Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What bouncy fork for my old Inbred 29er?
  • bonzodog
    Free Member

Ive never had front suspension on my old original Inbred 29er. I started off with the white steel forks and then upgraded to the excellent On-One carbon rigid fork.

I’m not an enduro/downhill rider, just looking for something to reduce the ‘trauma’ on my aging bones. Ive been out of touch with whats about, so rather than trawling the net thought Id seek guidance from the Singletrack massive.

Any recommendations?

tomhoward

Lauf?

bonzodog
    Free Member

Had to google Lauf – definitely been out of touch for too long.

Look wonderful, but perhaps a little rich price wise.

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Lauf? You got to be kidding me…

Pigshitugly, overpriced, pogostick…

Had pair of Rebas on my 29er Inbred. Initially 100mm, then extended to 120mm.

That transformed the bike into pretty competent trail machine. Only sold it as I was longing to be on the full suss again.

Cheers!
    I.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Lauf?

had to google as well…
    Interesting forks!

maybe an idea as well:
    https://www.bike-components.de/en/Fox-Racing-Shox/34-Float-29-130-Grip-Rhythm-51-Boost-Suspension-Fork-2017-OEM-p61616/

130 mm travel. You would need a new “BOOST” front wheel.
    29 inch boost front wheel: Shimano? Maybe in winter sale for little money available right now?

Your frame has a 44 mm I.D. headtube (no idea if this is the case)?
    possible headset then
    https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view-product/Uberbike-15-Headtube-Tapered-Fork-Headset-Ceramic-Bearings-Red

When using a lot of sag (low pressure)- this fork might be very plush / might help you?

Review of the fork:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjaMLm8qes0
    Guy Kesteven testing the Chameleon hardtail.

Good luck!

downhillfast
    Free Member

I put some Rockshox XC30 TK forks on my 29er Inbred last year.
    They were Ok, 100mn travel, lockout, regular q/r dropouts, perfectly adequate, and won’t break the bank. I change to rigid forks over winter.

highlandman
    Free Member

Older 29er Inbreds like the OP’s (and mine, from 2007) are going to have the old style headset, 1 1/8″ only so cannot be fitted with a modern tapered fork. That limits choice quite a bit, to older, cheap and cheerful designs from Rockshox and not much else really, besides second hand. Reba is probably the best of a fair bunch but not easy to find suitable stock. I’ve been thinking along the same lines myself; mine has the carbon fork but has been getting taken on increasingly lumpy off road multi-days lately and the same applies, it’s beating me up. I’ve not looked, but perhaps there might be older stock from Manitou available someplace too? Their forks have been getting better rather quietly in recent years, no fanfares, just gradually regaining respectability.

chestrockwell

My mate got some Suntour for his recently. Thinks they do the job.

faustus

It’s a limited choice because it has to be straight steerer and 100mm is the recommended max for the frame. 120mm might be pushing it beyond desirable.

emac65
    Free Member

Recommended max travel is hoss shit IMO(although it may void your warranty, if you tell them 8) ). It’s whatever you prefer running with, obviously going too big might be silly, but I’ve gone between 20-40mm over on fair few bikes & had no issues .. The only bike I’ve never liked when using a longer than recommended fork, or rather one didn’t appear to feel any better was an Anthem… All the others have always felt better & haven’t caused any issues to the frame structure.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Fork wise it’s slim pickings at the minute for non tapered forks. Most have been sold and now there are only a few made which they charge alot for. Havn’t seen any cheap Reba’s or SID’s for a while.

CRC have 100mm, black, straight steerer, 29er, 9mm axle, motion control damper air fork, Rock Shox Recon’s for £200. Same as Reba possiby but with cheaper heavier steel uppers compared to alloy on the reba’s (otherwisde I think its a Reba). Coil version is cheaper still.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox-recon-silver-rl-solo-air-forks-9mmqr-2018/rp-prod160844?gs=1&pgrid=39252759720)&ptaid=aud-111606983596:pla-187101508156&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Product+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sGIO0sbVU_dc|pcrid|161846717734|pkw||pmt||prd|592409UK

Besides a fork you could buy a Thudbuster. That with the flex of a titanium railed B17, it’s like riding an armchair! 2.4’s on wide rims also.

sanername

X-fusion, if they currently aren’t, were still doing 1 1/8 forks until very recently. Personally I loved my inbred 29er rigid with a 3.0 Dirt Wizard, Jones bars and ESI grips. Which gave it a whole load of upfront cush without suspension and I’m pushing 40 with a couple of fused vertebrae.

bonzodog
    Free Member

Hey milfordvet thanks for the tip on those RL’s

That’s much more the sorta money I want to spend 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What bouncy fork for my old Inbred 29er?’ is closed to new replies.