Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • what broadband provider
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Costs seem to have shot up dramatically since i last looked ….

Looking for a 12 month contract at most (rented flat and we are only looking to be around for 12 months)

Looking for about 10gb usage a month

Looking for non bananas costings.

They all seem to want to give me wireless modems or free modems ( i have all this )

I just want the god damn internet ….oh and without paying 60 quid in set up fees for them to do very little.

SKy looked like a winner till they wanted 60 quid set up fee and were only giving 2 gb of data transfer a month ….

Any suggestions ?

Drac

http://adsl24.co.uk/

I use them they are excellent.

spooky_b329

Well BT have just announced they are increasing their broadband up to 20mb (actually 24mb but as most people won't get this they are playing fair and quoting the 'average' figure of 20mb. No doubt the other providers will follow suit shortly.

I currently get 7.5mb out of 8mb so fingers crossed for super duper fast speeds in a month or two 🙂

Drac

Well BT have just announced they are increasing their broadband up to 20mb

Just as in a year ago and been rolling out since then?

ebygomm
    Free Member

I've had great service from O2 for the past year

Discount if you're a mobile customer

trail_rat
    Free Member

im outside an o2 service area – rediculous as im in aberdeen – not exactly rural … other wise they were a surefire winner at 7.50 a month ….

best they can offer is o2 access for 17.50 a month

adsl 24 is going to cost 18 quid or so a month

Dont need super fast speed dont want to download videos and music (alot)- but will have 2 pcs on the line and dont want to end up having to pay through the nose once ive gone over 2gb – which i will….

dan1980
    Free Member

Would recommend Demon. Never had any problems with them.

Tried cheaper options on the request of my Girlfriend. Even she agrees that paying a bit more is worth the extra now.

Drac

Ah right so you want he crappiest cheapest provider there is.

trail_rat
    Free Member

demon doesnt look too bad in the grand scheme of things – know they are good and they are uncapped subject to a fair usage policy ….

aP
    Free Member

Zen give you 5Gb a month and you can top up if necessary.
    They seem quite reliable and no nonsense.

trail_rat
    Free Member

drac not cheapest crappiest but i resent paying more than i am at the moment for lesser service.

Orange FYI are charging us 12.99 for unlimited(subject to fair usage) 8meg with a livebox – obviously on an old contract…..which i cant transfer

If i wanted crap service id go with tiscali or talk talk – ive experianced them several times at work and in the end we changed to orange and been happy….

uplink
    Free Member

Do you live in a cable area?

NTL may be an option – free TV channels too

trail_rat
    Free Member

not in a cable area uplink – cheers though

jockhaggis
    Free Member

BT are OK if you don't need any assistance and nothing goes wrong.

If you do need assistance or something goes wrong they are absolute s***e.

Sorry, not much help really.

alexxx
    Free Member

zen broadband are the best in the land – fast – on it and 1 month contracts and really nice help people, but you pay for it £24 for 20gb cap 8mb speed. so probobly comes in your budget – no setup fee's and no free junk!

virgin are actually pretty damn good now ive just moved to them after 3years with zen because im going over my 20gb limit and virgin offer phone, line rental, unlimited upto 20mb connection for £15 cheaper than our phone / net and line rental deal at the mo.

saleem
    Free Member

Do not go with BT whatever you do as they are the worst,I spent two days on the phone to an Indian call centre until I went mad and at that point they put me through to someone who spoke english, at that point I paid off the remainder of my contract (8 months).I then changed so I could speak with someone fluent in our native tongue if anything went wrong, been with sky now for 2 years with out any problems

trail_rat
    Free Member

I feel for you on the speaking to uk people saleem – talk talk and tiscali are exactly the same – and kept trying to put me round in circles till i got bored and told them what i thought of them and that id be canceling my contract effective as of now invoking the right to do so because they could not provide the service – oddly it started working again the next day after not having worked for 3 weeks and numerous phonecalls.

