Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • What BMX for my lad?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

So, he’s skating to school every day and now wants a BMX. One not to deny such wanton consumerism I need to get him a new/used BMX. Got to be something he can ride to and from school and ride on the skate park. He’s 12 and has this unbridled enthusiasm I don’t want to curtail. Currently bezzing round the garden trying to perfect bunny hops. It hurts my inner mtb chi but learning to ride on a BMX is a good thing im sure. His money 150quids if possible…

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

At that price range you need to go secondhand. A new £150 box will be awful/dangerous as soon as he progresses (and kids of that age progress real quick)…

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yes intention was second hand but I’m way out the BMX game so no idea what to look for, do Raleigh still sell chrome burners?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Currently on a mongoose mischief which causes me a mischief if I try and lift the **** thing!

bangaio
    Free Member

I’m selling my old fly pantera on eBay at the moment. You would need cranks chain and wheels but it’s a great frame forks and kit. Full cromo.

Link

wrightyson
    Free Member

Bump for any more advice.

hammerite
    Free Member

Jnr has had a Haro ZX20 that has been sat in the garage unused for the past couple of years. Before that it wasn’t used massively. He bought it himself new with his birthday money when he was probably a similar age to your son.

It has a few scratches from use, but it’s all superficial. He’d be happy to let it go for £65.

It’s this and he actually bought it from Custom Riders (the shop in the link)
    https://www.customriders.com/prodshow.asp?prodid=15989&cat=0&parent=0&sid=3

hammerite
    Free Member

BTW that wasn’t a recommendation or advice, I’m clueless when it comes to BMX bikes.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Thanks for that. I’ll show laddo. Any other advice?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Second hand, look on the usual suspects like ebay/gumtree/facebook/pinkbike.

You probably want something with a 19 to 20″ top tube if he’s not tall yet (so that Fly Pantera up there would probs be a bit big).

Look for a full cromo frame, 3 piece cranks, lightweight/minimalist seat and seatpost setup, internal headset, cassette hub etc. If it’s got these features then it’ll probably be an alrite, fairly up to date bike.

Also, make sure it hasn’t got massive bars.

yossarian
    Free Member

Good advice ^^

Can you stretch to 200?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282549101172

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142432361262

Couple of nice ones on the bay – one has 45 mins to go!

We the people are a decent brand. Just google the make and steer clear of the obvious crap.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Whatever you do, don’t buy a mafia!!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘What BMX for my lad?’ is closed to new replies.