Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • what booze for STW hip flask? entry level alcoholic requires advice
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Seriously though, does no-one think they've crossed some sort of line when they pack an alcoholic drink while going for a ride? 😀

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

absolutely

and it's a line i like alot 🙂

Flash
    Free Member

Knowing you and your usual "Metrosexual Drinks" you go for I suggest Creme de Cassis

alwyn
    Free Member

Absinthe?

bassspine
    Free Member

Another vote for sloe gin

(Scrumpy? ridiculous idea unless your hip flask holds a pint)

Coffeeking: the line is crossed when your camelback is full of real ale O_o

therealhoops
    Free Member

ignore Flash, he fills his camelbak with Black Tower, (Blue Nun if it's a night ride)
    I'm gonna try scrump and then venture onto the harder stuff. Flash, curry at our place?

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Here's one to annoy the whiskey lovers, bramble whiskey. that'll be in my hip flask come the colder months.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Running low on the sloe gin from last year, 4l obviously wasn't enough. Picked my sloes this evening for this years batch. Hip flask currently sporting Aberlour 10yo, which is very nice. I've had a few odd looks on the STW rides if it comes along with me. I believe it to be compulsory on night rides though…

woodey
    Free Member

Grappa, preferably Barolo

Thread closed 😆

TooTall
    Free Member

Picked my sloes this evening for this years batch.

Hence why you run out so quickly – you CANNOT pick enough sloes in one evening for a years supply! Get back to work and pick more!

Sainsburys have put up the price of their own brand gin – bastids!

therealhoops
    Free Member

Bramble whiskey sounds ace!!!! where can I get some?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Cant find any sloes 🙁

justme
    Free Member

found some stuff in norway one year when out there winter climbing dont remenber what it was called but it got referred to as the liver warmer g

binners

Anyone who came on the South Manchester Massive bonfire night ride last year will testify that Absinthe is simply the only ingredient required.

It was an interesting ride home. From what I remember. There were a lot of unidentified drinking injuries reported the next morning. Unsurprisingly enough

shortcut

A couple of the guys I ride with have whisky mac which is fantastic and makes a nice change from the single malt I carry.

Port makes another good alternative.

Riding in winter you need something that can cope with being cold!

therealhoops
    Free Member

Flash – curry update, how do you fancy a Koala Lumpa instead? I've left a message on their phone re: 8pm Sat

tazzymtb

decent quality absinthe….make sure it's got the wormwood in it (hapsburg is good) makes the night rides even more "intersting" 😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

Sorry to go against the flow a bit but consider Lidl. If your riding is a solitary affair consisting of classic rides with beautiful sunsets and warm afternnons in the hills by all means consider a good malt. I would. If however you tend to cold wet winter slogs in mud or across god farsaken rain sodden hills then might I suggest some cheap rum or brandy from the above retailer. a) you won't care what it is so save some money and b) why waste the good stuff on your mates who will be sure to help you finish it. In fact you can try this once or twice, whilst sampling their 18th centuary malt of course, and then get a reputation which will stop them thieving it agin. You then switch back to malt. Actually rum is very nice in the hills. Cheap Korean whisky is very good to take to the bath. 1 pint glass. 2" whisky, 1" Ribena. top up with hot water. 😀

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

There are some nice "pure malts" which are blends containing only malt whisky. The problem with common-all-garden "blends" is the large grain whisky content which is bland and harsh (and cheap). Saying that, some are agreeable and most mix well. I enjoyed the Loch Fyne blended and the Ben Nevis blended with a little water.

But I don't like drinking whisky when it's chilled. I'd put navy rum in the flask.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Loads of recipes on the web the bbc site has one. Basically brambles whiskey and sugar.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘what booze for STW hip flask? entry level alcoholic requires advice’ is closed to new replies.