Im well aware that cheapest is not always best . I may investigate sky again but im loathe to pay a set up fee which is obviously just to cover the cost of a wireless box when i already have 2 ! (ok ones a live box but the others a belkin i had for years before that !)

saleem
    Free Member

Just phoned sky and got it reduced to £10 a month again and free line rental for a year which has just saved £132 which we had been paying BT and that's not even to mention it was a wee scottish woman that spoke the clearest english, thank the lord for gods country

spooky_b329

Drac – Member

Well BT have just announced they are increasing their broadband up to 20mb

Just as in a year ago and been rolling out since then?

Possibly? 🙂

I just checked and they were announcing that they are expanding 20mb as currently its only available in 40% of the country, but still subject to availability in your area. Slightly miss-leading email sent to all us Openreach engineers then.

Drac

Some what I've been monitoring it since last year and our exchange is due in the final financial quarter. Early test estimated about 22mb for my phone line can't wait.

trail_rat
    Free Member

well thats crap … internet says i can get skys basic packages …woman on the phone says i can only get sky connect at 17 quid ….

looks like ill be going with 02 and getting a freesat card …. i havnt had a TV for the last 5 years its only the missus that wants it so i wont miss having sky at all …

and the mad part – its cheaper for me to take out a new sky install on sky plus than it is for me to start a contract on my existing equipment…

trail_rat
    Free Member

shower of buggers the lot of them. Apparently i live in the sticks (hardly its bucksburn not strathpeffer! )

O2 it is then

spooky_b329

Trailrat, if you've done without TV that long, could your wife make do with iplayer et al…we plug our lappy into the TV and can watch stuff full screen. Will save you the license fee!

saleem
    Free Member

strathpeffer is a lovely little place, I used to go there to play there team at snooker years ago, connect is what I'm on and I've just got it for a tenner and free line rental

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never had a problem with BT. Had a fault on the line, sorted within 24 hours, you just have to know that the first line of defence on their side is a script reading monkey in a call centre abroad (and I mean monkey in the pay-peanuts-get-monkeys type, not the racist type!) and that if you know what you're talking about they'll accept it's not your fault and move on to the other tests they should do. Only pay 16 quid for unlimited 8 meg, but thats as an existing customer.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Will save you the license fee!

Wrong! (unless you want to watch everything the day after everyone else)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Trailrat, if you've done without TV that long, could your wife make do with iplayer et al…we plug our lappy into the TV and can watch stuff full screen. Will save you the license fee!

Trust me I cant …… she issued an ultimatem – she wants a telly for all the times i dissapear on my bike for hours on end at night ….and the nights i dont come home from work till 10pm – having just gone for a ride from work ….

franksinatra

But you still need a license fee for the TV you are plugging the laptop into…

trail_rat
    Free Member

no you dont ….

you only need the tv licence if its used to recieve a live broadcast ….

Ive had a tv the whole time ive not "had a tv" but only for the DVD player …. not connected to an aerial – not even had one on the house !

trail_rat
    Free Member

anyway if you ignore the tv licence letters long enough they tend to stop for about 6 months ….

franksinatra

you only need the tv licence if its used to recieve a live broadcast …

I was sure you needed one if you had equipment capable of recieving a live picture, and all TV's are capable of that.

trail_rat
    Free Member

its only capible of recieving if connected to an aerial – My tv had 99 chanels of static and an AV1 with a DVD playing through it !

soops
    Free Member

dont go with the post office, a good deal with phone line included but customer service is uk based and don't know ther arse from ther elbow! **** they are!!
    Damn that red wine! 😛

spooky_b329

coffeeking – Member

Will save you the license fee!

Wrong! (unless you want to watch everything the day after everyone else)

No, your wrong! Nothing on iPlayer is real time, it is all time delay. Yes, you might have to wait a few hours before its online, but I've found once you have iplayer/Sky+/BT Vision or other hard drive recorder, the time of a program becomes irrelevant, you just watch it in the following days whenever it suits you best 🙂

If the laptop has a TV card installed then you need a license whether you plug it into a TV or watch it onscreen.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘what broadband provider’ is closed to new replies.