• This topic has 18 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gogg.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • what bike touring tent for appx £150-220 (will i die if cheaper?) (sorry!)
  • back2basics
    Free Member

as title says,
    looking at Scottish camping here and will therefore need to be good against wind and rain and m*dges! 😉

Been looking at Vango Havoc 200, good reviews too.
    North face ones always seem to come up trumps but pricey….
    not sure about Mountain Hardware – reviews on their 2P tents are not great.
    Terra Nova seem pricey!

anyone know of discount online places would be great.

cheers for any info.

AlexSimon

Every-so-often the Terra Nova Laser Competition is available within your budget. Only one I can see at the mo is an ebay ‘new unused’ one for £190.

That’s the only one on your list I’ve actually used.

oliverracing

I’ve got a Vango Tempest 200 – about half the price of the Havoc and about the same weight.

It seems to do the job and is easy to put up, I’m yet to experience a storm in it but will be using it for cycling to slovenia this summer so I guess it will get a proper test then.

AlexSimon

This Wild Country tent seems to be the same design (same company) as the Laser, but with cheaper, heavier materials:
    http://www.fieldandtrek.com/wild-country-1-tent-783154

Dales_rider
    Free Member

If its a long term investment Terra Nova.
    For biking I have a Jack Wolfskin “Bike and Hike”
    They dont do it now but do have the Gossamer XT

AlexSimon

Do you need one for 2-people OP?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

A point to add is all my small tents are capable of being pitched with just the inner having Mossie net doors, I find this feature very useful. Some tents you have to pitch both fly and inner together.

rudedog
    Free Member

Wild County Zephyros is light, cheap and gets good reviews

back2basics
    Free Member

ah yes – sorry – its a 2P and the 2nd P is a wiggly P…very wiggly. 😀

rudedog
    Free Member

For 2 people, I’d go for the Wild country Zephyros 2 XL – its bigger than the standard 2 person tent, has good headroom, has 2 doors and still only weighs around 1.8kg. Can be had for £166 for Tiso at the moment.

AlexSimon

For more than one person, I’m a massive fan of the GoLite Shangrila (used to be call Hex), but by the time you’ve got an inner I think it’ll be over-budget.
    Also – not sure about uk distribution for these any more.
    Fabulously roomy though for the weight.

chris_db
    Free Member

Something like the Force Ten Nitro 200+ would suit, however a bit pricey… The lower spec Pulsar 200 is essentially the same tent. I have the nitro and the extended porch is brilliant for storage and cooking in crap weather.

\chris

trail_rat
    Free Member

vaude taurus 2

we gave it 6 months of constant pitching and striking daily in nz and it still works…..

AlexSimon

Some other interesting ideas and products here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/page/0/

AlexSimon

I see they do a 2XL version of the Zephyros
    It looks like a great weight/space/price ratio to me.

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/wild-country-tents-zephyros-lite-2xl-tent-72110252?channel_code=110&id_colour=98&product_code=73501826&utm_source=google-shopping&_$ja=tsid:45886&_$$ja=cgid:5263163572|tsid:45886|cid:102736972|lid:20268135532|nw:search|crid:15986543572|dvc:c|adp:1o2|bku:1&gclid=CPis5Miu3b4CFRQctAodNAcAFg&gclsrc=aw.ds

back2basics
    Free Member

i’m liking the Zepyhyros 2XL !!!

anyone tried the tristar 2?

trisar 2

TPTcruiser

The CTC member magazine, Cycle, has a review of 2P tents, arrived at home last Wednesday. I’ll have another look at it tonight. Post anything useful tomorrow.

back2basics
    Free Member

anyone use any of the marmot tent range?

gogg
    Free Member

Zephyros 2 on offer at my LBS.

I have an old laser, the model it’s based on (just uses lighter/higher spec materials). Very good.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘what bike touring tent for appx £150-220 (will i die if cheaper?) (sorry!)’ is closed to new replies.