secured to your handlebars with a lanyard will jettison off at the earliest opportunity.

Slightly above your budget..maybe nearer £130 all in?

redmist
    Free Member

Don’t be tempted by a Lezyne power gps – I was. First one wouldn’t even turn on, sent back. Meanwhile bought a replacement one, and it just wouldn’t pair with sensors. Sent that one back too, bought an Edge instead and no problems!

Bez

For what you’re after, the 200 ticks all the boxes. Anything newer is going to cost you at least twice as much for the same functionality, or three times as much if you want more features.

flyingmonkeycorps

That’s cool, I reckon I’ll hunt down a cheap 200 and take it from there then…

dudeofdoom

I really love my garmin edge 25 that Lidl/Aldi did for 50ish quid bit dear normal price thou but does give a little track.

mechanicaldope

Think someone posted that aldi are about to have another cycle event next week. Maybe worth waiting and seeing what is in that.

risotto
    Free Member

I am extremely happy with my Lezyne Enhanced Super Gps after I was lucky to get rid of my Garmin Edge 1000 – worst piece of tech ever bought!

mattbee

Lezyne if you e no interest in mapping. I use my Macro for ride tracking (Have a Garmin Touring for mapping/navigation if I need it).
    Battery life fantastic, really quick & easy to upload rides. Works fine with my sensors but it does only save one of each type unlike Garmin so a bit of a pain if you use with multiple bikes.

nedrapier

Enhanced AND Super!? 😯 Punchy! 😀

I’m just disappointed it’s not also Pro.

It’s good though, is it?

daern
    Free Member

I am extremely happy with my Lezyne Enhanced Super Gps after I was lucky to get rid of my Garmin Edge 1000 – worst piece of tech ever bought!

I hear this from quite a few people, but mine has been pretty good. It seems that the routing sucks, but I never use this – I tend to follow pre-defined GPX files on the map as I mostly ride off-road.

It’s not perfect, but it’s far from terrible.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

sorry for the hijack. I have a Samsung a5 phone. so there any way to mount this on the bars and use it for GPS with a breadcrumb trail to follow when visiting new trails? thanks!

larkim
    Free Member

First gen Garmin vivoactive watch works really well and mounting on the bars with a cheap decathlon fixing works for me. Ant+ and Bluetooth with smart notifications and even an app dwMap that allows for route mapping and directions.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What budget bicycle GPS?’ is closed to new replies.